Compaq Armada m700 keyboard problem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Kyote, Jun 21, 2007.

  1. Kyote

    Kyote Guest

    My brother sent me his old laptop when he got a new one. It worked
    just fine until yesterday. I was installing Zend Platform and MySQL to
    help simplify working with PHP when my keyboard suddenly started
    acting funny.

    When I press some keys it instead types a different character. Like
    the 'n' key now types '-' instead. But if I hold down the function key
    and press the 'n' key it works and I get the 'n' character.

    I tried downloading the Compaq keyboard drivers and reinstalling
    thinking that maybe during installation of the above software the
    driver may have gotten corrupted. But that didn't change anything. I
    then uninstalled everything I had been installing and still the
    keyboard is screwed up. I'm beginning to think that it's just an old
    laptop and the keyboard just happened to go out while I was using it.

    But I don't have any experience using laptops and figured someone here
    might know something I could do to fix the problem. Anyone have any
    ideas?
    ---
    Kyote

    Kyote, Jun 21, 2007

  2. Kyote

    - Bobb - Guest

    there is a 'keypad mode' that you have selected
    ( is the num lock light ON ? - middle of the 5 leds)
    page 32 of THIS manual

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_168893-001/TPM_168893-001.pdf

    " To disable the embedded numeric keypad-Press Fn+Num Lk. "

    They have all m700 manuals online - you might want to download them and
    save to the pc.

    http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsuppor...skId=101&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=96235

    - Bobb -, Jun 21, 2007

  3. Kyote

    Kyote Guest

    Thank you very very much Mate. I never even considered it might be the
    embedded keypad. You were correct. It is now working perfectly again.
    Also I want to thank you for the link to the manual. I saved a local
    copy as you suggested. I may even burn me a copy to a CD so I will
    always have that copy.

    Again, thank you for the help. I was so sure the keyboard had gone bad
    that I didn't even think to check my post here until just now. I'm
    glad I did.
    ---
    Kyote

    Kyote, Jun 25, 2007
  4. Kyote

    - Bobb - Guest

    Glad that it was something simple - often it's not.

    - Bobb -, Jun 25, 2007