    capacity, etc.? If so, why wouldn't I just buy the cheapest card I
    could find at my storage level?

    Thank you for taking time to answer this. I value your expertise.
    jm, Nov 19, 2004

  2. jm

    Harvey Guest

    "jm" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I have a Canon A75.
    >
    > I am going to buy a new CF Card Type I card for it. I am looking at
    > the various 512k models. Some of them says 12x or 40x, or something
    > like that. Does my camera have to be an SLR camera to take advantage
    > of the "x" factor? Will my camera use any card the same with speed,
    > capacity, etc.? If so, why wouldn't I just buy the cheapest card I
    > could find at my storage level?
    >
    > Thank you for taking time to answer this. I value your expertise.

    It might be a bit awkward if it WAS an SLR - trying to fit a compact flash
    card might be tricky.

    As to your question; yes your camera will take advantage of any speed
    increase of the CF card, but how much difference is very difficult to tell,
    but as an example - by the time you get up to 6 or 8 MPix a 40x CF card is
    almost a requirement if you don't want to have to put up with a 3-10 seconds
    pause when your reviewing pictures.
    Harvey, Nov 19, 2004

  3. jm

    Jer Guest

    jm wrote:

    > I have a Canon A75.
    >
    > I am going to buy a new CF Card Type I card for it. I am looking at
    > the various 512k models. Some of them says 12x or 40x, or something
    > like that. Does my camera have to be an SLR camera to take advantage
    > of the "x" factor? Will my camera use any card the same with speed,
    > capacity, etc.? If so, why wouldn't I just buy the cheapest card I
    > could find at my storage level?
    >
    > Thank you for taking time to answer this. I value your expertise.

    I consider it unlikely that a P&S camera (A75) could take significant
    advantage of the enhanced speeds with the newer cards - whether it's
    recording the image onto the card or retrieving the images via the
    camera later - the A75 is a USB 1.1 device. However, if you most often
    use a card reader to pull images off the card, and your card reader and
    whatever it's plugged into (your PC?) offer high speeds (ie. USB 2.0),
    then the higher speed *might* be realised.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'
    Jer, Nov 19, 2004
  4. jm

    zeitgeist Guest

    AFAIK only top professional cameras take advantage of the high speeds.
    consumer cameras can't cause the internal wiring is the slow traffic
    bottleneck. so save money and buy the cheapest cards.

    zeitgeist, Nov 19, 2004
  5. jm

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 03:17:29 GMT, "Harvey" <>
    wrote:

    >"jm" <> wrote in message
    >>I have a Canon A75.
    >>
    >> I am going to buy a new CF Card Type I card for it. I am looking at
    >> the various 512k models. Some of them says 12x or 40x, or something
    >> like that. Does my camera have to be an SLR camera to take advantage
    >> of the "x" factor? Will my camera use any card the same with speed,
    >> capacity, etc.? If so, why wouldn't I just buy the cheapest card I
    >> could find at my storage level?
    >>
    >> Thank you for taking time to answer this. I value your expertise.

    >It might be a bit awkward if it WAS an SLR - trying to fit a compact flash
    >card might be tricky.

    Why?
    My DSLR has a CF slot.

    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"
    Big Bill, Nov 19, 2004
  6. jm

    Harvey Guest

    "Big Bill" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 03:17:29 GMT, "Harvey" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"jm" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have a Canon A75.
    >>>
    >>> I am going to buy a new CF Card Type I card for it. I am looking at
    >>> the various 512k models. Some of them says 12x or 40x, or something
    >>> like that. Does my camera have to be an SLR camera to take advantage
    >>> of the "x" factor? Will my camera use any card the same with speed,
    >>> capacity, etc.? If so, why wouldn't I just buy the cheapest card I
    >>> could find at my storage level?
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for taking time to answer this. I value your expertise.

    >>It might be a bit awkward if it WAS an SLR - trying to fit a compact flash
    >>card might be tricky.

    > Why?
    > My DSLR has a CF slot.

    Know of any SLR's (as opposed to DSLR) with a CF card slot?
    Harvey, Nov 19, 2004
  7. jm

    Big Bill Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:38:29 GMT, "Harvey" <>
    wrote:

    >"Big Bill" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 03:17:29 GMT, "Harvey" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"jm" <> wrote in message

    >>>It might be a bit awkward if it WAS an SLR - trying to fit a compact flash
    >>>card might be tricky.

    >> Why?
    >> My DSLR has a CF slot.
    >>

    >Know of any SLR's (as opposed to DSLR) with a CF card slot?

    Ah, well...
    Not if all digital SLRs need to be specifically designated as "DSLR",
    no.
    My Digital Rebel is an SLR, though.
    --
    Bill Funk