    Thanks

    --
    Jim,

    Jim L, Nov 16, 2004

  2. Jim L wrote:
    > What is the difference between compact flash type I and type II

    Type II is thicker.

    > and how would I know which type my camera takes?

    Read the section of the manual entitled "Specifications", section
    "Storage" (or equivalent).

    David J Taylor, Nov 16, 2004

  3. Jim L

    chidalgo Guest

    Jim L escribio:

    > What is the difference between compact flash type I and type II and how
    > would I know which type my camera takes? I saw a CF of 512mb and 40x but I
    > don't know if my camera will take it. I have a Nikon Coolpix 4300.
    > Thanks

    The Coolpix 4300 needs CompactFlash Type I only.

    --
    chidalgo

    chidalgo, Nov 16, 2004
  4. Jim L

    Don dunlap Guest

    "Jim L" <> wrote in message
    > What is the difference between compact flash type I and type II and how
    > would I know which type my camera takes? I saw a CF of 512mb and 40x but I
    > don't know if my camera will take it. I have a Nikon Coolpix 4300.
    > Thanks
    >
    > --
    > Jim,

    All digitals that use Compact Flash will almost certainly take type I and
    many newer ones will take Type II. Type I is thinner as someone previously
    said and Type II is a microdrive (actually a tiny hard drive). Type I is
    more reliable and I would recommend it over the Type II.

    Don Dunlap

    Don dunlap, Nov 16, 2004
  5. Jim L

    Jim L Guest

    Thank you all for your help....

    Jim

    Jim L, Nov 16, 2004
  6. Jim L

    Big Bill Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:13:35 GMT, "Jim L" <> wrote:

    >What is the difference between compact flash type I and type II and how
    >would I know which type my camera takes? I saw a CF of 512mb and 40x but I
    >don't know if my camera will take it. I have a Nikon Coolpix 4300.
    >Thanks

    IIRC, the only Type II CF cards are the Microdrives; correct me if I'm
    wrong.
    To find out what type your camera takes, look in the manual in the
    Specs section, or check the reviews online; they should say.
    --
    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Nov 17, 2004
  7. Jim L

    Bill Frank Guest

    >>What is the difference between compact flash type I and type II and how
    >>would I know which type my camera takes? I saw a CF of 512mb and 40x but I
    >>don't know if my camera will take it. I have a Nikon Coolpix 4300.
    >>Thanks

    > IIRC, the only Type II CF cards are the Microdrives; correct me if I'm
    > wrong.
    > To find out what type your camera takes, look in the manual in the
    > Specs section, or check the reviews online; they should say.

    There are some very large capacity CompactFlash cards (not Microdrives that
    are Type II. Currently some 4GB and all 6GB CF cards are Type II. Pretty
    much any new cards under 4GB are Type I. As flash chips get denser more
    capacity can be fitted into a Type I card. A Type I, 8GB card has been
    announced for shipment this year. A 12GB Type II card has also been
    announced.

    Bill Frank
    www.compactflash.org

    Bill Frank, Nov 17, 2004
  8. Jim L

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 20:13:35 GMT, in rec.photo.digital "Jim L"
    <> wrote:

    >What is the difference between compact flash type I and type II and how
    >would I know which type my camera takes? I saw a CF of 512mb and 40x but I
    >don't know if my camera will take it. I have a Nikon Coolpix 4300.

    Your 4300 should only use a Type I CF card. It will not make use of
    the speed of a 40X card. So if you find something cheaper, go for it.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    See images taken with my CP-990 and 5700 at
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Nov 17, 2004