Compaq Deskpro Bios only recognises 16 of NEW 80gig HD

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Fred-C, Nov 13, 2005.

  1. Fred-C

    Fred-C Guest

    I have a rather old compaq deskpro, 647mhz intel processor running XP
    (without any boot diskettes) , i have had a 10 gig hdd since i bought the
    computer fer a tenner, a year ago, and i put a 4 gig slave drive in it. Now
    i know these are small drives, but I have just bought an 80 gig maxtor hdd,
    and when i insert it, in place of the slave, it is not recognised..altho, in
    ctrl settings/system/ its THERE.. and when i ran my computer using it as the
    master, (i was gonna install xp on the maxtor 80) it only found 16 of the 80
    gig , something about the bios being old and ya have to run a maxtor app to
    reclaim some more of the hdd.

    Right...as i have no boot diskettes/disks , how do i get to even install
    this hdd, as it does not give me the option to partition the disk, or
    anything...BUT i also have 3 other hdd's all about 4-5 gig, and NONE of
    them, when i used them as slave drives needed partitioning, or tell the
    computer to make them a d: slave, (C: master) it just was! - no input needed
    from me.

    So if i take my master(10 gig) off the computer, there goes my o/s , i have
    an installation disk (xp its worked on my 10gig fer months, not new, not
    even orig.) so what shud be my 1st move, thats all i want to know, should i
    keep with the making it a slave, and take the 16 if it is offered to me, and
    hope that maxtor have a program/app that gives me some of the wasted memory,
    ?

    Do I have to format the hdd(80)? how do i even create a bootable disk to
    start the whole installation off? any help is good help at this point... my
    bios is old , 1999, 686T2 , it seems shitty to have to take only 16gig out
    of a brand new 80 gig hard disk?
    what do you advise please? Thanks, and i hope someone can help me make some
    decision what i should do - Fred - C
     
    Fred-C, Nov 13, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Fred-C

    Tony Guest

    "Fred-C" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:Jwdf.5699$...
    >I have a rather old compaq deskpro, 647mhz intel processor running XP
    > (without any boot diskettes) , i have had a 10 gig hdd since i bought the
    > computer fer a tenner, a year ago, and i put a 4 gig slave drive in it.
    > Now
    > i know these are small drives, but I have just bought an 80 gig maxtor
    > hdd,
    > and when i insert it, in place of the slave, it is not recognised..altho,
    > in
    > ctrl settings/system/ its THERE.. and when i ran my computer using it as
    > the
    > master, (i was gonna install xp on the maxtor 80) it only found 16 of the
    > 80
    > gig , something about the bios being old and ya have to run a maxtor app
    > to
    > reclaim some more of the hdd.
    >
    > Right...as i have no boot diskettes/disks , how do i get to even install
    > this hdd, as it does not give me the option to partition the disk, or
    > anything...BUT i also have 3 other hdd's all about 4-5 gig, and NONE of
    > them, when i used them as slave drives needed partitioning, or tell the
    > computer to make them a d: slave, (C: master) it just was! - no input
    > needed
    > from me.
    >
    > So if i take my master(10 gig) off the computer, there goes my o/s , i
    > have
    > an installation disk (xp its worked on my 10gig fer months, not new, not
    > even orig.) so what shud be my 1st move, thats all i want to know, should
    > i
    > keep with the making it a slave, and take the 16 if it is offered to me,
    > and
    > hope that maxtor have a program/app that gives me some of the wasted
    > memory,
    > ?
    >
    > Do I have to format the hdd(80)? how do i even create a bootable disk to
    > start the whole installation off? any help is good help at this point...
    > my
    > bios is old , 1999, 686T2 , it seems shitty to have to take only 16gig out
    > of a brand new 80 gig hard disk?
    > what do you advise please? Thanks, and i hope someone can help me make
    > some
    > decision what i should do - Fred - C
    >

    It is probably a BIOS restriction but you can probably overcome it by
    installing the hard drive using maxtor software
    http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...oftware Downloads/All Downloads&downloadID=57 .
    It will probably partion the drive in smaller partitions that the BIOS will
    recognise.
     
    Tony, Nov 13, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Fred-C

    Trax Guest

    "Fred-C" <> wrote:

    |>I have a rather old compaq deskpro, 647mhz intel processor running XP
    |>(without any boot diskettes) , i have had a 10 gig hdd since i bought the
    |>computer fer a tenner, a year ago, and i put a 4 gig slave drive in it. Now
    |>i know these are small drives, but I have just bought an 80 gig maxtor hdd,
    |>and when i insert it, in place of the slave, it is not recognised..altho, in
    |>ctrl settings/system/ its THERE.. and when i ran my computer using it as the
    |>master, (i was gonna install xp on the maxtor 80) it only found 16 of the 80
    |>gig , something about the bios being old and ya have to run a maxtor app to
    |>reclaim some more of the hdd.
    |>
    |>Right...as i have no boot diskettes/disks , how do i get to even install
    |>this hdd, as it does not give me the option to partition the disk, or
    |>anything...BUT i also have 3 other hdd's all about 4-5 gig, and NONE of
    |>them, when i used them as slave drives needed partitioning, or tell the
    |>computer to make them a d: slave, (C: master) it just was! - no input needed
    |>from me.
    |>
    |>So if i take my master(10 gig) off the computer, there goes my o/s , i have
    |>an installation disk (xp its worked on my 10gig fer months, not new, not
    |>even orig.) so what shud be my 1st move, thats all i want to know, should i
    |>keep with the making it a slave, and take the 16 if it is offered to me, and
    |>hope that maxtor have a program/app that gives me some of the wasted memory,
    |>?
    |>
    |>Do I have to format the hdd(80)? how do i even create a bootable disk to
    |>start the whole installation off? any help is good help at this point... my
    |>bios is old , 1999, 686T2 , it seems shitty to have to take only 16gig out
    |>of a brand new 80 gig hard disk?
    |>what do you advise please? Thanks, and i hope someone can help me make some
    |>decision what i should do - Fred - C
    |>

    You need to install ez-drive (A dynamic drive overlay), to do so you
    need to run Maxiblast that Tony link'd to.

    You will need to format a Floppy then run maxiblast it will create a
    bootable floppy that you will set up the HD with.

    --
    http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_eye_of_god.htm
     
    Trax, Nov 13, 2005
    #3
  4. Fred-C

    Alan Guest

    Trax wrote:
    > "Fred-C" <> wrote:
    >
    > |>I have a rather old compaq deskpro, 647mhz intel processor running XP
    > |>(without any boot diskettes) , i have had a 10 gig hdd since i bought the
    > |>computer fer a tenner, a year ago, and i put a 4 gig slave drive in it. Now
    > |>i know these are small drives, but I have just bought an 80 gig maxtor hdd,
    > |>and when i insert it, in place of the slave, it is not recognised..altho, in
    > |>ctrl settings/system/ its THERE.. and when i ran my computer using it as the
    > |>master, (i was gonna install xp on the maxtor 80) it only found 16 of the 80
    > |>gig , something about the bios being old and ya have to run a maxtor app to
    > |>reclaim some more of the hdd.
    > |>
    > |>Right...as i have no boot diskettes/disks , how do i get to even install
    > |>this hdd, as it does not give me the option to partition the disk, or
    > |>anything...BUT i also have 3 other hdd's all about 4-5 gig, and NONE of
    > |>them, when i used them as slave drives needed partitioning, or tell the
    > |>computer to make them a d: slave, (C: master) it just was! - no input needed
    > |>from me.
    > |>
    > |>So if i take my master(10 gig) off the computer, there goes my o/s , i have
    > |>an installation disk (xp its worked on my 10gig fer months, not new, not
    > |>even orig.) so what shud be my 1st move, thats all i want to know, should i
    > |>keep with the making it a slave, and take the 16 if it is offered to me, and
    > |>hope that maxtor have a program/app that gives me some of the wasted memory,
    > |>?
    > |>
    > |>Do I have to format the hdd(80)? how do i even create a bootable disk to
    > |>start the whole installation off? any help is good help at this point... my
    > |>bios is old , 1999, 686T2 , it seems shitty to have to take only 16gig out
    > |>of a brand new 80 gig hard disk?
    > |>what do you advise please? Thanks, and i hope someone can help me make some
    > |>decision what i should do - Fred - C
    > |>
    >
    > You need to install ez-drive (A dynamic drive overlay), to do so you
    > need to run Maxiblast that Tony link'd to.
    >
    > You will need to format a Floppy then run maxiblast it will create a
    > bootable floppy that you will set up the HD with.
    >

    I'm suprised that the HDD didnt come with such software..
     
    Alan, Nov 13, 2005
    #4
  5. Alan wrote:

    > I'm suprised that the HDD didnt come with such software..


    Usually if you buy the retail version in the pretty box and with
    instructions, they include utilities too. If you buy OEM, you get a
    drive in a gray plastic bag, nothing else.
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 13, 2005
    #5
  6. Fred-C

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Rôgêr spewed forth:
    > Alan wrote:
    >
    >> I'm suprised that the HDD didnt come with such software..

    >
    > Usually if you buy the retail version in the pretty box and with
    > instructions, they include utilities too. If you buy OEM, you get a
    > drive in a gray plastic bag, nothing else.


    And the warranty is often severely limited too. But I still usually buy OEM,
    unless I'm installing a drive for someone else who insists on the warranty.
    'Cause *I* ain't gonna cover it <grin>

    --
    There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking
    like an idiot.
     
    Toolman Tim, Nov 13, 2005
    #6
  7. Fred-C

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    news:gszdf.9966$...
    >
    >
    > In news:,
    > Rôgêr spewed forth:
    >> Alan wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm suprised that the HDD didnt come with such software..

    >>
    >> Usually if you buy the retail version in the pretty box and with
    >> instructions, they include utilities too. If you buy OEM, you get a
    >> drive in a gray plastic bag, nothing else.

    >
    > And the warranty is often severely limited too. But I still usually buy
    > OEM, unless I'm installing a drive for someone else who insists on the
    > warranty. 'Cause *I* ain't gonna cover it <grin>


    Odd the warrenty is less - I get the same warrenty on OEM as Retail from my
    suppliers.

    Dan







    .................................................................
    Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
    >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

    -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
     
    Dan Evans, Nov 13, 2005
    #7
  8. Dan Evans wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > news:gszdf.9966$...
    >
    >>
    >>In news:,
    >>Rôgêr spewed forth:
    >>
    >>>Alan wrote:
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>>I'm suprised that the HDD didnt come with such software..
    >>>
    >>>Usually if you buy the retail version in the pretty box and with
    >>>instructions, they include utilities too. If you buy OEM, you get a
    >>>drive in a gray plastic bag, nothing else.

    >>
    >>And the warranty is often severely limited too. But I still usually buy
    >>OEM, unless I'm installing a drive for someone else who insists on the
    >>warranty. 'Cause *I* ain't gonna cover it <grin>

    >
    >
    > Odd the warrenty is less - I get the same warrenty on OEM as Retail from my
    > suppliers.


    The way it's supposed to work is that if you buy a retail box the mfg
    stands behind the product for the warranty period. If you buy OEM, the
    seller stands behind the product for whatever period they choose. That's
    the rationale behind selling them for less to retailers. But in practice
    the HD mfg's usually are cooperative. That's not true of some other
    types of products, the mfg will tell you to go see the retailer for any
    warranty coverage.
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 13, 2005
    #8
  9. Fred-C

    Fred-C Guest

    Thanks for the advice, i will get onto that immediately..I am very confused
    about the whole 'booting from disk' scenario..But if the above options work,
    then it will provide me with the option of making a 3 1/2 " floppy bootable,
    or a cd 1. Hope So.. As i have 'no' floppies that will boot my Pc, in fact,
    i am sure i used to have the 'create boot disk' in the control/system but it
    isn't there .. i am quite sure i once used this option to make a bootableon
    another XP i had.
    Like i said, thanks fer the info..appreciated! - will post if anything
    ballses up, pls keep an eye out.. Ta - Fred -
     
    Fred-C, Nov 13, 2005
    #9
  10. Fred-C

    Tony Guest

    "Fred-C" <> wrote in message
    news:YvIdf.8960$...
    > Thanks for the advice, i will get onto that immediately..I am very
    > confused
    > about the whole 'booting from disk' scenario..But if the above options
    > work,
    > then it will provide me with the option of making a 3 1/2 " floppy
    > bootable,
    > or a cd 1. Hope So.. As i have 'no' floppies that will boot my Pc, in
    > fact,
    > i am sure i used to have the 'create boot disk' in the control/system but
    > it
    > isn't there .. i am quite sure i once used this option to make a
    > bootableon
    > another XP i had.
    > Like i said, thanks fer the info..appreciated! - will post if anything
    > ballses up, pls keep an eye out.. Ta - Fred -
    >

    If you want to create a boot disk in XP, insert the floppy, go to my
    computer, right click on the floppy drive, select format and put a check in
    the Create an MS-DOS startup disk, then click on start.
     
    Tony, Nov 13, 2005
    #10
  11. Fred-C

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > The way it's supposed to work is that if you buy a retail box the mfg
    > stands behind the product for the warranty period. If you buy OEM, the
    > seller stands behind the product for whatever period they choose. That's
    > the rationale behind selling them for less to retailers.


    I get the same garantee for OEM or retail - perhaps different laws for
    different areas? The difference between the two for me is that I don't get
    the bundled software or the fancy box, I usually don't get the
    connectors/cables and I have to provide the product support not the
    manufacturer. I was under the impression that the price difference reflected
    that, plus the fact the manufacturer doesn't have to market to the same
    level for the sale, and they are getting several sales for the same buyer -
    I go and buy 10 $brand soundcards as I have decided to standardise on that
    and push them out to my clients.

    Dan







    .................................................................
    Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
    >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

    -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
     
    Dan Evans, Nov 13, 2005
    #11
  12. Fred-C

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:4377babb$0$1895$,
    Dan Evans spewed forth:
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >> The way it's supposed to work is that if you buy a retail box the mfg
    >> stands behind the product for the warranty period. If you buy OEM,
    >> the seller stands behind the product for whatever period they
    >> choose. That's the rationale behind selling them for less to
    >> retailers.

    >
    > I get the same garantee for OEM or retail - perhaps different laws for
    > different areas? The difference between the two for me is that I
    > don't get the bundled software or the fancy box, I usually don't get
    > the connectors/cables and I have to provide the product support not
    > the manufacturer. I was under the impression that the price
    > difference reflected that, plus the fact the manufacturer doesn't
    > have to market to the same level for the sale, and they are getting
    > several sales for the same buyer - I go and buy 10 $brand soundcards
    > as I have decided to standardise on that and push them out to my
    > clients.
    > Dan
    >
    >


    The OEM drives I get mail order come with 90 day, 1 year, etc. warranties
    from the vendor, not from WD or Maxtor, etc. I don't think it's a much the
    laws as company policy from the vendor. The vendor doesn't have to provide a
    warranty to match the retail warranty. If they choose to do so, that's
    great: obviously the drives are the same. But, as with most things OEM, the
    vendor (reseller) provides the warranty, not the manufacturer.

    The company I work for does some of our products in a 'private label'
    package. While we sell our brand with a lifetime warranty, we don't warranty
    the private label product at all. They buy it for significantly less, and
    provide their own warranty to their customers. So if there's a claim on a
    private label item, we don't have any liability. (Of course, if it's a
    significant problem, we'll work with the vendors to resolve it - credits or
    replacements, etc.)

    I don't buy enough discrete hardware components anymore to get many 'perks'
    from the vendors. In fact, my volume has dropped to the point that my former
    vendor won't sell me - they have minimum requirements. So I've gone to
    buying from NewEgg, MWave, and other web vendors. So that may be an
    advantage you have as well - an established vendor relationship that
    provides you a little better than average service :)

    --
    There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking
    like an idiot.
     
    Toolman Tim, Nov 13, 2005
    #12
  13. Fred-C

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    news:ebPdf.10817$...

    > The OEM drives I get mail order come with 90 day, 1 year, etc. warranties
    > from the vendor, not from WD or Maxtor, etc. I don't think it's a much the
    > laws as company policy from the vendor.


    By law here, nothing has less than 1 year warranty

    > The vendor doesn't have to provide a warranty to match the retail
    > warranty. If they choose to do so, that's great: obviously the drives are
    > the same. But, as with most things OEM, the vendor (reseller) provides the
    > warranty, not the manufacturer.


    All of my kit gets manufacturers warranty - I had a crappy 5 port switch
    shit itself, and rather than RMA to my supplier, I had to ring the
    manufacturer for an RMA, and they sent a courier to pick it up and give me
    the replacement. Unless they had a shit hot deal with the courier, it must
    have cost twice what the switch was worth.

    Dan







    .................................................................
    Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
    >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

    -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
     
    Dan Evans, Nov 14, 2005
    #13
  14. Dan Evans wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > news:ebPdf.10817$...
    >
    >
    >>The OEM drives I get mail order come with 90 day, 1 year, etc. warranties
    >>from the vendor, not from WD or Maxtor, etc. I don't think it's a much the
    >>laws as company policy from the vendor.

    >
    >
    > By law here, nothing has less than 1 year warranty
    >
    >
    >>The vendor doesn't have to provide a warranty to match the retail
    >>warranty. If they choose to do so, that's great: obviously the drives are
    >>the same. But, as with most things OEM, the vendor (reseller) provides the
    >>warranty, not the manufacturer.

    >
    >
    > All of my kit gets manufacturers warranty - I had a crappy 5 port switch
    > shit itself, and rather than RMA to my supplier, I had to ring the
    > manufacturer for an RMA, and they sent a courier to pick it up and give me
    > the replacement. Unless they had a shit hot deal with the courier, it must
    > have cost twice what the switch was worth.


    Here I've got to pay the postage to send it back and either wait for a
    replacement or give them a credit card number to cross ship. Unless it's
    a fairly pricey item, often as not I'll just chuck the item into the
    trash rather than go through the RMA process.
     
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 14, 2005
    #14
  15. Fred-C

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    > Dan Evans wrote:
    >> "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> news:ebPdf.10817$...
    >>
    >>
    >>>The OEM drives I get mail order come with 90 day, 1 year, etc. warranties
    >>>from the vendor, not from WD or Maxtor, etc. I don't think it's a much
    >>>the laws as company policy from the vendor.

    >>
    >>
    >> By law here, nothing has less than 1 year warranty
    >>
    >>
    >>>The vendor doesn't have to provide a warranty to match the retail
    >>>warranty. If they choose to do so, that's great: obviously the drives are
    >>>the same. But, as with most things OEM, the vendor (reseller) provides
    >>>the warranty, not the manufacturer.

    >>
    >>
    >> All of my kit gets manufacturers warranty - I had a crappy 5 port switch
    >> shit itself, and rather than RMA to my supplier, I had to ring the
    >> manufacturer for an RMA, and they sent a courier to pick it up and give
    >> me the replacement. Unless they had a shit hot deal with the courier, it
    >> must have cost twice what the switch was worth.

    >
    > Here I've got to pay the postage to send it back and either wait for a
    > replacement or give them a credit card number to cross ship.


    That's what I was expecting with the switch. Not had cause to find out if I
    was lucky that time or if it was normal.

    > Unless it's a fairly pricey item, often as not I'll just chuck the item
    > into the trash rather than go through the RMA process.


    Anything costing less than 50 Euros I hang onto until I've got a few bits,
    or I need to go and get an order. Just nor worth my time otherwise

    Dan







    .................................................................
    Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access
    >>>> at http://www.TitanNews.com <<<<

    -=Every Newsgroup - Anonymous, UNCENSORED, BROADBAND Downloads=-
     
    Dan Evans, Nov 14, 2005
    #15
  16. Fred-C

    Plato Guest

    Tony wrote:
    >
    > > I have a rather old compaq deskpro, 647mhz intel processor running XP
    > > (without any boot diskettes) , i have had a 10 gig hdd since i bought the
    > > computer fer a tenner, a year ago, and i put a 4 gig slave drive in it.
    > > Now i know these are small drives, but I have just bought an 80 gig maxtor
    > > hdd, and when i insert it, in place of the slave, it is not recognised..altho,

    <
    > It is probably a BIOS restriction but you can probably overcome it by
    > installing the hard drive using maxtor software
    > http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/M...oftware Downloads/All Downloads&downloadID=57
    >
    > It will probably partion the drive in smaller partitions that the BIOS will
    > recognise.


    Or it may only create a single partition as large as the bios will
    allow.



    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
     
    Plato, Nov 14, 2005
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Lukus

    Compaq Deskpro 6000 usable without a HD???

    Lukus, Aug 28, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    940
    Ralph Wade Phillips
    Aug 29, 2003
  2. Data888

    Compaq Deskpro no video

    Data888, Dec 7, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    12
    Views:
    4,356
    °Mike°
    Dec 7, 2003
  3. computype1

    800 mhz COMPAQ DESKPRO EN (COMPLETE SYSTEM)

    computype1, Sep 29, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    579
    computype1
    Sep 29, 2004
  4. Doc

    Compaq PIII Deskpro now won't go into bios

    Doc, Jun 6, 2006, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    580
    Michael A. Terrell
    Jun 11, 2006
  5. TJ
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    386
Loading...

Share This Page