Compact cameras with decent indoor movie mode

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by sf, Oct 30, 2006.

  1. sf

    sf Guest

    After some research I've narrowed it down to these 3 (with amazon links
    since I find those reviews helpful):

    Canon SD 800
    http://tinyurl.com/ymw49c

    Kodak v705
    http://tinyurl.com/ylwayf

    Casio Z850
    http://tinyurl.com/ymo8px

    All 3 (except Canon) have MPEG-4 video, image stabilizer, SD card
    slots, and overall good reviews.

    Any comments on these 3?

    This discussion:
    http://groups.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital/browse_thread/thread/c574797f1f8e006b
    also brought up the Canon S2 IS which I haven't yet looked into.

    sf, Oct 30, 2006

  2. sf

    Ron Hunter Guest

    sf wrote:
    > After some research I've narrowed it down to these 3 (with amazon links
    > since I find those reviews helpful):
    >
    > Canon SD 800
    > http://tinyurl.com/ymw49c
    >
    > Kodak v705
    > http://tinyurl.com/ylwayf
    >
    > Casio Z850
    > http://tinyurl.com/ymo8px
    >
    > All 3 (except Canon) have MPEG-4 video, image stabilizer, SD card
    > slots, and overall good reviews.
    >
    > Any comments on these 3?
    >
    > This discussion:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital/browse_thread/thread/c574797f1f8e006b
    > also brought up the Canon S2 IS which I haven't yet looked into.

    The Kodak doesn't have a viewfinder, so if you intend to take pictures
    in sunlight, you might want to reconsider that one.

    I would favor the Canon from this list.

    Ron Hunter, Oct 30, 2006

  3. sf

    Guest

    sf wrote:
    > After some research I've narrowed it down to these 3 (with amazon links
    > since I find those reviews helpful):
    >
    > Canon SD 800
    > http://tinyurl.com/ymw49c
    >
    > Kodak v705
    > http://tinyurl.com/ylwayf
    >
    > Casio Z850
    > http://tinyurl.com/ymo8px
    >
    > All 3 (except Canon) have MPEG-4 video, image stabilizer, SD card
    > slots, and overall good reviews.
    >
    > Any comments on these 3?
    >
    > This discussion:
    > http://groups.google.com/group/rec.photo.digital/browse_thread/thread/c574797f1f8e006b
    > also brought up the Canon S2 IS which I haven't yet looked into.

    The Casio doesn't have image stabilization. On some of their cameras
    they claim that they have a low-light mode or something like that, but
    that's just a higher sensitivity mode, not image stabilization.

    -Gniewko

    , Oct 30, 2006
  4. sf

    veritas Guest

    "Ron Hunter" <> wrote in message

    <snip>

    > The Kodak doesn't have a viewfinder, so if you intend to take pictures in
    > sunlight, you might want to reconsider that one.
    >
    > I would favor the Canon from this list.

    Which Canon ?

    veritas, Oct 31, 2006
  5. sf

    Ron Baird Guest

    Greetings SF,

    All the cameras seem to be pretty good.

    I can say, however, from personal use that the Kodak V705 has excellent
    video capabilities. It is also quite small and easy to carry. Snap it out in
    a flash and get some really good movies. It works at the following. The 30
    fps at 640x480 is excellent.

    Format QUICKTIME MPEG 4

    Quality VGA (640 × 480 pixels) at 30 fps, VGA (640 × 480 pixels) at
    at 30 fps with long time mode, QVGA (320 × 240 pixels) at 30 fps

    Length continuous up to 80 min. based on memory capacity

    Video features zoom during video with image stabilization and auto
    focus

    Review options play, rewind, pause, fast-forward and rewind, forward
    and rewind by frame

    Editing trim, make a picture from video, video action print (4, 9, or
    16 up)

    Talk to you soon,

    Ron Baird
    Eastman Kodak Company

    Ron Baird, Nov 2, 2006
  6. sf

    Cgiorgio Guest

    Cgiorgio, Nov 2, 2006
  7. sf

    veritas Guest

    >>I would have a look at the Panasonic DMC - TZ1 as well: Quick time
    >>(MPEG-4) Movie, 640*480 @ 30 fps, optical image stabilizer, SD card, 10 x
    >>zoom works in movie mode as well. What is missing is an external
    >>microphone jack. You will get motor noise in your soundtrack when you zoom
    >>in movie mode.

    This compact has no viewfinder . How will you deal with that ?

    veritas, Nov 3, 2006
  8. sf

    Ron Hunter Guest

    veritas wrote:
> [...]

    Neither, unfortunately, does the Kodak V705. Sigh.
    For indoor use, this may not be a stopper for most people, but for
    outdoor use, it sure would stop ME.

    Ron Hunter, Nov 3, 2006