    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".

    Mark Herring, Feb 15, 2004

  2. > Everything checked good, and there is no sign of any malfunction in
    > the camera that could have caused this.
    >
    > Any similar experiences out there?

    Low battery in camera?

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Mark Herring

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 15:45:36 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit> wrote:

    >> Everything checked good, and there is no sign of any malfunction in
    >> the camera that could have caused this.
    >>
    >> Any similar experiences out there?

    >Low battery in camera?

    Or writing image without sufficient space, ie totally filling the card? My
    990 didn't like that the one time I did it. Hung up, but didn't trash any
    other images.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://members.cox.net/egruf
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://members.cox.net/egruf-digicam

    Ed Ruf, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Ed Ruf <EG*nospam*> writes:

    > Or writing image without sufficient space, ie totally filling the card? My
    > 990 didn't like that the one time I did it. Hung up, but didn't trash any
    > other images.

    That's what happened to me the only time I've had a CF card crash. I used
    image recovery software to get to the rest of the images, but that one (a
    video clip, naturally) was lost.

    Phil Stripling, Feb 15, 2004
  5. On 15 Feb 2004 12:12:26 -0800, Phil Stripling
    <> wrote:

    >Ed Ruf <EG*nospam*> writes:
    >
    >> Or writing image without sufficient space, ie totally filling the card? My
    >> 990 didn't like that the one time I did it. Hung up, but didn't trash any
    >> other images.

    >That's what happened to me the only time I've had a CF card crash. I used
    >image recovery software to get to the rest of the images, but that one (a
    >video clip, naturally) was lost.

    I had a full 256 Mb card, a Mr. Flash (newegg.com used to sell them) ,
    go through the washing machine! I had left it in a pocket. Found it
    after the spin dry. Set it on a warm air vent for a week. When dry, it
    worked fine. Got all the images. Still works, it's one of my backup
    cards. This kind of sturdiness is what keeps me away from microdrives.

    Sharon Everett

    Sharon Everett, Feb 15, 2004
  6. Mark Herring

    David Guest

    Mark Herring wrote:

    > Any similar experiences out there?

    Yes. With a CP995, I used a SCSI reader
    and traded some images back and forth using
    the card as a medium. Something got hosed
    along the line, and I took a bunch of shots that
    seemed to write OK, but then were inaccessible.

    Another time, I had a card that was scrambled
    because I used it in the D-100, then the 995,
    and I didn't notice I'd mixed the two.

    Those episodes taught me to format the
    card in the camera every time I start fresh.
    I use a 995 and a D-100, and since I started
    formatting in the camera, I've had no issues
    at all.

    David, Feb 16, 2004