    have created several extra folders, at least one of which I do not wish to
    compact.)

    Thanks a lot for any assistance given.

    and3w, Oct 31, 2006

  2. and3w

    Mike Easter Guest

    and3w wrote:
    > Hi all, could someone please tell (in Outlook Express) me:

    This is a good resource for all of that http://www.insideoe.com
    especially Files and Settings

    > a) where compacted messages are stored (is it still in the local
    > applications folder)

    Yes

    > b) is it possible to change said folder

    Yes OE/ Tools/ Options/ Maintenance tab - store folder button

    > c) when compacting, does it leave the headers in the original folder
    > to allow easy access

    All of the folders are in the .dbx compacted format from the beginning
    of their existence. The 'compacting' doesn't create backups.

    > d) is it possible to just compact individual folders

    You are confusing compacting with backing up. Compacting is one thing;
    devising a backup plan is another.

    Your maintenance settings control autocompacting. Compact in the
    background, compact when there is xx% wasted space. You also have File/
    Folders- compact function to compact a folder or all of them

    > (I use hotmail,
    > and have created several extra folders, at least one of which I do
    > not wish to compact.)

    Any extra folders there are are .dbx files and they are in the compacted
    format. OE only saves plaintext files when you save an individual .eml
    or .nws message which is in the mbox plaintext format.

    If you want to have a backup store somewhere, follow the guidelines at
    Tom Koch's link above. If you want 'uncompacted' files you will have to
    get one of the .dbx manipulating tools.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 31, 2006

  3. and3w

    and3w Guest

    Thanks Mike..that info is helpful..I only ask cos OE keeps asking me if I

    and3w, Oct 31, 2006
  4. and3w

    Mike Easter Guest

    and3w wrote:

    > I only ask cos OE keeps asking me
    > if I "want to compact messages" whenever I log out..

    You should read all there is at the Tom Koch site I referred previously.
    Re your qx, he has a section
    http://www.insideoe.com/faqs/why.htm#compact Why does OE insist on
    compacting folders when I close it? -- OE has a long and troubled
    history with compacting folders. In the most current version, OE
    compacts all folders automatically after you open and close the program
    100 times.

    Elsewhere he explains about the background compacting and its hazards.
    His suggestion is to manage compacting manually instead. There's a
    clean up now function in maintenance.

    Your version of OE is from IE6 XP SP2 which has some features I don't
    like and have never used, so it may do something I don't know about.

    You definitely should keep up with maintenance and compacting one way or
    another with configuration or doing it manually.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 31, 2006
  5. and3w

    Mike Easter Guest

    and3w wrote:
    > Thanks Mike..that info is helpful..

    Here's some more helpful info.

    You are putting yourself at a severe disadvantage for being helped in
    newsgroups by top posting.

    When you top post it interferes with your ability to comprehensively
    read what the replier has said. When you top post it interferes with
    your own ability to communicate /accurately/ with the current respondent
    or with any others who might respond. When you top post some people
    'tune you out' by killfilling your persona, so less people read your
    questions or participate in helping you. When you top post it
    interferes with the ability of the respondent to communicate with you to
    give you an answer because your style is destructive of a conversation.

    Top posting is untrimmed and non-contextualized and not properly
    attributed posting. The alternative is *not* bottom posting. The
    correct way to newsgroup post is to attribute, trim, and contextualize
    as described here. http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html
    news.newusers.questions -- Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings -- Q7:
    Why shouldn't I put my comments above the quoted material?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 31, 2006
  6. and3w

    and3w Guest

    > and3w wrote:
    >> Thanks Mike..that info is helpful..

    > Here's some more helpful info.
    >
    > You are putting yourself at a severe disadvantage for being helped in
    > newsgroups by top posting.
    >
    > When you top post it interferes with your ability to comprehensively
    > read what the replier has said. When you top post it interferes with
    > your own ability to communicate /accurately/ with the current respondent
    > or with any others who might respond. When you top post some people
    > 'tune you out' by killfilling your persona, so less people read your
    > questions or participate in helping you. When you top post it
    > interferes with the ability of the respondent to communicate with you to
    > give you an answer because your style is destructive of a conversation.
    >
    > Top posting is untrimmed and non-contextualized and not properly
    > attributed posting. The alternative is *not* bottom posting. The
    > correct way to newsgroup post is to attribute, trim, and contextualize
    > as described here. http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html
    > news.newusers.questions -- Quoting Style in Newsgroup Postings -- Q7:
    > Why shouldn't I put my comments above the quoted material?
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thanks mike, I feel a bit bashful, because I actually did know about the
    'top-posting' thing, but laziness prevented me from doing it, for which I
    apologise.
    I have recently changed from using IE to using Firefox...is there a
    alternative to OE as Firefox is to IE? I mean..easy to use, both for mail
    and news, and more secure (not difficult for OE, why I use Mail washer!)..I
    would appreciate suggestions, preferably which will integrate with firefox
    in the same way that OE integrates with both IE and Firefox.
    Thanks in advance.

    and3w, Nov 1, 2006
  7. and3w wrote:

    > I have recently changed from using IE to using Firefox...is there a
    > alternative to OE as Firefox is to IE? I mean..easy to use, both for
    > mail and news, and more secure (not difficult for OE, why I use Mail
    > washer!)..I would appreciate suggestions, preferably which will
    > integrate with firefox in the same way that OE integrates with both
    > IE and Firefox.

    That would be Firefox's companion email/news program: Thunderbird
    It has its own built-in Junk mail filtering.

    Links here:
    http://k75s.home.att.net/tips.html#email

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Nov 1, 2006
  8. and3w

    Mike Easter Guest

    and3w wrote:
    > "Mike Easter"

    >> Top posting is untrimmed and non-contextualized and not properly
    >> attributed posting. The alternative is *not* bottom posting.

    > Thanks mike, I feel a bit bashful, because I actually did know about
    > the 'top-posting' thing, but laziness prevented me from doing it, for
    > which I apologise.

    Thanks for the big improvement -- now I would also encourage you to do
    more trimming in the future. Your current newsagent doesn't autotrim
    sigs, so you have to do that yourself. Also the/your trimming can
    'debulk' a lot of the other words I used so that you have just enough
    context to put forth your response, as I've now trimmed my own earlier
    wordiness out here, but kept visible two lines with my 'point'.
    Including the remark about bottom posting, which it looks like you did.
    It is much much better to trim, even to the point of 'excessively', than
    to bottom post.

    > I have recently changed from using IE to using Firefox...is there a
    > alternative to OE as Firefox is to IE? I mean..easy to use, both for
    > mail and news, and more secure (not difficult for OE, why I use Mail
    > washer!)..

    T'Bird. When I'm Linux my browser is FireFox and my mail and newsagent
    is ThunderBird.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 1, 2006
  9. and3w

    and3w Guest

    > and3w wrote:
    >> "Mike Easter"

    >>> Top posting is untrimmed and non-contextualized and not properly
    >>> attributed posting. The alternative is *not* bottom posting.

    >> Thanks mike, I feel a bit bashful, because I actually did know about
    >> the 'top-posting' thing, but laziness prevented me from doing it, for
    >> which I apologise.

    > Thanks for the big improvement -- now I would also encourage you to do
    > more trimming in the future. >

    <SNIP>

    -
    > Mike Easter

    Thanks for the News etiquette advice Mike, much appreciated..I have seen the
    <snip> sign before, and am guessing that is what it indicates, the removal
    of superfluous parts of a post...
    So...is this a bit better? :)..
    Thanks to you and Beauregard for the Thunderbird suggestion, I shall look
    into it. It took me a while for people to persuade me to drop IE and go for
    Firefox..now I don't know why I didn't do it years ago! I wont make the
    same mistake regarding Thunderbird! That is the trouble with Micro$oft..it
    makes the lazy amongst us (myself for one) think all is sweetness and light;
    then I wonder why Adaware & Spybot etc turn up shed-loads of problems! I
    have noticed a major drop in problems since using Firefox, here is hoping
    Thunderbird does the same.
    Now, all I need to do is learn about Linux (urubunga (??) has been
    recommended to me) and I may finally control my computer, rather than the
    other way around!
    Thanks again to all who answered..

    and3w, Nov 1, 2006
  10. and3w

    Mike Easter Guest

    and3w wrote:

    > Thanks for the News etiquette advice Mike, much appreciated..I have
    > seen the <snip> sign before, and am guessing that is what it
    > indicates, the removal of superfluous parts of a post...
    > So...is this a bit better? :)..

    Absolutely; and the people who correct/ advise/_me_ sometimes chide me
    for snipping without denoting my snips.

    > then I wonder why Adaware & Spybot
    > etc turn up shed-loads of problems!

    It is possible to use insecure versions of IE without developing malware
    problems if IE is configured and used in a secure fashion. Generally
    the problem is that people are not happy with the lack of website
    functionality when they are surfing securely, so then it is necessary to
    loosen up the security. The same sites which 'harbor' functions which
    require scripts to work are notorious for also harboring advertisers who
    are prone to provide you with malware.

    > Now, all I need to do is learn about Linux (urubunga (??) has been
    > recommended to me) and I may finally control my computer, rather than
    > the other way around!

    'Urubunga' is Ubuntu, which just came out with the newest v. 6.10. Out
    of the box Ubuntu is missing some multimedia functionality which is felt
    to be very important to many. That functionality is missing because of
    the philosophy of Ub and others about open source.

    How can I play MP3/Divx/DVDs/Quicktime/Realmedia files or view
    Flash/Java web pages?

    "Ubuntu's commitment to only include completely free software by default
    means that proprietary media formats are not configured 'out of the
    box'. "

    The problem is that many who are accustomed to window's installation
    methods of clicking on an install program find that linux
    'installations' of additional applications is very often a much more
    complicated process than they were expecting.

    There are some alternate solutions such as Automatix and Easy Ubuntu and
    other preconfigured script operations. And the documentation for Ub is
    excellent, as is the number of people participating in helping newbies.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 1, 2006
  11. and3w

    and3w Guest

    > and3w wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks for the News etiquette advice Mike, much appreciated..I have
    >> seen the <snip> sign before, and am guessing that is what it
    >> indicates, the removal of superfluous parts of a post...
    >> So...is this a bit better? :)..

    <SNIP>
    > "Ubuntu's commitment to only include completely free software by default
    > means that proprietary media formats are not configured 'out of the
    > box'. "
    >
    > The problem is that many who are accustomed to window's installation
    > methods of clicking on an install program find that linux
    > 'installations' of additional applications is very often a much more
    > complicated process than they were expecting.
    >
    > There are some alternate solutions such as Automatix and Easy Ubuntu and
    > other preconfigured script operations. And the documentation for Ub is
    > excellent, as is the number of people participating in helping newbies.
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Yeah Mike, such issues as you have highlighted above are what have kept me
    away from Linux before, an may do so for a while yet :).
    I'm thinking of doing a dual boot (XP Pro & some Linux OS) the next time I
    clear a couple of partitions and do my annual clean install of XP Pro. At
    least that way I can flail away and make mistakes without completely
    bug**ing everything up!
    One final Q about OE/Thunderbird, if I may?
    Can I 'export' my existing e-mails from OE to Thunderbird as is, or will I
    need to convert the dbx files?
    Thanks for giving me all this time & advice..

    and3w, Nov 1, 2006
  12. and3w

    Mike Easter Guest

    and3w wrote:

    > Can I 'export' my existing e-mails from OE to Thunderbird as is, or
    > will I need to convert the dbx files?

    The Tbird help files say that the wizard offers to let you import OE
    mail or addressbook contacts during install and also with its 'import'
    function, but in order for that function to work in Ub, you would need
    to be able to navigate from your Ub partition to your Win partition.
    That condition is actually tricky to configure.

    If you mean importing with a win tbird from a win OE, that should be
    easier according to the help files, but I've never done it.

    > Thanks for giving me all this time & advice..

    Don't forget to trim sigs when you reply. Everything from that dash
    dash space above my name to the 'bottom' is the sig. Ideally the sig
    would be autotrimmed. If you were using Tbird the sig would be
    autotrimmed when you reply.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Nov 1, 2006
  13. and3w

    and3w Guest

    > and3w wrote:
    >
    >> Can I 'export' my existing e-mails from OE to Thunderbird as is, or
    >> will I need to convert the dbx files?

    > <SNIP.>
    > The Tbird help files say that the wizard offers to let If you were using
    > Tbird the sig would be
    > autotrimmed when you reply.

    Thanks Mike..OK, I seem to have it up and running (not loaded Ub yet, so
    just Win) but I have been to several FAQ's for Thunderbird, but none of them
    will tell me how to move my old hotmail folders into T/bird. I have got it
    happily d/l new messages, both from hotmail & gmail accounts, it's just the
    old stuff I cannot move..if worst comes to worst I will just open OE when I
    want to look at a saved message, but I think I am going to have to do some
    more searching for a way to import those folders.
    BTW, address book moved fine, I just cannot get it to display all the time
    like in OE, but it comes up perfectly :)

    and3w, Nov 1, 2006