    Love to hear any other thoughts on how to try to fix this.

    -Al

    , Jul 7, 2007

  2. Edward C. Guest

    The power supply needs to be changed. Unless you want to repair it
    yourself. Whatever is cheaper for you.

    -Edward

    Edward C., Jul 7, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Jul 7, 4:24 pm, "Edward C." <> wrote:
    > The power supply needs to be changed. Unless you want to repair it
    > yourself. Whatever is cheaper for you.
    >
    > -Edward
    >
    > On Jul 6, 8:58 pm, wrote:
    >

    > > Hi All,

    > > I have a laptop here that the user reports is dead. No lights at power
    > > on or any signs of life.

    > > The power adapter is outputting the correct volatge - check it with a
    > > multi meter.

    > > So I found the service manual and took the laptop apart, and when I
    > > put the power plug in the led on the motherboard came to life, so I
    > > put it back together and it booted into windows XP - yay.

    > > Then to be sure I tried to boot it again and it wouldnt boot at all,
    > > no power led's, but now I do hear the HDD spool up and the light on
    > > the side of the CD tray comes on.

    > > Something is clearly wrong, but I have not really tried to repair too
    > > many laptops before. I was doing some reading on repairing laptops,
    > > and I think I should start with finding the volatge regulator and
    > > seeing if it is putting out the right voltages?

    > > Love to hear any other thoughts on how to try to fix this.

    > > -Al- Hide quoted text -

    Hmm, you mean the power side of the circuit inside the laptop? Its
    part of the main system board, so no easily replaceable.

    The PSU caps incidentially look ok.

    , Jul 7, 2007
  4. Dave Taylor Guest

    wrote in news:1183784580.574342.248650
    @e9g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

    > Hmm, you mean the power side of the circuit inside the laptop? Its
    > part of the main system board, so no easily replaceable.
    >
    > The PSU caps incidentially look ok.

    I think he means the brick. When you checked the output voltage, was it
    just by itself or loaded? Those kind of power supplies can put out rated
    voltage at no load, and then break when the laptop needs some Amps.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jul 8, 2007
  5. kony Guest

    On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 03:58:23 -0000,
    wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >
    >I have a laptop here that the user reports is dead. No lights at power
    >on or any signs of life.
    >
    >The power adapter is outputting the correct volatge - check it with a
    >multi meter.
    >
    >So I found the service manual and took the laptop apart, and when I
    >put the power plug in the led on the motherboard came to life, so I
    >put it back together and it booted into windows XP - yay.
    >
    >Then to be sure I tried to boot it again and it wouldnt boot at all,
    >no power led's, but now I do hear the HDD spool up and the light on
    >the side of the CD tray comes on.
    >
    >Something is clearly wrong, but I have not really tried to repair too
    >many laptops before. I was doing some reading on repairing laptops,
    >and I think I should start with finding the volatge regulator and
    >seeing if it is putting out the right voltages?
    >
    >Love to hear any other thoughts on how to try to fix this.
    >
    >-Al

    Yes, failing any more obvious evidence of the source of the
    problem, you might start by checking the AC-DC brick's
    voltage output while it's powering the laptop, then take the
    (meter) probes and probe around following the brick power
    circuit through the mainboard power regulation stages.

    Since it did boot once, then failed again after being put
    back together, also check for intermittent electrical
    connections and circuit board cracks & broken solder joints.
    It might help to have a strong light during an examination.

    kony, Jul 8, 2007