    It never used to do this but I don't know what could have changed.
    Anyone have any thoughts? Using Mozilla 1.7.3.

    Dennis
    Dennis, Apr 27, 2005

  2. Dennis

    Moz Champion Guest

    Dennis wrote:
    > When I try to compact my mail folder I get the following error: The
    > folder 'Inbox' cannot be compacted because another operation is in
    > progress. Please try again later.
    >
    > This seems to only happen after I have deleted mail and emptied the
    > trash folder. If I close Mozilla and restart, it will compact properly
    > until the next time the trash is deleted.
    >
    > I have tried removing the inbox.msf file but it doesn't seem to help.
    > It never used to do this but I don't know what could have changed.
    > Anyone have any thoughts? Using Mozilla 1.7.3.
    >
    > Dennis

    When you delete mail and empty the trash folder, a compact operation is
    already scheduled to be performed on the inbox. There is no need to
    compact the folders manually (or via the command) at that point.
    Moz Champion, Apr 27, 2005

  3. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > Dennis wrote:
    >> When I try to compact my mail folder I get the following error:
    >> The folder 'Inbox' cannot be compacted because another operation
    >> is in progress. Please try again later.
    >>
    >> This seems to only happen after I have deleted mail and emptied
    >> the trash folder. If I close Mozilla and restart, it will
    >> compact properly until the next time the trash is deleted.
    >>
    >> I have tried removing the inbox.msf file but it doesn't seem to
    >> help. It never used to do this but I don't know what could have
    >> changed. Anyone have any thoughts? Using Mozilla 1.7.3.
    >>
    >> Dennis

    > When you delete mail and empty the trash folder, a compact
    > operation is already scheduled to be performed on the inbox. There
    > is no need to compact the folders manually (or via the command) at
    > that point.

    I didn't know that. Strange that I never noticed the error before
    though ;-) When 'trash' is deleted, are all the other folders (sent,
    drafts,templates) also compacted at the same time? If so, what is
    the function of the 'compact folders' menu selection? Is it just to
    clean up after messages have been manualy moved around? Thank you
    very much for your input.

    Dennis
    Dennis, Apr 27, 2005
  4. Dennis

    Moz Champion Guest

    Dennis wrote:
    > Moz Champion wrote:
    >

    >>Dennis wrote:
    >>
    >>>When I try to compact my mail folder I get the following error:
    >>>The folder 'Inbox' cannot be compacted because another operation
    >>>is in progress. Please try again later.
    >>>
    >>>This seems to only happen after I have deleted mail and emptied
    >>>the trash folder. If I close Mozilla and restart, it will
    >>>compact properly until the next time the trash is deleted.
    >>>
    >>>I have tried removing the inbox.msf file but it doesn't seem to
    >>>help. It never used to do this but I don't know what could have
    >>>changed. Anyone have any thoughts? Using Mozilla 1.7.3.
    >>>
    >>>Dennis

    >>When you delete mail and empty the trash folder, a compact
    >>operation is already scheduled to be performed on the inbox. There
    >>is no need to compact the folders manually (or via the command) at
    >>that point.

    > I didn't know that. Strange that I never noticed the error before
    > though ;-) When 'trash' is deleted, are all the other folders (sent,
    > drafts,templates) also compacted at the same time? If so, what is
    > the function of the 'compact folders' menu selection? Is it just to
    > clean up after messages have been manualy moved around? Thank you
    > very much for your input.
    >
    > Dennis

    It all depends on your settings in
    Offline Settings Disk Space - the limit you have set before
    compaction takes place

    for example: If you have 100 K set in Disk Space, and you delete 120K of
    messages from the inbox, then its slated for compaction

    I didnt explain it properly previously, sorry.

    The compact folders allows you to compact the folders regardless if your
    limit in Disk Space

    Tools-->Options-->Advanced-->Offline & Connection Settings <Offline
    Settings> Disk Space

    are reached or not.
    Moz Champion, Apr 28, 2005
  5. Dennis

    Dennis Guest

    Moz Champion wrote:

    > Dennis wrote:
    >> Moz Champion wrote:

    >>>When you delete mail and empty the trash folder, a compact
    >>>operation is already scheduled to be performed on the inbox.
    >>>There is no need to compact the folders manually (or via the
    >>>command) at that point.

    >> I didn't know that. Strange that I never noticed the error
    >> before though ;-) When 'trash' is deleted, are all the other
    >> folders (sent, drafts,templates) also compacted at the same time?
    >> If so, what is the function of the 'compact folders' menu
    >> selection? Is it just to clean up after messages have been
    >> manualy moved around? Thank you very much for your input.
    >>
    >> Dennis
    >>

    > It all depends on your settings in
    > Offline Settings Disk Space - the limit you have set before
    > compaction takes place
    >
    > for example: If you have 100 K set in Disk Space, and you delete
    > 120K of messages from the inbox, then its slated for compaction
    >
    > I didnt explain it properly previously, sorry.
    >
    > The compact folders allows you to compact the folders regardless
    > if your limit in Disk Space
    >
    > Tools-->Options-->Advanced-->Offline & Connection Settings
    > <Offline Settings> Disk Space
    >
    > are reached or not.

    Thanks for that information. I found the settings you mentioned
    under Edit-->Preferences-->Mail & Newsgroups-->Offline & Disk Space.
    That setting of 100kb wasn't checked before but it is now. From what
    I understand this should now compact the folders as necessary and I
    should have no need for the manual compacting anymore. Thanks again
    for your help.

    Dennis
    Dennis, Apr 28, 2005