compact flash card unreadable - how to recover photos?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cathy, Sep 24, 2004.

  1. Cathy

    Cathy Guest

    Hello,

    Please help if you can - my compact flash card stopped working, its no
    longer readable by the camera. I sent it into flashfixers.com but they
    couldn't read the card either. They sent back the following
    assessment:

    "The card failed to be recognized as a valid media. It did not
    respond to any of the methods we use to access memory cards,
    suggesting a total card failure. The card likely has a defective
    controller chip, the only option might be to find an equivalent card
    and remove and reattach the memory chips. This is a very expensive
    process however and results cannot be guaranteed."

    I contacted boomerang.com who told me that if they could recover the
    photos the price might be in the thousands of dollars.

    Are there any alternatives? Thanks in advance!!
    Cathy, Sep 24, 2004

  2. Cathy

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Likley none -- other than buying a new card.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Sep 24, 2004

  3. Cathy

    Steven Wandy Guest

    I used a program called PC Inspector File Recovery. I believe the website
    was www.convar.de. It worked for me previously but I believe you need a
    card reader installed on your PCC. Good Luck

    Steven Wandy, Sep 24, 2004
  4. Cathy

    Steven Wandy Guest

    > Likley none -- other than buying a new card.
    >
    > Phil

    I believe she wants to try to recover the photos, not just get the card
    working.
    Steven Wandy, Sep 24, 2004