compaq deskpro EN strange ps

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rick Ward, Aug 13, 2003.

  1. Rick Ward

    Rick Ward Guest

    An old (PII 350) Compaq Deskpro EN blew up at work (courtesy of some idiot
    who flicked the switch at the back from 230v to 115v) and since these P/S
    are likely to be obsolete I opted for a generic (Hyena) PS replacement for
    it - the usual ATX PS with P4 plug on it.

    Strange thing is, while the PC fires up, there is no signal going to the
    monitor and it doesn't even post.

    Is there some strange unique PS that compaq installs in their machines? Or
    something intrinsically basic I am doing wrong??

    I've tested the machine with another PS from an identical model and it boots
    up fine so isn't a problem with the computer itself. And I've also tried the
    Hyena PS in a generic computer and it works fine too, so why won't it work
    in the compaq machine??

    Any advice gratefully received...

    cheers
    rick

    Rick Ward, Aug 13, 2003

  2. Rick Ward

    colinco Guest

    In article <3f3a0a58$>, Rick Ward wrote...
    > Is there some strange unique PS that compaq installs in their machines? Or
    > something intrinsically basic I am doing wrong??

    Are all the wire colours in the same places in the ATX plug?
    Dell had a habit of using special arrangements but I've used generic in a
    slightly earlier Compaq. Don't waste too much time on the Hyena as
    they're not very reliable.
    colinco, Aug 13, 2003

  3. Rick Ward

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Rick Ward" <> wrote in message
    > An old (PII 350) Compaq Deskpro EN blew up at work (courtesy of some idiot
    > who flicked the switch at the back from 230v to 115v) and since these P/S
    > are likely to be obsolete I opted for a generic (Hyena) PS replacement for
    > it - the usual ATX PS with P4 plug on it.
    >
    > Strange thing is, while the PC fires up, there is no signal going to the
    > monitor and it doesn't even post.
    >
    > Is there some strange unique PS that compaq installs in their machines? Or
    > something intrinsically basic I am doing wrong??
    >
    > I've tested the machine with another PS from an identical model and it

    boots
    > up fine so isn't a problem with the computer itself. And I've also tried

    the
    > Hyena PS in a generic computer and it works fine too, so why won't it work
    > in the compaq machine??
    >
    > Any advice gratefully received...

    Damn! I just threw away a few PSUs/parts for those machines a while ago as I
    figured no one would be wanting them and I needed a clean-out.

    Sorry.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---