Comp slows down.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by BasketCase, Oct 11, 2003.

  1. BasketCase

    BasketCase Guest

    I've noticed that after I am online for an hour say my computer starts to
    slow down. Web pages take forever to open and even closing down stuff takes
    an age especially shutting down. After rebooting things will be back up to
    speed for a while then the same happens again.

    I am using win 98se Oe and Ie6. I have lots of unused memory so it aint
    that. I've also ran a virus check and use both spybot and adaware but no
    luck there.

    Any ideas ? I may be wrong but I *think* ( though I really aint sure ) that
    it may have something to do with my firewall. ( Kerio 2.1.5 ) as I first
    noticed it after installing.

    Could this be the case? Any advice appreciated.

    ---
    free )

    BasketCase, Oct 11, 2003

  2. BasketCase

    °Mike° Guest

    Basic computer maintenance

    Try a different firewall:

    Outpost
    Outpost Firewall Guide
    http://outpostfirewall.com/guide/index.htm

    Sygate
    http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:29:03 +0100, in
    <bm7f9u$mgn$>
    BasketCase scrawled:

    °Mike°, Oct 11, 2003

  3. BasketCase

    BasketCase Guest

    Thanks for the prompt reply Mike. Could it be possible it's the firewall
    then? I'll check out the links you supplied. Thanks again.

    BasketCase, Oct 11, 2003
  4. your AVG is out of date (but not the cause of your probl')
    ..

    This is Rip Off UK, Oct 11, 2003
  5. BasketCase

    BasketCase Guest

    <This is Rip Off UK> wrote in message
    > your AVG is out of date (but not the cause of your probl')

    Thanks. :)

    ---
    free )

    BasketCase, Oct 11, 2003
  6. BasketCase

    °Mike° Guest

    It's possible, if your system is not up to it. You could also
    try streamlining your startups.

    Control your startups:
    ----------------------
    StartupList
    http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

    Startup Monitor
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml

    Startup Control Panel
    http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

    Check what's necessary and what isn't
    http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:34:58 +0100, in
    <bm7fl1$1as$>
    BasketCase scrawled:

    °Mike°, Oct 11, 2003
  7. BasketCase

    BasketCase Guest

    Appreciated Mike. I've already d/l the hdvalet and I'll look into the
    system startups. Thanks.

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > It's possible, if your system is not up to it. You could also
    > try streamlining your startups.
    >

    > Control your startups:
    > ----------------------
    > StartupList
    > http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/
    >
    > Startup Monitor
    > http://www.mlin.net/StartupMonitor.shtml
    >
    > Startup Control Panel
    > http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml
    >
    > Check what's necessary and what isn't
    > http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_pages/startup_all.php
    > http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
    > http://www.3feetunder.com/krick/startup/list.html
    > http://www.greatis.com/regrun3appdatabase.htm
    >

    > On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:34:58 +0100, in
    > <bm7fl1$1as$>
    > BasketCase scrawled:
    >
    > >Thanks for the prompt reply Mike. Could it be possible it's the firewall
    > >then? I'll check out the links you supplied. Thanks again.
    > >
    > >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > >> Basic computer maintenance
    > >>
    > >> Try a different firewall:
    > >>
    > >> Outpost
    > >> http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
    > >> Outpost Firewall Guide
    > >> http://outpostfirewall.com/guide/index.htm
    > >>
    > >> Sygate
    > >> http://smb.sygate.com/products/spf/spf_ov.htm
    > >>

    > >> On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:29:03 +0100, in
    > >> <bm7f9u$mgn$>
    > >> BasketCase scrawled:

    > >takes

    up

    aint

    no

    sure )
    > >that

    first

    bullshit

    BasketCase, Oct 11, 2003
  8. BasketCase

    Mike H Guest

    On Sat, 11 Oct 2003 00:43:15 +0100, "BasketCase"
    <> wrote:

    ><This is Rip Off UK> wrote in message
    >> your AVG is out of date (but not the cause of your probl')

    >Thanks. :)
    >

    >---
    >free )

    Try uninstalling you firewall and then see if your problem is solved.
    Life is like a box of chocolates. If you leave it in the sun it will melt

    Mike H, Oct 23, 2003