  1. Compact Flash versus Memory Stick - when choosing a camera, what are
    the advantages and disadvantages of these two media?

    Laurence
    Laurence Koster, Oct 28, 2003

  2. Laurence Koster

    Andrew Guest

    Laurence Koster <> wrote:
    > Compact Flash versus Memory Stick - when choosing a camera, what are
    > the advantages and disadvantages of these two media?

    Memory sticks make fleshtones look yellow.

    Anndrew
    Andrew, Oct 28, 2003

  3. "Laurence Koster" <> wrote in message
    > Compact Flash versus Memory Stick - when choosing a camera, what are
    > the advantages and disadvantages of these two media?

    CF is cheaper, and available in higher capacity.

    Memory stick is faster than regular CF, but there are
    high speed CF cards available.

    Even Sony has now added CF to their upcoming SLR-like camera, the F-828.

    In short, don't by a camera that can use only memory stick.
    Steven M. Scharf, Oct 28, 2003
  4. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    >CF is cheaper, and available in higher capacity.
    >
    >Memory stick is faster than regular CF, but there are
    >high speed CF cards available.
    >
    >Even Sony has now added CF to their upcoming SLR-like camera, the F-828.
    >
    >In short, don't by a camera that can use only memory stick.

    Very bad advice. Who cares what storage media a camera uses. They all do the
    same thing , store images. To reject a better camera because of the type of
    storage media it uses is silly.

    FOR7b, Oct 28, 2003
  5. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    >> Compact Flash versus Memory Stick - when choosing a camera, what are
    >> the advantages and disadvantages of these two media?

    >Memory sticks make fleshtones look yellow.
    >
    >Anndrew

    Huh??? You're joking, right? :)

    FOR7b, Oct 28, 2003
  6. Laurence Koster

    JohnO Guest

    "when choosing a camera" don't get into the either/or about which memory it
    takes. You are better off getting a camera that has the features you want,
    need and like, regerdless of the memory.

    I guess if you have a large investment of one or the other that would sway
    you to that type of camera but if you have none or even a modest investment
    in either, go with the camera, not the media it uses.

    Having said that, I have both Memory Stick and Compact Flash cameras and the
    advantages of one over the other are not enough to list this one is better
    than that one and should not be a determining factor.

    Go for the camera you want!

    JohnO, Oct 28, 2003
  7. Laurence Koster

    JohnO Guest

    "Andrew" <> wrote in message
    > Laurence Koster <> wrote:
    > > Compact Flash versus Memory Stick - when choosing a camera, what are
    > > the advantages and disadvantages of these two media?

    > Memory sticks make fleshtones look yellow.
    >
    > Anndrew

    Did you forgot to read the directions? I'm guessing you must have put it
    in bassackwards!
    JohnO, Oct 28, 2003
  8. Laurence Koster

    ERich10983 Guest

    Having used both, and including SmartMedia as well, I think that the storage
    medium is about last on the things you should consider when buying a new
    camera.

    Earle Rich
    Mont Vernon, NH
    ERich10983, Oct 28, 2003
  9. Laurence Koster

    Sláine Guest

    Tell that to everyone who bought a Betamax VCR!

    Sláine

    Sláine, Oct 28, 2003
  10. Laurence Koster

    fusQuanto Guest

    hahahah!

    fusQuanto, Oct 28, 2003
  11. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    >"FOR7b" <> wrote in message
    >> >CF is cheaper, and available in higher capacity.
    >> >
    >> >Memory stick is faster than regular CF, but there are
    >> >high speed CF cards available.
    >> >
    >> >Even Sony has now added CF to their upcoming SLR-like camera, the F-828.
    >> >
    >> >In short, don't by a camera that can use only memory stick.
    >> >

    >> Very bad advice. Who cares what storage media a camera uses. They all do

    >the
    >> same thing , store images. To reject a better camera because of the type

    >of
    >> storage media it uses is silly.
    >>

    >Tell that to everyone who bought a Betamax VCR!
    >
    >Sláine

    Nice try try but no comparison.

    FOR7b, Oct 28, 2003
  12. Laurence Koster

    Rick Guest

    "Laurence Koster" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Compact Flash versus Memory Stick - when choosing a camera, what are
    > the advantages and disadvantages of these two media?
    >
    > Laurence

    Technically, the major difference is that Memory Sticks have their
    memory controllers built into the sticks, while Compact Flash cards
    have no controller of their own -- they use the camera's internal
    memory controller. Because of this, the disadvantage of MS is
    that they are more prone to compatibility problems, e.g. older
    Sony camera models cannot use the newer MS Pro sticks etc.

    Also, CF is used in a much wider array of products while MS
    is pretty much limited to digital cameras.

    The other issue is cost.. A 1GB MS Pro stick still costs ~$450
    while 1GB CF cards can be had for half as much, or even less
    with a bit of searching.

    But I agree with other posts in this thread -- unless you're heavily
    invested in either media format it's silly to make a camera buying
    decision based on whether it uses CF or MS. However, with
    Sony's inclusion of CF on their new F828 I think even they see
    the writing on the wall... MS is on its way out, mainly because
    of its much higher cost and compatibility issues.

    Rick
    Rick, Oct 28, 2003
  13. Laurence Koster

    JohnO Guest

    "FOR7b" <> wrote in message

    > >Tell that to everyone who bought a Betamax VCR!
    > >

    > Nice try try but no comparison.

    Oh Yeah? Tell that to all the people that bought vinal 78 RPM records
    years ago or even vinal 33 RPM LP's and then had them replaced with 8-Track
    tapes, then cassettes and now CD's.

    How about those that bought black and white TV's only to find out they were
    coming out with color, how do you think they feel?

    And I'm sure there are still a few people around that that are pretty ticked
    after they bought the latest and greatest conastoga wagon wheels only to be
    replaced with rubber tires.

    You act like what these last two posters say is assinine ...

    Oh, wait, it is, never mind ... :)
    JohnO, Oct 28, 2003
  14. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    >Technically, the major difference is that Memory Sticks have their
    >memory controllers built into the sticks, while Compact Flash cards
    >have no controller of their own -- they use the camera's internal
    >memory controller. Because of this, the disadvantage of MS is
    >that they are more prone to compatibility problems, e.g. older
    >Sony camera models cannot use the newer MS Pro sticks etc.
    >
    >Also, CF is used in a much wider array of products while MS
    >is pretty much limited to digital cameras.
    >
    >The other issue is cost.. A 1GB MS Pro stick still costs ~$450
    >while 1GB CF cards can be had for half as much, or even less
    >with a bit of searching.

    You also have to ask yourself if you want all those pictures on just one stick.
    I wouldn't. In that case the smaller size Mem Sticks are not so much different
    in price.

    FOR7b, Oct 28, 2003
  15. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    >"FOR7b" <> wrote in message

    >> >Tell that to everyone who bought a Betamax VCR!
    >> >

    >> Nice try try but no comparison.
    >>

    > Oh Yeah? Tell that to all the people that bought vinal 78 RPM records
    >years ago or even vinal 33 RPM LP's and then had them replaced with 8-Track
    >tapes, then cassettes and now CD's.

    Can you still play those records? :)

    >How about those that bought black and white TV's only to find out they were
    >coming out with color, how do you think they feel?

    Can you still watch the black and white TV? :)

    >And I'm sure there are still a few people around that that are pretty ticked
    >after they bought the latest and greatest conastoga wagon wheels only to be
    >replaced with rubber tires.

    Can those wheels still turn? :)

    > You act like what these last two posters say is assinine ...
    >
    > Oh, wait, it is, never mind ... :)

    I would never say something like "assinine" but definitely silly.

    FOR7b, Oct 28, 2003
  16. On the contrary, I think it's a very good comparison.
    It's yet another instance of Sony trying to foist one of
    their own proprietary systems on us.

    Memory sticks cost more than other comparable formats
    and only work on Sony products.
    Betamax was actually a superior product, but also failed
    because Sony thought they could corner the industry by
    not sharing their technology.

    This was definitely a factor that I took into consideration
    when I bought my camera.

    John

    John Rossbach, Oct 28, 2003
  17. "Laurence Koster" <> wrote in message
    > Compact Flash versus Memory Stick - when choosing a camera, what are
    > the advantages and disadvantages of these two media?

    Well, Sony are famous for their proprietory media (and making it hard to
    find years along the line- I can't find a fascia for my T300 anywhere...).
    Oh, and the Lexar sticks occasionally cause problems for the Kodak "Moses"
    in-store copier used by stores in the UK that don't have in-store labs.

    OTOH some CF cards are slow to read/write, and are being phased out in
    consumer-level digital cameras (even Nikon are releasing an SD/MMC format
    camera). In a couple of years time, I expect CF will be a purely pro format.

    But either format is a winner over the SD and xD cards, whose only real
    falling is their stupidly small size.

    --
    Martin Francis
    - "Argh! My hard drive crashed and I lost everything!"
    Martin Francis, Oct 28, 2003
  18. Laurence Koster

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    FOR7b wrote:

    > Can you still play those records? :)

    The question should be: can you buy NEW ones?
    The answer is pretty obvious... :)
    Paolo Pizzi, Oct 28, 2003
  19. Laurence Koster

    Bill Frank Guest

    > > Compact Flash versus Memory Stick - when choosing a camera, what are
    > > the advantages and disadvantages of these two media?
    > >
    > > Laurence

    > Technically, the major difference is that Memory Sticks have their
    > memory controllers built into the sticks, while Compact Flash cards
    > have no controller of their own -- they use the camera's internal
    > memory controller. Because of this, the disadvantage of MS is
    > that they are more prone to compatibility problems, e.g. older
    > Sony camera models cannot use the newer MS Pro sticks etc.

    CF has a controller in the card. The original CF spec was forward looking
    and allowed for much higher capacities (up to137GB) than the original Memory
    Stick design. Currently 6GB CF cards are shipping. CF also allowed for
    faster data transfer rates as flash technology improved. Up to 16MB/sec now
    and 33MB/sec next year. All without affecting forward or backward
    compatibility.

    > Also, CF is used in a much wider array of products while MS
    > is pretty much limited to digital cameras.

    CF is used by a large number of camera manufacturers and in a much wider
    array of other products.

    MS is pretty much limited to Sony products including Sony digital cameras.

    Bill Frank
    www.compactflash.org
    Bill Frank, Oct 28, 2003
  20. Laurence Koster

    FOR7b Guest

    >On the contrary, I think it's a very good comparison.
    >It's yet another instance of Sony trying to foist one of
    >their own proprietary systems on us.
    >
    >Memory sticks cost more than other comparable formats

    The price differences are not big enough for the smaller sized media for it to
    even be an issue.

    >and only work on Sony products.

    Who says it needs to work with non Sony products? I don't expect my 35mm film
    to work in my medium format camera. All it has to do is record images on the
    Sony camera. How does the fact that the media is proprietary prevent it from
    doing its job?

    >Betamax was actually a superior product, but also failed
    >because Sony thought they could corner the industry by
    >not sharing their technology.
    >
    >This was definitely a factor that I took into consideration
    >when I bought my camera.
    >
    >John

    Then you are more concerned about a technicality that has nothing to do with a
    camera's ability to take good pictures, or any pictures for that matter, over
    potentially better image quality from another camera.

    FOR7b, Oct 28, 2003