    Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the camera? Unfortunately, I
    only have one CF at the moment, so can't test another.

    Ugh!

    stevo, Sep 13, 2006

  2. stevo

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:11:32 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "stevo"
    <> wrote:

    >OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB 40x
    >compact flash and put it in the card reader. All this like I normally do.
    >
    >But to my surprise... no images on the CF. Infact, when I put it back in the
    >camera I got "Err CF".
    >
    >OK, I can handle loosing the pics... or maybe I can recover them somehow.
    >But what the heck went wrong.
    >
    >Tha battery is fine, the camera was off, the card was in correctly.
    >
    >Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the camera? Unfortunately, I
    >only have one CF at the moment, so can't test another.

    When you got the card it should have had Lexar Image Rescue recovery
    software on it. Did you copy off the card for use in times like that?
    You can try using this to recover the images, as well as test out the
    card.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Sep 13, 2006

  3. stevo

    stevo Guest

    "Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:11:32 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "stevo"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB 40x
    > >compact flash and put it in the card reader. All this like I normally do.
    > >
    > >But to my surprise... no images on the CF. Infact, when I put it back in

    the
    > >camera I got "Err CF".
    > >
    > >OK, I can handle loosing the pics... or maybe I can recover them somehow.
    > >But what the heck went wrong.
    > >
    > >Tha battery is fine, the camera was off, the card was in correctly.
    > >
    > >Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the camera? Unfortunately,

    > >only have one CF at the moment, so can't test another.

    > When you got the card it should have had Lexar Image Rescue recovery
    > software on it. Did you copy off the card for use in times like that?
    > You can try using this to recover the images, as well as test out the
    > card.
    > --
    > Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    > http://EdwardGRuf.com

    ah, definitely did not see such software on the card. Doesn't mean is wasn't
    there... just don't recall anything being on it.

    But is my card no fried? What the heck went wrong. It jsut stopped working.

    stevo, Sep 13, 2006
  4. stevo

    Dave Cohen Guest

    stevo wrote:
    > "Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:11:32 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "stevo"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB 40x
    >>> compact flash and put it in the card reader. All this like I normally do.
    >>>
    >>> But to my surprise... no images on the CF. Infact, when I put it back in

    > the
    >>> camera I got "Err CF".
    >>>
    >>> OK, I can handle loosing the pics... or maybe I can recover them somehow.
    >>> But what the heck went wrong.
    >>>
    >>> Tha battery is fine, the camera was off, the card was in correctly.
    >>>
    >>> Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the camera? Unfortunately,

    >>> only have one CF at the moment, so can't test another.

    >> When you got the card it should have had Lexar Image Rescue recovery
    >> software on it. Did you copy off the card for use in times like that?
    >> You can try using this to recover the images, as well as test out the
    >> card.
    >> --
    >> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    >> http://EdwardGRuf.com

    > ah, definitely did not see such software on the card. Doesn't mean is wasn't
    > there... just don't recall anything being on it.
    >
    > But is my card no fried? What the heck went wrong. It jsut stopped working.

    Not sure if you had seen it if it was free. I use PhotoRescue which
    costs. Had I seen the free one below earlier, I would be using that:
    http://vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html

    No telling what went wrong with the card. Recover pics if you can, then
    format (preferably in camera) and go from there depending on what you find.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Sep 13, 2006
  5. On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:11:32 -0800, stevo wrote:
    > OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB 40x
    > compact flash ...

    ... Before the camera was finished writing the last
    image to the CF card maybe?

    Not like I've ever done something like that............

    Jonesy
    --
    Marvin L Jones | jonz | W3DHJ | linux
    *** Killfiling google posts: <http//jonz.net/ng.htm>

    Allodoxaphobia, Sep 13, 2006
  6. stevo

    Jer Guest

    Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    > On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:11:32 -0800, stevo wrote:
    >> OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB 40x
    >> compact flash ...

    > ... Before the camera was finished writing the last
    > image to the CF card maybe?
    >
    > Not like I've ever done something like that............
    >
    > Jonesy

    Brings up a question... If one turns off their cam before it's finished
    dumping the buffer, what's the rule here? Does it finish writing anyway
    before powering down, or is that risky enough to not plan on doing that?
    Maybe I ought to go test that.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Sep 14, 2006
  7. Jer wrote:
    > Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:11:32 -0800, stevo wrote:
    >>> OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB
    >>> 40x
    >>> compact flash ...

    >> ... Before the camera was finished writing the
    >> last image to the CF card maybe?
    >>
    >> Not like I've ever done something like that............

    > Brings up a question... If one turns off their cam before it's finished
    > dumping the buffer, what's the rule here? Does it finish writing anyway
    > before powering down, or is that risky enough to not plan on doing that?
    > Maybe I ought to go test that.

    Don't waste your time. Unless you test extensively, you may not find out
    it could be very bad Jose to do so. I.e., don't risk it.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Sep 14, 2006
  8. stevo

    stevo Guest

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    > stevo wrote:
    > > "Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message

    40x

    do.

    in
    > > the

    somehow.

    Unfortunately,
    > >> When you got the card it should have had Lexar Image Rescue recovery
    > >> software on it. Did you copy off the card for use in times like that?
    > >> You can try using this to recover the images, as well as test out the
    > >> card.
    > >> --
    > >> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    > >> http://EdwardGRuf.com

    > > ah, definitely did not see such software on the card. Doesn't mean is

    wasn't
    > > there... just don't recall anything being on it.
    > >
    > > But is my card no fried? What the heck went wrong. It jsut stopped

    working.

    > Not sure if you had seen it if it was free. I use PhotoRescue which
    > costs. Had I seen the free one below earlier, I would be using that:
    > http://vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html
    >
    > No telling what went wrong with the card. Recover pics if you can, then
    > format (preferably in camera) and go from there depending on what you

    find.
    > Dave Cohen

    There's a free one!?!? Crap! I just spent $40 on one.

    It works really well though... :)

    stevo, Sep 14, 2006
  9. stevo

    stevo Guest

    "Dave Cohen" <> wrote in message
    > stevo wrote:
    > > "Ed Ruf" <> wrote in message

    40x

    do.

    in
    > > the

    somehow.

    Unfortunately,
    > >> When you got the card it should have had Lexar Image Rescue recovery
    > >> software on it. Did you copy off the card for use in times like that?
    > >> You can try using this to recover the images, as well as test out the
    > >> card.
    > >> --
    > >> Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    > >> http://EdwardGRuf.com

    > > ah, definitely did not see such software on the card. Doesn't mean is

    wasn't
    > > there... just don't recall anything being on it.
    > >
    > > But is my card no fried? What the heck went wrong. It jsut stopped

    working.

    > Not sure if you had seen it if it was free. I use PhotoRescue which
    > costs. Had I seen the free one below earlier, I would be using that:
    > http://vaiosoft.com/products/recoverymanager.html
    >
    > No telling what went wrong with the card. Recover pics if you can, then
    > format (preferably in camera) and go from there depending on what you

    find.
    > Dave Cohen

    There's a free one?!?! CRAP! I just spent $40 on one.

    Works really well though and I imagine it will come in handy more than once.

    stevo, Sep 14, 2006
  10. "stevo" <> wrote in message
    > OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB 40x
    > compact flash and put it in the card reader. All this like I normally do.
    >
    > But to my surprise... no images on the CF. Infact, when I put it back in
    > the
    > camera I got "Err CF".
    >
    > OK, I can handle loosing the pics... or maybe I can recover them somehow.
    > But what the heck went wrong.
    >
    > Tha battery is fine, the camera was off, the card was in correctly.
    >
    > Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the camera? Unfortunately, I
    > only have one CF at the moment, so can't test another.

    Had a similar problem with a SD card in a Canon S3 IS. Viewed the pics on
    the camera then turned it off. Went to put the card in my laptop card reader
    and was unable to read the card. Put it back in the camera and no images
    present, camera also refused to take a picture saying card was full.

    Recovery software couldn't read the card either. Had to format it first then
    recover the pictures. Not sure if the problem was down to the card or the
    camera. Replaced the card just in case. Hope Canon don't have a problem with
    their cameras that causes these problems.

    Jack Torrence, Sep 14, 2006
  11. On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:03:56 -0500, Jer wrote:
    > Allodoxaphobia wrote:
    >> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 10:11:32 -0800, stevo wrote:
    >>> OK. I took some shots and shot of my Rebel XT. Took out the Lexar 1GB 40x
    >>> compact flash ...

    >> ... Before the camera was finished writing the last
    >> image to the CF card maybe?
    >>
    >> Not like I've ever done something like that............

    > Brings up a question... If one turns off their cam before it's finished
    > dumping the buffer, what's the rule here? Does it finish writing anyway
    > before powering down, or is that risky enough to not plan on doing that?
    > Maybe I ought to go test that.

    Depends on the camera. Usually 'flipping' the switch merely _requests_
    the camera to turn itself off. Most will -- when they're damn good and
    ready.

    On my Kodak DC-280 the informational LCD (not the viewer LCD) stays
    active until the camera has completed the writing to the CF card.
    On my Nikon CP-2000's the red "Flash-Is-Ready" LED flashes on and off
    until the camera has completed the writing to the CF card.

    But, in any case, there's nothing the software can do to prevent you
    from jerking the memory card out of the camera before all of that is
    done. Not like I've ever done something like that............

    Jonesy

    Allodoxaphobia, Sep 16, 2006