    Smoothe movement in video mode?

    Other?

    Morgan O.

    Morgan Ohlson, Sep 1, 2003

  2. Morgan Ohlson

    BUNTOVNIK Guest

    "Morgan Ohlson" <> wrote in message
    news:iQB4b.26430$...
    > Does CF-cards Ultra or high-speed improve camera speed all over?
    >
    > Start time?
    > Continuos Fps max resolution?
    > Download speed?
    > Smoothe movement in video mode?
    >
    > Other?

    It does all of that, except the resolution and video. Video movement dosen't
    have anything to do with card speed, but in some cameras it does have to do
    with the max length of available video. Faster cards do make the cameras
    start up better, and continous shooting will also be faster. The images will
    be written to the card faster, making it possible to shoot new images with
    less time spent waiting. The resolution however doesen't have anything to do
    with card speed, it all depends exclusively to camera capabilities.

    --
    ----------------------
    online photo portfolio

    BUNTOVNIK, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Morgan Ohlson

    Guest

    Morgan Ohlson <> wrote:
    >Does CF-cards Ultra or high-speed improve camera speed all over?

    >Start time?
    >Continuos Fps max resolution?
    >Download speed?
    >Smoothe movement in video mode?

    >Other?

    In some cases highspeed memory card is a requirement for moviecapture.
    This will be especially true for a camera like:
    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/sonydscf828/page2.asp
    (640 x 480 pixels @ 30 fps, 14 bpp)

    For download speed, the answer is obvious =)

    , Sep 1, 2003
  4. ....
    > > Does CF-cards Ultra or high-speed improve camera speed all over?
    > >
    > > Start time?
    > > Continuos Fps max resolution?
    > > Download speed?
    > > Smoothe movement in video mode?
    > >
    > > Other?

    > It does all of that, except the resolution and video. Video movement dosen't

    Well, up to a point. The most obvious advantage is the time taken to read
    and write the card. Typically, we care most about write time, when the card
    is in the camera, since this affects shot-to-shot time. We usually care most
    about read time when we are downloading the pictures into our computers
    (or other devices).

    Now, what needs to be remembered is that an operation can only be performed
    at the speed of the slowest component. If you started with an old original Sandisk
    1X speed CF card and your camera could write faster than the card could
    record the data, the card would limit the write time. Now you replace the Sandisk
    1X with a spiffy, neato 48X Ultra CF card. Will you see a 48 times improvement?
    Almost certainly not. The controler in you camera has a limit to how fast it
    can process and write data. It may effectively be 3X or 6X or even 10X, but
    now the camera is slower than the CF card, and that will limit the write speed.

    Similarly, that old card will take quite a while to read in your USB1.1 card reader,
    since it can only be read at 1X. That new 48X Ultra CF card will be read a whole
    lot faster, unless... 48X exceeds the speed of USB1.1 (or your card reader's
    capabilities). In that case, you won't see any more improvements until you
    upgrade your reader to USB2.0 or IEEE1394, or whatever.

    And so on.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) dmaster (at) lucent (dot) com

    "Follow me, don't follow me / I've got my spine, I've got my orange crush
    Collar me, don't collar me / I've got my spine, I've got my orange crush
    We are agents of the free / I've had my fun and now it's time to
    Serve your conscience overseas..."

    Dan Wojciechowski, Sep 6, 2003
  5. Morgan Ohlson

    y_p_w Guest

    "Dan Wojciechowski" <> wrote in message news:<bjda7o$>...
    > > > Does CF-cards Ultra or high-speed improve camera speed all over?
    > > >
    > > > Start time?
    > > > Continuos Fps max resolution?
    > > > Download speed?
    > > > Smoothe movement in video mode?
    > > >
    > > > Other?

    Depends on the camera. I believe some more advanced cameras dump
    burst shots into a large onboard memory, and then offload the
    pictures into the memory card. The speed at which the card will
    accept data will affect how fast more pictures can be taken.

    > > It does all of that, except the resolution and video. Video movement dosen't

    > Now, what needs to be remembered is that an operation can only be
    > performed at the speed of the slowest component. If you started
    > with an old original Sandisk 1X speed CF card and your camera
    > could write faster than the card could record the data, the card
    > would limit the write time. Now you replace the Sandisk 1X with
    > a spiffy, neato 48X Ultra CF card. Will you see a 48 times
    > improvement? Almost certainly not. The controler in you camera
    > has a limit to how fast it can process and write data. It may
    > effectively be 3X or 6X or even 10X, but now the camera is slower
    > than the CF card, and that will limit the write speed.

    I heard that Lexar came up with the X designation for speed
    relative to an arbitrary 1X standard. It's not a very accurate
    gauge of speed.

    > Similarly, that old card will take quite a while to read in your
    > USB1.1 card reader, since it can only be read at 1X. That new
    > 48X Ultra CF card will be read a whole lot faster, unless... 48X
    > exceeds the speed of USB1.1 (or your card reader's capabilities).
    > In that case, you won't see any more improvements until you
    > upgrade your reader to USB2.0 or IEEE1394, or whatever.
    >
    > And so on.

    Well - as a test, I tried running Norton Disk Doctor on 5 128MB
    CF cards. The reader was a Dazzle 8-in-1 USB Hi-Speed reader (I
    prefer not to use the terms 2.0 or 1.1 because some devices have
    been marketed as "USB 2.0 Full-Speed" - aka no faster than the
    fastest USB 1.1 speed). I figure this is at the very least a good
    indication of read speed (it's almost exclusively a "surface test").

    Three of them consistently took 59 or 60 seconds on several passes
    - two SanDisk (non-Ultra with the red and blue label) and a Lexar
    (red and black label). These three were made in China - but the
    Lexar and the SanDisks don't seem to be of the same exactly design.
    So - as is heavily reported, standard SanDisk and Lexar is slow.

    The other two were from PNY(made in Taiwan) and Memorex (made in
    Korea). Both consistently took 40 or less seconds for the entire
    scan. They also seem to have about 1.5 MB more useable space.

    I work in the electronics industry, and it's quite common for
    companies to pick different suppliers. If I bought another
    Memorex or PNY card, I wouldn't be surprised if they were
    different and performed differently.

    As for myself and my Canon PowerShot 200, I don't think any of this
    makes that much difference. I don't take a lot of shots in rapid
    succession. I am thinking of upgrading my camera, and I might want
    to use the faster cards if my camera and the way it's used demands
    it.

    y_p_w, Sep 9, 2003