    would use my collection of CF cards, I'm getting the impression that I
    ought to forget about this idea and just buy a camera on its merits,
    and then get what ever type of memory it needs.

    Lem, Jul 24, 2006

  2. Lem

    Bill Guest

    Lem wrote:

    >My old Canon A80 died (it got wet -- salt water) and as I look into
    >replacing it, I see that Canon appears to have switched from CF to SD,
    >except for the high end dSLRs. What's the reason for this (if, in
    >fact, it is true)?

    Size.

    The SD cards are substantially smaller and that helps reduce the size of
    the pocket P&S cameras. Every bit helps.

    >Although I was trying to save a few bucks by getting a replacement that
    >would use my collection of CF cards,

    I believe the G and S lines as well as the DSLR models, all use CF
    cards.

    > I'm getting the impression that I
    >ought to forget about this idea and just buy a camera on its merits,
    >and then get what ever type of memory it needs.

    That works.

    But if you can save a few bucks, that doesn't hurt either.

    Bill, Jul 24, 2006

  3. Lem

    Juhani Guest

    Hi,
    S 80 uses SD Memory Cards and MultiMediaCards....
    and S 70 __Cf __ cards

    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelTechSpecsAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=10460

    Juhani, Jul 24, 2006
  4. Lem

    Lem Guest

    Bill wrote:
    > Lem wrote:
    >
    > >My old Canon A80 died (it got wet -- salt water) and as I look into
    > >replacing it, I see that Canon appears to have switched from CF to SD,
    > >except for the high end dSLRs. What's the reason for this (if, in
    > >fact, it is true)?

    > Size.
    >
    > The SD cards are substantially smaller and that helps reduce the size of
    > the pocket P&S cameras. Every bit helps.
    >
    > >Although I was trying to save a few bucks by getting a replacement that
    > >would use my collection of CF cards,

    > I believe the G and S lines as well as the DSLR models, all use CF
    > cards.
    >
    > > I'm getting the impression that I
    > >ought to forget about this idea and just buy a camera on its merits,
    > >and then get what ever type of memory it needs.

    > That works.
    >
    > But if you can save a few bucks, that doesn't hurt either.

    Thanks.

    Lem, Jul 24, 2006