    for around £175.

    I really heard mixed reviews regarding this so any advice re this recorder
    much appreciated.

    Nick, Aug 12, 2004

  2. Nick

    Aunty James Guest

    If you are going to buy this, then I recommend that you get it from
    ebay. They are going for anywhere between £50-£70. Not a bad recorder
    and there is a firmware update on the website which will also make the
    machine multi-region.

    The only issue I have found with it is that it does not recognise
    DVD+RDL discs. Plays everything else fine.

    Also, do not use the SVid leads from Sky/Cable. Instead use the yellow
    plug

    Aunty James, Aug 27, 2004

  3. Aunty James wrote:
    > If you are going to buy this, then I recommend that you get it from
    > ebay. They are going for anywhere between £50-£70. Not a bad recorder
    > and there is a firmware update on the website which will also make the
    > machine multi-region.

    I bought mine for £129.99 from Woolworths about 2 months back. Since then
    they have upped the price back to £179.95. I was stunned to learn that they
    are going for between £50 - £70 on Ebay but then I realised that the units
    in question were refurbished - Phew!

    > The only issue I have found with it is that it does not recognise
    > DVD+RDL discs. Plays everything else fine.

    For the money I paid (129.99) I thought it good value at the time.

    Notable pros are:

    Built in 5.1 decoder - this is probably why the unit is so heavy :)
    Progressive output
    3 sets of audio/video inputs ( includes SVideo but unfortunately no SCART)
    Built in TV tuner

    Notable cons:

    Limited to recording on DVD +R/RW only
    No scart input (an RGB capable scart input would be useful)
    No capability of pausing recording (this is a _massive_ drawback to me)
    Extremely tortuous TV channel setup procedure (no easy way of swapping
    channels)
    Somewhat picky about media - it doesn't seem to like the cheap Bulkpaq DVD
    +R media :(

    The inability to pause recording was too much of a drawback for me and I've
    upgraded to a slightly more expensive Liteon 5005. As the Liteon 5005 is
    only £189.99 from SVP and does both DVD +R/RW and DVD -R/RW, it is certainly
    better value for money now than the Compacks at £179.99.

    hth

    --
    Peter <X-Files Fan>
    Please Note: Emailed replies cc'd / bcc'd , containing HTML or attachments

    Trust No One®, Sep 1, 2004