    Can somebody tell me the difference between CompactFlash Type 1 and
    CompactFlash Type 2? Thanks.

    Ken

    kjk, Jan 6, 2004

  2. kjk

    Peter Guest

    The thickness....type 2 is thicker. IBM Microdrives are type 2.
    If your camera takes type2 then it will also take type 1 but not the other
    way around.

    Peter, Jan 6, 2004

  3. kjk

    kjk Guest

    Is there some reason why I would prefer one type over the other?

    kjk, Jan 6, 2004
  4. kjk

    Jim Townsend Guest

    kjk wrote:

    > Is there some reason why I would prefer one type over the other?

    In the beginning, the thicker type II cards were designed to hold
    more memory. Cards of 256 Mb and higher usually came in type II
    packages.

    Technology has advanced and just about all CF cards that are under
    1 Gigabyte are type I. It's the most common size and you should
    get by just fine with a camera that only takes type I CF.

    However..

    Microdrives are a bit cheaper per megabyte than solid state flash cards.
    (At one time they were a lot cheaper). Having a type II CF slot will
    allow you to use one.

    Also, the current large capacity CF cards (2 Gigabyte and higher) come in
    a type II package. Note.. these are formatted as FAT32 and you need
    a camera that can recognize that type of file system. This is new, most
    Cameras on the market today can't.

    Jim Townsend, Jan 6, 2004
  5. kjk

    Peter Guest

    Well, you don't have a choice because it is what the camera can take.
    Unless you specifically look for a camera that will or won't hold cetain
    type, you should be fine with either one.

    Peter, Jan 6, 2004
  6. kjk

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:31:11 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Peter"
    <> wrote:

    >Well, you don't have a choice because it is what the camera can take.
    >Unless you specifically look for a camera that will or won't hold cetain
    >type, you should be fine with either one.

    Not completely true. If the camera only supports CF1, that's it.
    However if it supports CF2, that actually means CF1 and CF2.
    CF1 is a subset of CF2, as I understand it.

    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Jan 6, 2004
  7. kjk

    kjk Guest

    Peter,

    I'm considering buying a Canon G5, which takes both, and I'm planning
    to buy a 256M CF card for it. I don't know if 256M comes in both Type
    1 and Type 2, but if it does, I was wondering what the difference
    would be, so I could decide which one to get. Thanks.

    Ken

    kjk, Jan 6, 2004
  8. "kjk" <> wrote in message
    > Peter,
    >
    > I'm considering buying a Canon G5, which takes both, and I'm planning
    > to buy a 256M CF card for it. I don't know if 256M comes in both Type
    > 1 and Type 2, but if it does, I was wondering what the difference
    > would be, so I could decide which one to get. Thanks.
    >
    > Ken

    It sounds as if the type 2 256MB card will be an older model, and
    therefore likely to be slower and have a greater power consumption. Go
    for the type 1.

    David

    David J Taylor, Jan 6, 2004
  9. kjk

    Peter Guest

    Unless you are looking for something over 1 GB, I would always stick to type
    1 because they are more versatile. 256MB, for sure type 1.

    Peter, Jan 6, 2004
  10. kjk

    Holly Wood Guest

    Difference = 1Type