    Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
    flash.

    , Dec 31, 2007

  2. Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 03:08:10 -0800 (PST), in rec.photo.digital
    wrote:

    >I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
    >software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?

    I believe only Canon requires their own SW to do this

    >Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
    >flash.

    All but Canon will mount as a removable drive. However, many folks just use
    a simple inexpensive card reader regardless of the type of camera.

    , Dec 31, 2007

  3. Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article
    <>,
    wrote:

    > I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
    > software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?
    >
    > Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
    > flash.

    It depends on your computer and your particular needs. I have been using
    digital cameras for years with a Mac and I have never installed the
    software that comes with the camera.

    Even if you find you need the included software, so just install it.
    What's the problem?

    Shawn Hirn, Dec 31, 2007
  4. On Dec 31, 5:08 am, wrote:
    > I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
    > software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?
    >
    > Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
    > flash.

    All cameras with removable flash memory cards can be used without the
    connection to the computer or the software supplied. One removes the
    flash card from the camera and plugs it into the computer via a flash
    card reader (some computers have such readers built into them).

    If you have other image editing software you do not need the camera
    software, with one exception.

    If your camera can save files in RAW format you may want to install
    the camera software. While recent versions of Photoshop and a few
    others can read RAW files, not all photo editing software can,
    especially the cheaper ones. If you do not intend to use RAW, or if
    you have a recent version of Photoshop, you do not need to install the
    camera software.

    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Dec 31, 2007
  5. ray Guest

    On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 03:08:10 -0800, whitely525 wrote:

    > I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
    > software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?

    No.

    > Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
    > flash.

    Yes.

    ray, Dec 31, 2007
  6. wrote:
    >I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
    >software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?

    No.

    >Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
    >flash.

    Depends. Some cameras can be set to different behaviours.

    But in any case I would highly recommend a card reader. So much easier to
    just slide in the memory card than to fumble around with that cable and
    trying to find the tiny socket under the rubber plug on the camera.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Dec 31, 2007
  7. Dave Cohen Guest

    wrote:
    > I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
    > software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?
    >
    > Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
    > flash.

    As far as I know, winxp will recognize any camera without extra
    software. Canon will not show as a drive number but can be accessed via
    windows explorer or the windows wizard. I don't have any problem with
    canon behaving that way. When I was running win98 I needed a driver for
    both canon and a card reader.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave

    Dave Cohen, Dec 31, 2007
  8. On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:20:23 GMT, Jürgen Exner <>
    wrote:

    > wrote:
    >>I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
    >>software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?

    >No.
    >
    >>Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
    >>flash.

    >Depends. Some cameras can be set to different behaviours.
    >
    >But in any case I would highly recommend a card reader. So much easier to
    >just slide in the memory card than to fumble around with that cable and
    >trying to find the tiny socket under the rubber plug on the camera.

    Couldn't agree more - my biggest argument for the chip reader is that
    it doesn't run down the batteries (I have 2 for my DMC-TZ3 but have
    been in situations where both have been flashing red by the time I got
    done that day despite being fully charged that morning).

    Like everyone here, you would be impressed at some of the shots that I
    DIDN'T get to take due to battery issues!

    :)

    The Horny Goat, Dec 31, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Dec 31, 2:29 pm, The Horny Goat <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:20:23 GMT, Jürgen Exner <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >>I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software.  Is this
    > >>software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?

    > >No.

    > >>Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
    > >>flash.

    > >Depends. Some cameras can be set to different behaviours.

    > >But in any case I would highly recommend a card reader. So much easier to
    > >just slide in the memory card than to fumble around with that cable and
    > >trying to find the tiny socket under the rubber plug on the camera.

    > Couldn't agree more - my biggest argument for the chip reader is that
    > it doesn't run down the batteries (I have 2 for my DMC-TZ3 but have
    > been in situations where both have been flashing red by the time I got
    > done that day despite being fully charged that morning).
    >
    > Like everyone here, you would be impressed at some of the shots that I
    > DIDN'T get to take due to battery issues!
    >
    > :)

    Initially, I downloaded photos from my first digital camera using a
    cable connecting the camera's port terminal to the USB port in my
    computer. However, in the past few years, it has been much more
    convenient for me to just pull the card and place it in a portable
    card reader and connecting it to the computer. However, I sometimes
    wonder whether frequent pulling out and back into the camera and card
    reader will eventually damage the terminal connection at the back of
    the card. I noticed that the scratches on the terminals are getting
    more noticeable with time.

    Do you think that with to frequent movements of the card in and out of
    the camera will result in poor connection of the terminals? Would the
    "spring" be getting weaker if you insert in and out too many times? It
    is not the card that I am more worried, but the terminal inside the
    camera, as it is difficult to fix the camera (you can always get a new
    cheap card)

    Does anyone know if all of the ports at the back of the storage card
    are actually utilized (There are perhaps about 8 or 9 ports in an SD
    card)? Perhaps out of those 9 terminals, they only use a few?

    , Jan 1, 2008
  10. Guest

    On 31 Dec 2007, 20:29, The Horny Goat <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:20:23 GMT, Jürgen Exner <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > wrote:
    > >>I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software.  Is this
    > >>software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?

    > >No.

    > >>Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
    > >>flash.

    > >Depends. Some cameras can be set to different behaviours.

    > >But in any case I would highly recommend a card reader. So much easier to
    > >just slide in the memory card than to fumble around with that cable and
    > >trying to find the tiny socket under the rubber plug on the camera.

    > Couldn't agree more - my biggest argument for the chip reader is that
    > it doesn't run down the batteries (I have 2 for my DMC-TZ3 but have
    > been in situations where both have been flashing red by the time I got
    > done that day despite being fully charged that morning).

    Does the internal memory really sap so much power, and more than a
    memory card..? Surely the flash, zoom/focus motor will sap most of
    the juice..?

    > Like everyone here, you would be impressed at some of the shots that I
    > DIDN'T get to take due to battery issues!

    I always said it ... you can't go wrong with a Box Brownie...

    , Jan 2, 2008
  11. y_p_w Guest

    On Dec 31 2007, 5:23 pm, wrote:
    > On Dec 31, 2:29 pm, The Horny Goat <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 16:20:23 GMT, Jürgen Exner <>
    > > wrote:

    > > >No.

    > > >Depends. Some cameras can be set to different behaviours.

    > > >But in any case I would highly recommend a card reader. So much easier to
    > > >just slide in the memory card than to fumble around with that cable and
    > > >trying to find the tiny socket under the rubber plug on the camera.

    > > Couldn't agree more - my biggest argument for the chip reader is that
    > > it doesn't run down the batteries (I have 2 for my DMC-TZ3 but have
    > > been in situations where both have been flashing red by the time I got
    > > done that day despite being fully charged that morning).

    > > Like everyone here, you would be impressed at some of the shots that I
    > > DIDN'T get to take due to battery issues!

    > > :)

    > Initially, I downloaded photos from my first digital camera using a
    > cable connecting the camera's port terminal to the USB port in my
    > computer. However, in the past few years, it has been much more
    > convenient for me to just pull the card and place it in a portable
    > card reader and connecting it to the computer. However, I sometimes
    > wonder whether frequent pulling out and back into the camera and card
    > reader will eventually damage the terminal connection at the back of
    > the card. I noticed that the scratches on the terminals are getting
    > more noticeable with time.

    That happens. Don't worry about it. It should survive thousands of
    insertion cycles unless it's accidentally bent.

    > Do you think that with to frequent movements of the card in and out of
    > the camera will result in poor connection of the terminals? Would the
    > "spring" be getting weaker if you insert in and out too many times? It
    > is not the card that I am more worried, but the terminal inside the
    > camera, as it is difficult to fix the camera (you can always get a new
    > cheap card)

    This is no better or worse than a battery which needs to be charged.
    The contacts for SD/MMC are fairly robust. I take several cards with
    me and swap them often without ever suffering a failure.

    y_p_w, Jan 2, 2008
  12. On wrote:
    >On 31 Dec 2007, 20:29, The Horny Goat <> wrote:
    >> Couldn't agree more - my biggest argument for the chip reader is that
    >> it doesn't run down the batteries (I have 2 for my DMC-TZ3 but have
    >> been in situations where both have been flashing red by the time I got
    >> done that day despite being fully charged that morning).

    >Does the internal memory really sap so much power, and more than a
    >memory card..? Surely the flash, zoom/focus motor will sap most of
    >the juice..?

    Not to forget that stupid LCD screen which sucks quite a bit of power even
    when you are not taking photos.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Jan 2, 2008
  13. Miles Guest

    * wrote:
    > On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 03:08:10 -0800 (PST), in rec.photo.digital
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I notice almost all compact digi cameras come with software. Is this
    >> software _necessary_ for downloading pix/JPEGs to PC via the USB..?

    > I believe only Canon requires their own SW to do this
    >
    >> Or is the camera like my external HD which behaves just like USB
    >> flash.

    > All but Canon will mount as a removable drive. However, many folks just use
    > a simple inexpensive card reader regardless of the type of camera.

    I have a Canon S70 and have never installed their program (in fact, for
    some strange reason it refuses to install on my PC!) Simply read it into
    the computer with the CF card into a small external USB card reader
    which I also carry when traveling. And no difficulty with Canon RAW
    wish several programs.

    Sorry to say I can't tell you why the software is even there.
    Miles

    Miles, Jan 2, 2008