    Thanks for your help!
    Reto
    , Aug 21, 2007

  2. Guest

    On Aug 21, 6:36 am, wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
    > be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
    > large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
    > other compact camera better ?
    > Thanks for your help!
    > Reto

    Sony R1, but it is not compact.
    , Aug 21, 2007

  3. Dave Cohen Guest

    wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
    > be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
    > large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
    > other compact camera better ?
    > Thanks for your help!
    > Reto

    I'm confused with the way they measure these things. I can't find the
    actual dimensions, but canon site quotes 1/1.8 for both G7 and my A95.
    New A650IS (which looks very nice) is 1/1.7. I assume these are all
    about the same size but I wish they would just give a size as you have
    done. The A650 IS has everything I would want except I think 12mp is
    overkill.
    Dave Cohen
    Dave Cohen, Aug 21, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Aug 21, 9:41 am, Dave Cohen <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > > Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
    > > be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
    > > large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
    > > other compact camera better ?
    > > Thanks for your help!
    > > Reto

    > I'm confused with the way they measure these things. I can't find the
    > actual dimensions, but canon site quotes 1/1.8 for both G7 and my A95.
    > New A650IS (which looks very nice) is 1/1.7. I assume these are all
    > about the same size but I wish they would just give a size as you have
    > done. The A650 IS has everything I would want except I think 12mp is
    > overkill.
    > Dave Cohen

    I completely agree with you. Why don't they say the dimension (either
    in mm or in.) for the sensor. This 1/1.8, 4/3, etc convention is
    really confusing. I usually visit the dpreview website to find out the
    equivalent size in mm. http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=sensor sizes
    However, some other sites sometimes provide different dimensions, and
    I don't know which one is correct (without going in depth to find out
    how this sizing is measured, etc., etc).
    dpreview indicated Canon G7 having sensor size 1/1.8" (7.18x5.32mm).
    But in other section (shown above), 1/1.8" is equivalent to 8.9x7.2mm.
    I don't know which is correct.
    Other sizes from dpreview
    Nikon D40x - 23.7x15.6, Canon 5D - 36x24 (full size), Sony R1 -
    21.5x14.4, Canon S5IS - 1/2.5" (7.2x5.8).
    , Aug 21, 2007
  5. Alex Monro Guest

    wrote:

    > Hello,
    > Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
    > be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
    > large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
    > other compact camera better ?

    Fuji make some compacts and ultrazooms with slightly larger than average
    sensors. The F30, F31, F20 and S6000 / S6500 have a 1/1.7" sensor, and
    the S9100 / S9600 has a 1/1.6" sensor.
    Alex Monro, Aug 21, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Aug 21, 7:36 pm, wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
    > be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
    > large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
    > other compact camera better ?
    > Thanks for your help!
    > Reto

    Sigma has a vapourware camera called DP1, which uses an APS-C sensor
    (20.7 x 13.8mm). It is quite basic, and has a 28mm-equivalent lens,
    albeit with quite a small max aperture (f4). Some claims that it will
    retail at £600.

    http://www.sigma-dp1.com
    , Aug 21, 2007
  7. Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Hello,
    > Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
    > be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
    > large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
    > other compact camera better ?

    Olympus E410 with the 14-42 lens. Currently the smallest and most
    lightweight DSLR on the market and it even has live preview.
    --

    Alfred Molon
    Alfred Molon, Aug 21, 2007
  8. Allen Guest

    wrote:
    > On Aug 21, 9:41 am, Dave Cohen <> wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Hello,
    >>> Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
    >>> be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
    >>> large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
    >>> other compact camera better ?
    >>> Thanks for your help!
    >>> Reto

    >> I'm confused with the way they measure these things. I can't find the
    >> actual dimensions, but canon site quotes 1/1.8 for both G7 and my A95.
    >> New A650IS (which looks very nice) is 1/1.7. I assume these are all
    >> about the same size but I wish they would just give a size as you have
    >> done. The A650 IS has everything I would want except I think 12mp is
    >> overkill.
    >> Dave Cohen

    > I completely agree with you. Why don't they say the dimension (either
    > in mm or in.) for the sensor. This 1/1.8, 4/3, etc convention is
    > really confusing. I usually visit the dpreview website to find out the
    > equivalent size in mm. http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/key=sensor sizes
    > However, some other sites sometimes provide different dimensions, and
    > I don't know which one is correct (without going in depth to find out
    > how this sizing is measured, etc., etc).
    > dpreview indicated Canon G7 having sensor size 1/1.8" (7.18x5.32mm).
    > But in other section (shown above), 1/1.8" is equivalent to 8.9x7.2mm.
    > I don't know which is correct.
    > Other sizes from dpreview
    > Nikon D40x - 23.7x15.6, Canon 5D - 36x24 (full size), Sony R1 -
    > 21.5x14.4, Canon S5IS - 1/2.5" (7.2x5.8).

    I also vote for real size numbers.
    Allen
    Allen, Aug 21, 2007
  9. Guest

    On 21 août, 13:36, wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
    > be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
    > large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
    > other compact camera better ?
    > Thanks for your help!
    > Reto

    Thank you all for your help.

    I fully support the idea, that masses should be given in sensible
    units. The 1/1.8" and the like are an extention of the habit of
    measuring computer screens by the diagonal. This works as long as the
    number > 1. For numbers < 1, decimals would be more understandable.

    Now, I sensor quality depends a lot on pixel size, as I was said, then
    camera buildes should provide information about it, straight away. The
    1/1.8 thing is a kind of non-sense information. The length of the
    sides in mm would at least allow for a computation of pixel size
    without calling on Pytagoras.

    Regarding the cameras, the Sigma DP1 comes closest to my view of a
    quality compact camera. To comments, yet:
    - Altough I liked very much to work with my 28mm lens of my analogue
    camera, I would hardly buy a camera, which offers that only focal
    length
    - Sigma is misleading buyers with its 14 Mb sensor, since it will
    hardly have a better resolution than a 4.5 Mb sensor in the classic
    sensor technology; this being said, a 4.5 Mb gives good results for
    everyday pictures.
    Actually, my Canon G3 with big pixels and a good reaction time would
    fulfill my needs. Or the S5 IS with bigger pixels, the G9 with bigger
    pixels: short, all those good cameras unfortunately put the accent on
    (mostly unnecessary) pixel numbers instead of pixe size.

    Reto
    , Aug 22, 2007
  10. Kalinka Guest

    On 22 Aug, 09:56, wrote:
    > On 21 août, 13:36, wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > > Since the quality of sensors is said to grow with sensor size, I would
    > > be interested to know of compact cameras (non SLR) having reasonably
    > > large sensors. Canon G3 and G7 have a 7.18 x 5.32 mm sensor; is any
    > > other compact camera better ?
    > > Thanks for your help!
    > > Reto

    > Thank you all for your help.
    >
    > I fully support the idea, that masses should be given in sensible
    > units. The 1/1.8" and the like are an extention of the habit of
    > measuring computer screens by the diagonal. This works as long as the
    > number > 1. For numbers < 1, decimals would be more understandable.
    >
    > Now, I sensor quality depends a lot on pixel size, as I was said, then
    > camera buildes should provide information about it, straight away. The
    > 1/1.8 thing is a kind of non-sense information. The length of the
    > sides in mm would at least allow for a computation of pixel size
    > without calling on Pytagoras.
    >
    > Regarding the cameras, the Sigma DP1 comes closest to my view of a
    > quality compact camera. To comments, yet:
    > - Altough I liked very much to work with my 28mm lens of my analogue
    > camera, I would hardly buy a camera, which offers that only focal
    > length
    > - Sigma is misleading buyers with its 14 Mb sensor, since it will
    > hardly have a better resolution than a 4.5 Mb sensor in the classic
    > sensor technology; this being said, a 4.5 Mb gives good results for
    > everyday pictures.
    > Actually, my Canon G3 with big pixels and a good reaction time would
    > fulfill my needs. Or the S5 IS with bigger pixels, the G9 with bigger
    > pixels: short, all those good cameras unfortunately put the accent on
    > (mostly unnecessary) pixel numbers instead of pixe size.
    >
    > Reto

    indeed, imperial measurements are a waste of time
    Kalinka, Aug 22, 2007
  11. Guest

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:41:26 GMT, Dave Cohen <> wrote:

    >I'm confused with the way they measure these things. I can't find the
    >actual dimensions, but canon site quotes 1/1.8 for both G7 and my A95.
    >New A650IS (which looks very nice) is 1/1.7. I assume these are all
    >about the same size but I wish they would just give a size as you have
    >done. The A650 IS has everything I would want except I think 12mp is
    >overkill.
    >Dave Cohen

    It really is confusing, but there is a nice explanation of how the numbers are
    derived (although personally I think the camera makers *want* to keep consumers
    confused about this). There's also a table of nominal sensor sizes and their
    real sizes. To get to this go to dpreview.com and in the menu at left point to
    'Learn/Glossary' and select 'Camera System' from the drop down menu. On
    resulting page select 'Sensor Sizes'.
    , Aug 22, 2007