compact-ish with decent exposure control?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by ric, Aug 5, 2006.

  1. ric

    ric Guest

    Hi All,
    Back in the day I used to be a 35mm nut, d&p'ing my own photos, and
    using an EOS 320. Then I had kids, less time, and chopped all my kit
    in for an early point and shoot Nikon Coolpix. Now I'm after something
    pocketable, but with some decent (semi) manual control.
    The ideal'd be something shirt-pocketable, with a widish 3x optical
    zoom and an APERTURE/PROGRAM SHIFT RING around the lens. Not too
    interested in "party" type modes et al and I don't really need a DSLR.
    It's *got to be pocketable* though...!
    I'd like it to have an idiot mode too, but mainly I want to be able to
    easily bias a program from wide aperture/short exposure to small
    aperture/long exposure.
    Not seen many cameras that do this - oh, and I'd like it for under
    £350, please...

    Anyone tried a Ricoh GX8? They seem the closest...Any other
    suggestions?
    Big LCD, rechargeable battery and charging off USB all pluses...

    Cheers
    Ric
    ric, Aug 5, 2006