Compact Pocket Digital Camera Question Fuji V10, F40, F50 by Jeffrey Dach

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Jeffrey Dach, Oct 26, 2007.

  1. Jeffrey Dach

    Jeffrey Dach Guest

    In terms of digital pocket cameras, so far I have owned and used the
    Fuji V10, an F40 for my son which he used and liked, but then lost,
    and recently based on the specs, I bought a Fuji F50 for my daughter
    who is in art school. All from B and H by the way. The F50 became
    available only in September, and we bought one the first day it came
    out.

    My daughter emailed me a few of the photos from her new Fuji Finepix
    F50 and they are very high resolution, and sharply focused. One thing
    that appealed to me about the camera was the low light capability of
    the camera with the hi speed CCD chip. I am actually considering
    replacing my V10 with another F50.

    No, I don't work or shill for any camera companies. My question is,
    should I be looking at the Canon, Sony, Casio, Nikon, Minolta, Leica,
    Panasonic or any other lines for a pocket digital camera which might
    rival or exceed the Fuji F50 in terms of compactness and image
    features? I also have a Nikon D70 digital SLR with two lenses. But I
    consider the large Nikon body too fragile and bulky for travel or
    candid spontaneous photos.

    In the years past before digital technology, I have used film cameras
    such as Pentax, Minolta and Nikon. I really liked the Minolta
    autofocus film camera but I accidentally dropped it and that was the
    end of it. Same thing happened to my Nikon 28-105 zoom lense which I
    really liked...I dropped it last year on a plane and that was the end of
    that. I replaced it with the standard Nikon digital lense. Any other
    suggestions?

    I must say I have been impressed with the progress in the compact
    digital camera technology over the past 5 years. The cameras are
    getting better and cheaper, sort of what we have seen with computer
    technology in general. The image quality and ability to take good
    pictures in difficult conditions has dramatically improved. What do
    you see happening over the next few years? Can we expect even more
    improvements, and what types of improvements should we be expecting?
    I can be contacted at the web site listed on my profile page. jeffrey
    dach www.drdach.com

    Jeffrey Dach, Oct 26, 2007

  2. Jeffrey Dach wrote:
    > In terms of digital pocket cameras, so far I have owned and used the
    > Fuji V10, an F40 for my son which he used and liked, but then lost,
    > and recently based on the specs, I bought a Fuji F50 for my daughter
    > who is in art school. All from B and H by the way. The F50 became
    > available only in September, and we bought one the first day it came
    > out.
    >
    > My daughter emailed me a few of the photos from her new Fuji Finepix
    > F50 and they are very high resolution, and sharply focused. One thing
    > that appealed to me about the camera was the low light capability of
    > the camera with the hi speed CCD chip. I am actually considering
    > replacing my V10 with another F50.
    >
    > No, I don't work or shill for any camera companies. My question is,
    > should I be looking at the Canon, Sony, Casio, Nikon, Minolta, Leica,
    > Panasonic or any other lines for a pocket digital camera which might
    > rival or exceed the Fuji F50 in terms of compactness and image
    > features? I also have a Nikon D70 digital SLR with two lenses. But I
    > consider the large Nikon body too fragile and bulky for travel or
    > candid spontaneous photos.

    The problem with trying to answer a question of this kind is that virtually
    eneryone will tell you that the camera they are using is "the best". Even
    reading the reviews can be a waste of time since many of these are biased
    towards one make and type or another.

    Joining a camera club or photographic society and asking around can be
    illuminating, since every single member will tell you that he/she is pleased
    with their particular camera, but at least this way might tell you which
    ones to avoid!

    I think it all boils down to looking at a shortlist of the ones that seem to
    have all the functions you prefer to have, then trying to see how they
    handle at the local camera shop. You can then either purchase from them, or
    buy through mail order on the Internet or from magazines.

    Whatever you buy will be out of date in about 6 months, so why worry?

    Dennis.

    Dennis Pogson, Oct 27, 2007