    be able to get to bios surely.

    Thanx
    Bazz

    bAZZ, May 19, 2004

  2. bAZZ

    EMB Guest

    In news:40ab0112$,
    bAZZ <> expelled:
    > Anyone know how to access bios in deskpro 2000 6266mmx ?????
    >
    > I know about the F10 trick but it don't work. Get a keyboard error and
    > 98 boots up. There is new hdd anyway so no hidden partition but I must
    > be able to get to bios surely.
    >
    > Thanx
    > Bazz

    Download the appropriate Softpaq from Compaq and make the diagnostic
    diskettes. Without a system utility partition on the HDD they are they only
    way in. Once you've made said diskettes it's probably worth using them to
    install a system partition.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply

    EMB, May 19, 2004

  3. bAZZ

    EMB Guest

    In news:c8ev7f$atd$,
    EMB <> expelled:

    http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Deskpro/us/download/263.html

    EMB, May 19, 2004
  4. bAZZ

    ~misfit~ Guest

    bAZZ wrote:
    > Anyone know how to access bios in deskpro 2000 6266mmx ?????
    >
    > I know about the F10 trick but it don't work. Get a keyboard error and
    > 98 boots up. There is new hdd anyway so no hidden partition but I must
    > be able to get to bios surely.

    You have to download and run the diagnostics from two floppys. AFAIK there
    isn't a 'BIOS' on-chip as such, it's all done on the diagnostics/setup
    partition. When you install a new HDD you're supposed to use those floppys
    to create the hidden partition before you format the rest of the drive and
    install the OS.

    You can download them and create the partition. I've done it a few times
    myself on old Prolineas etc.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 19, 2004
  5. bAZZ

    bAZZ Guest

    EMB wrote:

    > In news:c8ev7f$atd$,
    > EMB <> expelled:
    >
    >>Download the appropriate Softpaq from Compaq and make the diagnostic
    >>diskettes. Without a system utility partition on the HDD they are
    >>they only way in. Once you've made said diskettes it's probably
    >>worth using them to install a system partition.

    > http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/Deskpro/us/download/263.html

    Downloading now. Thanks.

    bazz

    bAZZ, May 19, 2004
  6. bAZZ

    paora Guest

    On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:32:39 +1200, bAZZ <>
    wrote:

    >Anyone know how to access bios in deskpro 2000 6266mmx ?????
    >
    >I know about the F10 trick but it don't work. Get a keyboard error and
    >98 boots up. There is new hdd anyway so no hidden partition but I must
    >be able to get to bios surely.
    >
    >Thanx
    >Bazz

    I think I had that problem once - not sure whether I just gave the F10
    another couple of tries ( rebooting again and again of course ) or if
    I had to move the bios setup jumper pin on the mb but I did manage to
    get to the bios whether any software diagnostic tool.

    paora, May 19, 2004
  7. bAZZ

    -=rjh=- Guest

    bAZZ wrote:

    > Anyone know how to access bios in deskpro 2000 6266mmx ?????
    >
    > I know about the F10 trick but it don't work. Get a keyboard error and
    > 98 boots up. There is new hdd anyway so no hidden partition but I must
    > be able to get to bios surely.
    >
    > Thanx
    > Bazz

    Some of those older Compaq systems only give access to bios settings if
    there is a diagnostics partition installed.

    Otherwise you'll need to download the setup disks from HP.

    HTH

    -=rjh=-, May 19, 2004
  8. On Wed, 19 May 2004 18:32:39 +1200, bAZZ wrote:

    > Anyone know how to access bios in deskpro 2000 6266mmx ?????
    >
    > I know about the F10 trick but it don't work. Get a keyboard error and
    > 98 boots up. There is new hdd anyway so no hidden partition but I must
    > be able to get to bios surely.

    If it's not built in on f10 or f1 then you will need to boot off a
    formatted floppy disk with compaq utilities loaded.

    This is downloadable from HPs website. Plug in the model and/or serial
    number, you will be directed to the right set of utilities.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, May 19, 2004