Compacting 5,000 Messages, Moving Them To A Google Account, And Burning Them Onto A CD

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Martin, Jan 12, 2007.

  1. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Hello,

    I have slightly under 5,000 e-mails that I must keep as they contain
    information that I need to refer to from time to time.

    Whenever I close my e-mail client (OE6 SP2) on XP Pro SP2, a box appears,
    giving me the choice of compacting my messages in order to save space. I
    always choose "no" as I'm not sure what compacting messages will do to my
    ability to access them or even still have them.

    Question #1: What does compacting messages do insofar as having/reading them
    in the future?

    Question#2: Can I export all 5,000 messages en masse into a Google account.
    If so, how? Further, if exporting en masse in not possible, can I burn all
    messages en masse onto a CD? If "yes", how can that be accomplished? Please
    note that I have Roxio Creator 5 that came with my system in early 2001 for
    burning CDs. I don't have any software to burn a DVD.

    As always, thank you very much for any and all replies. I have always found
    this NG to be invaluable. Much appreciated!

    Regards,

    Martin
    Martin, Jan 12, 2007

  2. Martin

    Mike Easter Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > I have slightly under 5,000 e-mails that I must keep as they contain
    > information that I need to refer to from time to time.

    Back them up and use them in OE as a folder/file.

    > Whenever I close my e-mail client (OE6 SP2) on XP Pro SP2, a box
    > appears, giving me the choice of compacting my messages in order to
    > save space. I always choose "no" as I'm not sure what compacting
    > messages will do to my ability to access them or even still have them.

    The compacting routines for OE are configured in OE/ Tools/
    Options -Maintenance tab - Cleaning up messages section.

    > Question #1: What does compacting messages do insofar as
    > having/reading them in the future?

    Tom Koch's site has a good discussion of the problems with compacting
    and what compacting means
    http://www.insideoe.com/files/maintain.htm#compact Compact Your OE
    Folders - Why does OE insist on compacting folders when I close it?

    Compacting is both necessary and potentially 'dangerous' as an operation
    which can lead to file corruption.

    Any OE 'folder' of messages is actually a proprietary database file -
    proprietary in that the mbox format of db items is compressed in a MS
    proprietary scheme into a .dbx file. The compacting is the actual
    removal of deleted messages from the db. Prior to compacting, the
    deletions are actually still taking up space but 'invisible'.

    > Question#2: Can I export all 5,000 messages en masse into a Google
    > account. If so, how? Further, if exporting en masse in not possible,
    > can I burn all messages en masse onto a CD? If "yes", how can that be
    > accomplished? Please note that I have Roxio Creator 5 that came with
    > my system in early 2001 for burning CDs. I don't have any software to
    > burn a DVD.

    You can export and import messages and you can burn copies of the .dbx
    files as described in the Tom Koch's backup information
    http://www.insideoe.com/backup/ Backup and Restore - Do-It-Yourself
    Backups

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Jan 12, 2007

  3. "Martin" <> wrote in

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have slightly under 5,000 e-mails that I must keep as they contain
    > information that I need to refer to from time to time.
    >
    > Whenever I close my e-mail client (OE6 SP2) on XP Pro SP2, a box
    > appears, giving me the choice of compacting my messages in order to save
    > space. I always choose "no" as I'm not sure what compacting messages
    > will do to my ability to access them or even still have them.
    >
    > Question #1: What does compacting messages do insofar as having/reading
    > them in the future?
    >
    > Question#2: Can I export all 5,000 messages en masse into a Google
    > account. If so, how? Further, if exporting en masse in not possible, can
    > I burn all messages en masse onto a CD? If "yes", how can that be
    > accomplished? Please note that I have Roxio Creator 5 that came with my
    > system in early 2001 for burning CDs. I don't have any software to burn
    > a DVD.
    >
    > As always, thank you very much for any and all replies. I have always
    > found this NG to be invaluable. Much appreciated!
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Martin

    In OE, compacting doesn't really affect the message itself; only how the
    *.dbx files occupy space on the hard drive. I always use only "Remove
    Messages" as opposed to "Delete" or "Reset" which preserves the stored
    messages. However, recently M$ became aware of a very particular series of
    events which when in place were followed by the compacting routine in OE,
    some messages could get corrupted. I never had any of this happen, but they
    created the recent fix, that now when you manually compact in OE's Tools >
    Options > Maintenance > "Clean Up Now..." dialog, a backup of your .dbx files
    are created in the Recycle Bin as *.bak files. To me, it's sort of useless;
    but someone must appreciate it.

    While I'm not nearly dealing with anything like 5,000 *.eml messages, I don't
    use OE, or my mail servers, as caches for my saved or archived e-Mails.

    When I need to save an e-Mail for future reference, I create a folder on one
    of my data drives, and use File > Save As (and then navigate to the "Save
    to" target location) on the message menu bar to save my message like I would
    any other file. This already starts the catagorizing process. EX: M:\2006
    _ACME.Contract.Negotiation\2006.03.17_1023AM_from.ACME_Bonus.Discount.eml --
    and each subsequent response falls into order by date and time and subject.
    I can rename folders and/or e-Mail files as need be, and when I'm not needing
    them so much, I can RAR (or ZIP) them up, and only access the archives when I
    need to. It sure makes the searching easy too, mainly because I can
    substitute a more descriptive subject in the file's name than is usually
    included in the e-Mail's Subject field. It also preserves the complete
    electronic header information as well, so I can bring up the message source
    and provide complete header information to resolve any differences of opinion
    that the passage of time may evoke.

    This also protects me from intrusions and e-Mail server crashes which could
    corrupt my desired e-Mail database; which doesn't happen often, but it has
    happened, and left me to reconstruct a series of events...

    Of course, if I ever got to ~5,000 messages, having the system implemented
    already would save me a bunch of time searching for a very specific event or
    position.

    --

    ATTENTION: Anybody who is having an identity crisis
    had better wise up quick - and get with the program!
    Bucky Breeder, Jan 12, 2007
  4. Martin

    dadiOH Guest

    Martin wrote:

    > Question#2: Can I export all 5,000 messages en masse into a Google
    > account. If so, how? Further, if exporting en masse in not
    > possible, can I burn all messages en masse onto a CD? If "yes", how
    > can that be accomplished? Please note that I have Roxio Creator 5
    > that came with my system in early 2001 for burning CDs. I don't
    > have any software to burn a DVD.

    Re Google...
    There used to be a program that would make Google appear as a drive on
    your PC to facilitate transfers to & fro. I don't recall the name of
    it.

    Re burning...
    I think this is your best bet. If you want to access multiple emails
    in the same manner as you do now in OE you'll have to export the
    special format dbx files in which they are contained to your burning
    program. To read, you would import (from CD) back to OE.

    OTOH, if all you want is to be able to open and read an email, you
    can...

    1. Open your burning program
    2. Tell it you want to make a data disc
    3. Open OE
    4. Select the emails you want. If all, use Ctrl + A to select all
    5. Drag what you selected to the burning programs compilation window.
    6. Burn away

    When you want to read one of the emails on the CD, just insert the CD
    and click on the email...OE will open it.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Jan 12, 2007
  5. Martin

    Martin Guest

    Thank you to all who replied!

    Based on your input, I now know how to manage approx. 5,000 e-mails.

    Regards,

    Martin
    Martin, Jan 13, 2007
  6. Martin

    Guest

    "Martin" <> wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I have slightly under 5,000 e-mails that I must keep as they contain
    >information that I need to refer to from time to time.
    >
    >Whenever I close my e-mail client (OE6 SP2) on XP Pro SP2, a box appears,
    >giving me the choice of compacting my messages in order to save space. I
    >always choose "no" as I'm not sure what compacting messages will do to my
    >ability to access them or even still have them.

    >Question #1: What does compacting messages do insofar as having/reading them
    >in the future?

    When you delete a message it leaves a space in the data file;
    Compacting, means it removes the space and moves the messages together
    (no gap).

    >Question#2: Can I export all 5,000 messages en masse into a Google account.
    >If so, how? Further, if exporting en masse in not possible, can I burn all
    >messages en masse onto a CD? If "yes", how can that be accomplished? Please
    >note that I have Roxio Creator 5 that came with my system in early 2001 for
    >burning CDs. I don't have any software to burn a DVD.

    Just screwing around, I selected 100+ emails (CTL+A) right click and
    found you have a forward option - forward them to your Gmail account.

    I've never really used OE, you could end up sending one email with
    want to send the emails as attachments.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/tineke/sand_sculpture
    , Jan 13, 2007
  7. Martin

    Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in news:45a7e566$0$97229$892e7fe2
    @authen.yellow.readfreenews.net:

    > You can export and import messages and you can burn copies of the .dbx
    > files as described in the Tom Koch's backup information
    > http://www.insideoe.com/backup/ Backup and Restore - Do-It-Yourself
    > Backups

    won't TweakUI allow him to change the location of the OE db folders and
    files to a more user friendly directory of his own creation?

    I've always found that placing it into Documents and Settings meant
    clicking through a half dozen sub-directories before you found it.
    If you create a folder for it where you want, you'll back if up more often,
    because every time you open Windows Explorer, it's size will smack you in
    the face.
    , Jan 13, 2007
  8. Martin

    Guest

    "dadiOH" <> wrote in news:%2Uph.344$9B6.176@trnddc07:

    > OTOH, if all you want is to be able to open and read an email, you
    > can...
    >
    > 1. Open your burning program
    > 2. Tell it you want to make a data disc
    > 3. Open OE
    > 4. Select the emails you want. If all, use Ctrl + A to select all
    > 5. Drag what you selected to the burning programs compilation window.
    > 6. Burn away
    >
    > When you want to read one of the emails on the CD, just insert the CD
    > and click on the email...OE will open it.

    Would that hold true for backing up Thunderbird, too?
    , Jan 13, 2007
  9. Martin

    Guest

    wrote in news:p8vgq25cmb6lmou4t12scrfs6tr3pbglan@
    4ax.com:

    > Just screwing around, I selected 100+ emails (CTL+A) right click and
    > found you have a forward option - forward them to your Gmail account.
    >
    > I've never really used OE, you could end up sending one email with
    > want to send the emails as attachments.

    That could be quite a task, especially if there are large attachments (av
    or doc/spreadsheet files attached to some of those e-mails. If you're
    talking about a 100 mg or more database, that's going to be some kind of
    forwarded mail. Be prepared to cook dinner while your e-mail server is
    sending it, assuming it doesn't crash altogether.

    The best option is to burn several CD's/DVD's of your folders on a regular
    basis and backup the registry along with key OS directories, too (even
    though a good imaging program like Acronis is better for a system backup).

    I would also suggest either destroying old backups or password protecting
    the backups with a 15 digit password. From what I understand, that's the
    starting size of a password being uncrackable.
    , Jan 13, 2007
  10. Martin

    dadiOH Guest

    wrote:
    > "dadiOH" <> wrote in
    >
    >> OTOH, if all you want is to be able to open and read an email, you
    >> can...
    >>
    >> 1. Open your burning program
    >> 2. Tell it you want to make a data disc
    >> 3. Open OE
    >> 4. Select the emails you want. If all, use Ctrl + A to select all
    >> 5. Drag what you selected to the burning programs compilation
    >> window.
    >> 6. Burn away
    >>
    >> When you want to read one of the emails on the CD, just insert the
    >> CD and click on the email...OE will open it.
    >>

    > Would that hold true for backing up Thunderbird, too?

    Hell, I don't know. Probably...a mail reader is a mail reader. Try
    it and see - you needn't burn a CD to try, just drag a bunch to a
    folder on the HD.

    --

    dadiOH

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...