    Other than that, is it just about download times? If so, is there any other
    bottleneck that will limit the download below the speed of these fast cards?

    Thanks for any replies.

    cambium, Jan 6, 2005

  2. "cambium" <> writes:

    > These new cards have write speeds of 12 mb/second. (80X). It seems that
    > the compressed video stream for the cameras goes at maybe 2 - 3 mb/second.
    > Other than that, is it just about download times? If so, is there any other
    > bottleneck that will limit the download below the speed of these fast cards?

    See
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

    Some cameras do benefit from the faster write times, although whether the
    time saves is worth the cost is a matter of personal taste and probably
    testosterone.

    I don't download images from the camera. I use a firewire CF reader
    connected to the computer. Having faster download times for several cards
    when the files are big and the cards hold a gig does tend to be noticeable,
    although not really significant.

    Phil Stripling, Jan 6, 2005

  3. cambium

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Phil Stripling wrote:
    > "cambium" <> writes:
    >

    >>These new cards have write speeds of 12 mb/second. (80X). It seems that
    >>the compressed video stream for the cameras goes at maybe 2 - 3 mb/second.
    >>Other than that, is it just about download times? If so, is there any other
    >>bottleneck that will limit the download below the speed of these fast cards?

    > See
    > http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007
    >
    > Some cameras do benefit from the faster write times, although whether the
    > time saves is worth the cost is a matter of personal taste and probably
    > testosterone.
    >
    > I don't download images from the camera. I use a firewire CF reader
    > connected to the computer. Having faster download times for several cards
    > when the files are big and the cards hold a gig does tend to be noticeable,
    > although not really significant.

    For a pro, or serious amateur, downloading a lot of cards with large RAW
    files on it can amount to a lot of time waiting.

    Ron Hunter, Jan 7, 2005
  4. cambium

    Arthur Small Guest

    The size of your cameras buffer.