    but on Intel's website it says that the AC97 implementation varies
    from manufacturer.

    Can anyone help?
    Jason Clinton, Dec 29, 2006

  2. Jason Clinton

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Jason Clinton wrote:
    > There seems to be a few of these been sold, ex-corporate, with the
    > hard drives wiped.
    >
    > I bought one of these and it came with a Windows 2000 Pro license.
    > I've seen installed Windows 2000 Pro on it and have downloaded the
    > video and chipset drivers from HP but can't find the audio drivers
    > despite searching the net.
    >
    > Specs of the machine are:
    >
    > Compaq Deskpro EN SFF
    > Celeron 733 CPU
    > Intel 815e chipset
    > Diagnostic software detects the audio chip as the intel 82801BA/BAM
    > but on Intel's website it says that the AC97 implementation varies
    > from manufacturer.
    >
    > Can anyone help?

    I've got several of these, and I can't recall the audio driver ever
    being a problem - is it included in the chipset driver, or does Windows
    load the correct driver after you install the chipset driver?

    The system running now shows it is using drivers supplied by Sensaura,
    (SoundMAX Digital Audio) but AFAIK I didn't do anything special to get
    them, so they either came from HP, or were supplied by Windows itself.

    It is a long time since I've done a bare install of one of these (mine
    are Deskpro ENS/815E with P667) so I can't recall the details; I'll see
    if I can find the relevant files. Great little fileservers, Very quiet.
    -=rjh=-, Dec 29, 2006

  3. T'was the Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:30:42 +1300 when I remembered Jason
    Clinton <> saying something like this:

    >Compaq Deskpro EN SFF
    >Celeron 733 CPU
    >Intel 815e chipset
    >Diagnostic software detects the audio chip as the intel 82801BA/BAM
    >but on Intel's website it says that the AC97 implementation varies
    >from manufacturer.
    >
    >Can anyone help?

    Tried HP's website?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Dec 29, 2006
  4. On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 00:20:41 +1300, Waylon Kenning
    <> wrote:

    >T'was the Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:30:42 +1300 when I remembered Jason
    >Clinton <> saying something like this:
    >
    >>Compaq Deskpro EN SFF
    >>Celeron 733 CPU
    >>Intel 815e chipset
    >>Diagnostic software detects the audio chip as the intel 82801BA/BAM
    >>but on Intel's website it says that the AC97 implementation varies
    >>from manufacturer.
    >>
    >>Can anyone help?

    >Tried HP's website?

    Yes and I got the graphics and chipset driver from there but it
    doesn't install the sound or network card (which the impression I got
    from the intel website is that these are implemented by the
    motherboard manufacturer rather than being integrated as part of the
    i815 chipset BICBW)

    I've emailed HP to see if they can help
    Jason Clinton, Dec 29, 2006
  5. On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:30:37 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:

    >Jason Clinton wrote:
    >> There seems to be a few of these been sold, ex-corporate, with the
    >> hard drives wiped.
    >>
    >> I bought one of these and it came with a Windows 2000 Pro license.
    >> I've seen installed Windows 2000 Pro on it and have downloaded the
    >> video and chipset drivers from HP but can't find the audio drivers
    >> despite searching the net.
    >>
    >> Specs of the machine are:
    >>
    >> Compaq Deskpro EN SFF
    >> Celeron 733 CPU
    >> Intel 815e chipset
    >> Diagnostic software detects the audio chip as the intel 82801BA/BAM
    >> but on Intel's website it says that the AC97 implementation varies
    >> from manufacturer.
    >>
    >> Can anyone help?
    >>

    >I've got several of these, and I can't recall the audio driver ever
    >being a problem - is it included in the chipset driver, or does Windows
    >load the correct driver after you install the chipset driver?
    >
    >The system running now shows it is using drivers supplied by Sensaura,
    >(SoundMAX Digital Audio) but AFAIK I didn't do anything special to get
    >them, so they either came from HP, or were supplied by Windows itself.
    >
    >It is a long time since I've done a bare install of one of these (mine
    >are Deskpro ENS/815E with P667) so I can't recall the details; I'll see
    >if I can find the relevant files. Great little fileservers, Very quiet.

    Hmmm I'll try looking for some Sensaura drivers.

    They're nice little units - small, quiet, and screwless with the neat
    little swivel feature to easily access the drive bays.
    Jason Clinton, Dec 29, 2006
  6. Jason Clinton

    Corky Guest

    On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 21:30:42 +1300, Jason Clinton <>
    wrote:

    >There seems to be a few of these been sold, ex-corporate, with the
    >hard drives wiped.
    >
    >I bought one of these and it came with a Windows 2000 Pro license.
    >I've seen installed Windows 2000 Pro on it and have downloaded the
    >video and chipset drivers from HP but can't find the audio drivers
    >despite searching the net.
    >
    >Specs of the machine are:
    >
    >Compaq Deskpro EN SFF
    >Celeron 733 CPU
    >Intel 815e chipset
    >Diagnostic software detects the audio chip as the intel 82801BA/BAM
    >but on Intel's website it says that the AC97 implementation varies
    >from manufacturer.
    >
    >Can anyone help?

    I downloaded an audio file which is named SP21180. It is 24mb and not
    sure what site I got it from sorry. Do a search for the file and all
    should be ok.

    Cheers Blair
    Corky, Dec 29, 2006
  7. Jason Clinton

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Jason Clinton wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:30:37 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jason Clinton wrote:
    >>> There seems to be a few of these been sold, ex-corporate, with the
    >>> hard drives wiped.
    >>>
    >>> I bought one of these and it came with a Windows 2000 Pro license.
    >>> I've seen installed Windows 2000 Pro on it and have downloaded the
    >>> video and chipset drivers from HP but can't find the audio drivers
    >>> despite searching the net.
    >>>
    >>> Specs of the machine are:
    >>>
    >>> Compaq Deskpro EN SFF
    >>> Celeron 733 CPU
    >>> Intel 815e chipset
    >>> Diagnostic software detects the audio chip as the intel 82801BA/BAM
    >>> but on Intel's website it says that the AC97 implementation varies
    >>> from manufacturer.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help?
    >>>

    >> I've got several of these, and I can't recall the audio driver ever
    >> being a problem - is it included in the chipset driver, or does Windows
    >> load the correct driver after you install the chipset driver?
    >>
    >> The system running now shows it is using drivers supplied by Sensaura,
    >> (SoundMAX Digital Audio) but AFAIK I didn't do anything special to get
    >> them, so they either came from HP, or were supplied by Windows itself.
    >>
    >> It is a long time since I've done a bare install of one of these (mine
    >> are Deskpro ENS/815E with P667) so I can't recall the details; I'll see
    >> if I can find the relevant files. Great little fileservers, Very quiet.

    > Hmmm I'll try looking for some Sensaura drivers.

    The only driver I've been able to find here is for the NIC, the filename
    is SP24563.exe, it is about 10MB size. Maybe if you search for that on
    the HP website, you might find links to the rest?

    > They're nice little units - small, quiet, and screwless with the neat
    > little swivel feature to easily access the drive bays.

    They are getting quite cheap now, usually <$50, sometimes around
    $50-$100 for a stack of 5 or 6. The market for them is pretty well
    flooded, so Turners have trouble getting rid of them now, but makes it
    cheap enough to keep some around for spares - I've had a couple fail
    recently. problem is, I think that if the returns aren't good enough,
    they go straight to the tip, which really is a shame.

    Up until a week ago, one of these (P667, 384MB, 20GB, W2K) was my main
    and fastest system. No problem running dual displays with ATI Radeon
    PCI, and the system performed really well in all areas except newer
    games. I have a similar system (128M, CentOS) running 24/7 as a fileserver.

    [ @fileserver ~]$ uptime
    10:27:11 up 149 days, 21:21, 1 user, load average: 0.24, 0.06, 0.02

    If you are planning on using as a fileserver, don't upgrade the bios -
    you lose the ability to boot without a keyboard. They run 300+MB drives
    no problem without the upgrade.

    They are a little picky about memory, too.
    -=rjh=-, Dec 29, 2006
  8. Jason Clinton

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Jason Clinton wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 23:30:37 +1300, -=rjh=- <> wrote:
    >
    >> Jason Clinton wrote:
    >>> There seems to be a few of these been sold, ex-corporate, with the
    >>> hard drives wiped.
    >>>
    >>> I bought one of these and it came with a Windows 2000 Pro license.
    >>> I've seen installed Windows 2000 Pro on it and have downloaded the
    >>> video and chipset drivers from HP but can't find the audio drivers
    >>> despite searching the net.
    >>>
    >>> Specs of the machine are:
    >>>
    >>> Compaq Deskpro EN SFF
    >>> Celeron 733 CPU
    >>> Intel 815e chipset
    >>> Diagnostic software detects the audio chip as the intel 82801BA/BAM
    >>> but on Intel's website it says that the AC97 implementation varies
    >>> from manufacturer.
    >>>
    >>> Can anyone help?
    >>>

    >> I've got several of these, and I can't recall the audio driver ever
    >> being a problem - is it included in the chipset driver, or does Windows
    >> load the correct driver after you install the chipset driver?
    >>
    >> The system running now shows it is using drivers supplied by Sensaura,
    >> (SoundMAX Digital Audio) but AFAIK I didn't do anything special to get
    >> them, so they either came from HP, or were supplied by Windows itself.
    >>
    >> It is a long time since I've done a bare install of one of these (mine
    >> are Deskpro ENS/815E with P667) so I can't recall the details; I'll see
    >> if I can find the relevant files. Great little fileservers, Very quiet.

    > Hmmm I'll try looking for some Sensaura drivers.
    >
    > They're nice little units - small, quiet, and screwless with the neat
    > little swivel feature to easily access the drive bays.

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...riesId=96268&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=181

    HTH and isn't session dependent.
    -=rjh=-, Dec 29, 2006
  9. Jason Clinton, Dec 30, 2006