    I see that the drivers I will need for the laptop are on the Compaq/HP
    drivers download site. Can this be done without "Killing" the laptop.

    Thanks for any and all observations. Charlie

    Charlie Evans, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Charlie Evans

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Charlie Evans" <> wrote in message
    news:TP6re.2722$1q5.2399@trnddc02...
    > My brother just acquired a Compaq Armada M700 Laptop, W/Win2000 and Off
    > 2000 and some other minor programs. It has a 6 GB HD. He did not get any
    > software with the computer at all...My question, does this computer store
    > part of the bios on the HD, or is the BIOS stand alone. I want to wipe
    > the HD let XP Pro fdisk and format and then install WIn XP Pro with XP
    > Office. I see that the drivers I will need for the laptop are on the
    > Compaq/HP drivers download site. Can this be done without "Killing" the
    > laptop.
    >
    > Thanks for any and all observations. Charlie

    BIOS settings have always been stored in CMOS on the motherboard. Compaq
    used to put the setup utility on a special partition on the hard drive. If
    you ereased the HD, the computer still worked fine, but you couldn't make
    any changes to the settings (unless you had created the utilities diskette.)

    For the last several years, I think Compaq is doing things "normal" - the
    setup utility is no longer on the hard drive. Here's what I'd do: figure out
    how to get into the setup utility - F2, del key, whatever (it used to be
    F10 - I don't remember what Compaq uses now, but it shouldn't be too hard to
    figure out.) Check the settings. Power off, remove the HD, power on, check
    to see if you can still access the setup utility. If so, then there's no
    hidden utility partition.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 13, 2005

  3. Entered the BIOS with F10 at the little square upper right during bootup.
    Checked all the settings. Took the battery out and the HD out. Let it sit
    for a few minutes. Put the Battery back in and booted, entered the bios and
    hade the same settings.
    turned off reinstalled the HD and rebooted. Have the OP sys back, so guess
    there is nothing on the HD that would prevent a clean up and new Install of
    Win XP Pro.\

    Thank you very much for the information and the prompt reply

    Charlie Evans, Jun 13, 2005
  4. Charlie Evans

    Toolman Tim Guest

    You're welcome ;o)