Comp.o.linux.advocacy Linux News Digest for the 24hrs preceeding 21-01-07

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by royschestowitz@yahoo.com, Jan 21, 2007.

  1. Guest

    In today's digest, we have:
    * Zune File-sharing Less Than Promised
    * Opensuse Review - It's No Ubuntu Linux
    * OpenXML - It's Not a Bug, It's a Standard
    * Another Tumble for SCO
    * Debian Linux on ARM Gets Quicker
    * The Economist Suggests Microsoft is Beyond Its Pinnacle
    * Windows Malware/keyloggers Cost Bank Over a Million Dollars
    * Associated Press on the Lack of Vista Hype
    * Review of Web-based (Open)Office Equivalents
    * Ubuntu-based Multimedia Linux Distribution Coming This April
    * IE7 Fails to Balance Convenience Factor, Breaks Applications,
    Fails on Security
    * 2007 Starts Very Well for Linux
    * Open XML - Intraoperability, Not Interoperability
    * Autodesk's Move to Linux-based Systems in Australia
    * Group Organises Gathering to Discuss Future of Commercial Open
    Source Software
    * Some Places that Quietly Use Linux on the Desktop
    * Videos of Linux Devices at the Consumer Electronics Show
    * Novell Delays and Upgrade Despite Skepticism (Repeat)
    * Trinity (Linux-based Rescue Kit) 3.2 Released; Ruby on Rails 1.2
    Released
    * VistA Runs on Linux in Healthcare
    * Mac APIs to Build Windows and Linux Applications
    * Microsoft Apologist Leaves Windows Due to Vista
    * Virtualisation Got Simpler Than Ever, Linux Installation As Well
    * Microsoft Seems to Prepare Another Anti-Linux Tsunami...
    * Windows Zombie Spewage (SPAM) Hits New Record Levels
    * PC Mag: Any Windows After 95 is Most Overrated Product Ever
    * New (and Free) FPS for GNU/Linux
    * Another DRM Failure: Blu-ray Cracked?
    * Crackers Take Over Gorbachev's Windows-Powered Web Site
    * Here's Why Music Labels Can No Longer Survive
    * Microsoft Uses Monopoly to Improve Own Product, Break Others'
    * New Flash-based Tutorial Introduces People to Linux, Provides
    Instructions

    This is a digest of the previous 24 hours (GMT day) of [News] postings
    in comp.os.linux.advocacy. If you have any comments, suggestions or
    remarks, please reply to this message and I will take account of all
    that I can. The digest is created from my leafnode news spool, which is

    pre-filtered, so some poster's articles might not appear.

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Zune File-sharing Less Than Promised
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 09:47:53 +0000

    Not only do songs expire, but also...

    Universal and Sony prohibit Zune sharing for certain artists

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's official: record companies don't like you. After all that
    griping
    | about signing up for the Zune music store -- and keep in mind that
    | these record companies receive monies for selling songs here -- that
    | resulted in Universal Music Group getting some sort of fat royalty
    | check from Microsoft for Zune sales, not to mention whatever
    | negotiations went on behind closed doors to come up with that
    | ridiculously minimal "three days or three plays" sharing scheme, a
    | couple of labels have once again gone out of their way to make
    | life hard on you.
    `----

    http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/19/universal-and-sony-prohibit-zune-s...

    Related:

    A Legitimate Reason to Hate the Zune (And Microsoft Too)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Here's the situation: Microsoft has agreed to pay a portion of
    | the profits from the sales of the Zune to a record company
    | (Universal) because the Zune will undoubtedly be used to
    | store unpurchased songs.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Here it is important to remember a few simple things. The
    | money goes to the Universal, not to the artists.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Microsoft's move sets a bad precedent and turns all consumers into
    | thieves without evidence.
    `----

    http://www.applematters.com/index.php/section/comments/a-legitimate-r...

    Universal to seek money for each iPod sold

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Opensuse Review - It's No Ubuntu Linux
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:01:02 +0000

    openSUSE 10.2 (Review)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I have mixed feelings about openSUSE. On the one hand, it feels like
    | a polished system, and that is reflected from the installation to
    | YaST. Yet, if we take away YaST for a moment, then openSUSE looks a
    | little weak. It feels sluggish, and has a user interface that isn't
    | necessarily better for the user compared to a standard GNOME
    | interface. It has the cost of deviating from the norm, while
    | gaining very little from it. Compare it to, say, Ubuntu or
    | perhaps even Debian, and openSUSE really doesn't stand very well.
    |
    | Put YaST back in, however, and openSUSE has a fighting chance.
    | I would go so far as to say that YaST is the best configuration
    | utility I've used. Unfortunately, I don't think that's enough -
    | Ubuntu manages to keep GNOME looking normal, and seems to work
    | better out of the box, from little things such as ejecting USB
    | sticks to big things like package management. If you're not
    | going to miss YaST, then you probably want Ubuntu. If you
    | still want the big box of options, then PCLinuxOS might have
    | the answer. openSUSE 10.2 is a good distribution, but I can
    | think of at least two others I could recommend instead.
    `----

    http://www.free-bees.co.uk/articles/opensuse102/

    Ubuntu seems to beat Opensuse quite regularly these days.

    http://boycottnovell.com/2007/01/11/ubuntu-opensuse/

    Ubuntu >(gt) Opensuse >> Windows Vista

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] OpenXML - It's Not a Bug, It's a Standard
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 09:53:47 +0000

    A most ingenious paradox: make 1900 a leap year?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | I don't believe there's been enough discussion of the weaknesses
    | gradually being uncovered in Microsoft's 6,000-page dump of Office
    | behavior, which they are trying to call a standard.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | To help Office to become a standard, one adaptation governments
    | could make would be to retroactively declare 1900 a leap year.
    | This would require updates to history books and other documents
    | (for instance, V-E day would change to May 7, and the World
    | Trade Center attacks would have taken place on September 10)
    | but I'd like to see a cost comparison with the alternative that
    | businesses dread: migrating to open document formats.
    `----

    http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/01/a_most_ingenious_parado...

    Yes, even (software) bugs are part of the standard. Forget about
    proprietary
    extensions that are not even included in this 6,000-page historical DNA

    sequence.

    Related:

    The Open XML Lie

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The basic premise of Rob's article was that the Microsoft Open
    | XML Specification was similar to creating a job description
    | that would allow for only one qualified respondent. Such a
    | job description might read as follows:
    |
    | * 5 years experience with Java, J2EE and web development, PHP, XSLT
    | * Fluency in French and Corsican
    | * Experience with the Llama farming industry
    | * Mole on left shoulder
    | * Sister named Bridgette
    `----

    http://3monkeyweb.com/3monkeys/2007/01/17/the-open-xml-lie/

    The Formats of Excel 2007
    http://www.robweir.com/blog/2007/01/formats-of-excel-2007.html

    Is Open XML a one way specification for most people?
    http://sutor.com/newsite/blog-open/?p=1145

    Is Office Open XML A One-Way Standard? Ask Microsoft
    http://blogs.adobe.com/shebanation/2006/12/open_xml_one-way.html

    Signs That Your "Open Standard" May Not Be Open Enough
    http://boycottnovell.com/2006/12/07/signs-that-your-open-standard-may...

    Novell's "Danaergeschenk", by Georg Greve
    http://groklaw.net/article.php?story=20061208135621706

    Sun slams Ecma's OpenXML OK
    http://www.itweek.co.uk/itweek/news/2170681/sun-slams-ecma-openxml-ok

    The Way Forward -- Georg Greve Responds to Groklaw's Comments
    http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20061212025314700#comments

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Another Tumble for SCO
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:10:27 +0000

    SCO faces new setback in IBM case

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Magistrate Judge Brooke Wells of the U.S. District Court in Utah
    denied
    | SCO's motion asking for a finding that IBM flushed code that would
    | have proved SCO IBM injected Unix programming into the Linux OS,
    | according to Groklaw.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | The Linux tussle, which also involves Novell, cost SCO $12.3m during
    | its fiscal 2006, a sum that CEO Darl McBride said would likely fall
    | this year. Coupled with annual revenue that fell 19 percent on
    | weakness of its Unix business, the company is on the verge of
    | bankruptcy, Novell alleged in a recent filing.
    |
    | Novell claims it is owed $26m in licensing fees and that it
    | will be irreparably harmed if SCO is allowed to fade to black
    | without paying.
    `----

    http://www.theregister.com/2007/01/19/sco_setback/

    Related:

    Darl McBride destroying SCO: bankruptcy looms
    http://www.techworld.com/storage/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=369&blogid=3

    SCO Plans Con Call to Discuss Earnings, Layoffs

    SCO bankruptcy called imminent
    http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=902

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Debian Linux on ARM Gets Quicker
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:12:55 +0000

    Debian ARM accelerates via EABI port

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] The Economist Suggests Microsoft is Beyond Its Pinnacle

    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 10:31:08 +0000

    Peaks, valleys and vistas

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://www.economist.com/business/displaystory.cfm?story_id=8550569

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Windows Malware/keyloggers Cost Bank Over a Million
    Dollars
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:07:42 +0000

    Swedish bank hit by 'biggest ever' online heist

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Haxdoor typically installs keyloggers to record keystrokes, and
    | hides itself using a rootkit. The payload of the .ki variant of
    | the Trojan was activated when users attempted to log in to the
    | Nordea online banking site. According to the bank, users were
    | redirected to a false home page, where they entered important
    | log-in information, including log-in numbers.
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.co.uk/security/0,1000000189,39285547,00.htm

    Related:

    Online banking fraud 'up 8,000%'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The UK has seen an 8,000% increase in fake internet banking scams
    | in the past two years, the government's financial watchdog has
    warned.

    | The Financial Services Authority (FSA) told peers it was "very
    concerned"
    | about the growth in "phishing".
    `----

    '9 out of 10 e-mails now spam'

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Criminal gangs using hijacked computers are behind a surge in
    unwanted
    | e-mails peddling sex, drugs and stock tips.
    |
    | The number of "spam" messages has tripled since June and now accounts

    for
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | as many as nine out of 10 e-mails sent worldwide, according to U.S.
    email
    | security company Postini.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "E-mail systems are overloaded or melting down trying to keep up with

    all
    | the spam," said Dan Druker, a vice president at Postini.
    `----

    http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/11/27/uk.spam.reut/index.html?er...

    Increased spam levels connected with aggressive botnet activities

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | MessageLabs announced the results of its MessageLabs Intelligence
    | Report for October 2006. In this report, MessageLabs highlights the
    | sudden increase in spam levels as spammers gear up to the holiday
    | season, attributed to a huge rise in recent botnet activities and the

    | latest outbreak of the Warezov virus, responsible for dropping an
    | aggressive spam Trojan.
    `----

    http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=4359

    Deconstructing a 'Pump-and-Dump' Spam Trojan

    http://www.eweek.com/slideshow_viewer/0,1205,l=&s=25954&a=194164&po=4...

    99.95% is Microsoft Windows

    McAfee Reports on New Generation of Cybercriminals

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Botnets: As predicted in last years report, botnets -- robot
    | networks of illegally linked computers that can be controlled
    | remotely -- are now the preferred method for Internet thieves to
    | effectively execute attacks. At least 12 million computers around the

    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | world are now compromised and are used for phishing schemes, illegal
    | ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    | spamming, spreading pornography and stealing passwords and
    | identities. Open-source criminal collaboration is also generating
    | more robust and reliable botnets with guaranteed ROI.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/General/McAfee_Reports_on_New_Gene...

    Study: Billions of dollars spent on security

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Large U.S. businesses will spend $61 billion on security by the end
    | of this year, representing 7.3 percent of total IT budgets in the
    | country, according to a new report from Info-Tech Research Group.
    `----

    http://news.com.com/2110-7350_3-6135989.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-...

    US lost $8 billion to computer crime

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Consumer reports' latest "State of the Net" survey has revealed that
    | US punters lost more than $8 billion over the last two years to
    | viruses, spyware and con tricks.
    ` ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Linux is better at locking down a computer than Windows. The Linux OS

    | uses configuration settings and user permissions to a much more
    | efficient degree than the Windows administrator account. To do
    | this, non-enterprise users should seek help from third-party
    | security suites that serve as configuration managers, James
    | Bottomley, chief technology officer of SteelEye Technology said.
    `----

    Security Report: Windows vs Linux

    ,----[Executive summary ]
    | Finally, we also include a brief overview of relevant conceptual
    | differences between Windows and Linux, to offer an insight into why
    | Windows tends to be more vulnerable to attacks at both server and
    desktop,
    | and why Linux is inherently more secure
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/security/security_report_windows_vs_linux/

    Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A34978-2003Aug23?language=pr...

    If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | You can think of Windows XP as a house with a second floor built of
    | spackle, wood filler and duct tape.
    `----

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/23/AR200...

    Why Windows is a security nightmare.

    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/05/21/1085120110704.html

    The Structural Failures of Windows

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Associated Press on the Lack of Vista Hype
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:15:08 +0000

    Vista launch points to Microsoft changes

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | ...Microsoft's legion of detractors roll their eyes, calling the
    | new Windows a weak imitator of other operating systems. Meanwhile,
    | technology analysts wonder whether Microsoft's dominance is nearing
    | an end, since programs coming over the Internet are emerging as a
    | more powerful force in computing than software tied to individual
    | desktops.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070119/ap_on_hi_te/vista_changing_era

    It seems like AIGLX/XGL/Beryl/Compiz get all the hype these days. Even
    Mac
    users blush at these.

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Review of Web-based (Open)Office Equivalents
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 11:17:56 +0000

    Online Office Suites: The Winner Is Clear

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | In our hands-on review, one free Web-based Office alternative stands
    | head and shoulders above the rest
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | (ThinkFree wins)
    `----

    http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBas...

    http://tinyurl.com/2mlgjx

    Related:

    Google 'looking to buy' Microsoft Office clone (ThinkFree)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2170714/google-wants-office-suite

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Ubuntu-based Multimedia Linux Distribution Coming This
    April
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 12:31:21 +0000

    Ubuntu Studio
    Coming this April...

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://ubuntustudio.org/

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] IE7 Fails to Balance Convenience Factor, Breaks
    Applications, Fails on Security
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 12:52:38 +0000

    Is Internet Explorer 7 Explorer Too Locked Down for You?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | A store owner in a bad neighborhood must balance safety against
    | commerce. Too many locks and bars will keep away customers with
    | the crooks. Based on Microsoft Watch reader feedback, Internet
    | Explorer 7 sacrifices too much usability in the interest of safety.
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | Many Microsoft Watch readers complain of incompatibilities with
    | Web sites, Web services or desktop software. Back in December, I
    | wrote about one company's new satellite office devastated by an
    | IE 7 upgrade, which knocked out access to CRM and e-mail software.
    `----

    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/web_services_browser/how_you_s...

    http://tinyurl.com/2opg76

    Just days ago:

    Way Too ActiveX

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Today, over at Symantec's Security Response Weblog, Greg Ahmad
    | reveals startling--and I do mean shocking--increases in ActiveX
    | vulnerabilities. According to Symantec, ActiveX vulnerabilities
    | stayed in the 12- to- 15-a-year range from 2002 to 2005. For
    | 2006, the number of vulnerabilities "reached 50," with 42 in
    | the second half of the year--coincidentally, the same time
    | period Microsoft finished up and released Internet Explorer 7.
    `----

    http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/security/way_too_activex.html?...

    http://tinyurl.com/33cfno

    Attack code out for 'critical' Windows flaw

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6150642.html

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] 2007 Starts Very Well for Linux
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 13:50:33 +0000

    2007 Begins with a Bang

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000168

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Open XML - Intraoperability, Not Interoperability
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 13:52:48 +0000

    Nicholas Petreley's blog - Contradictions in Microsoft's OOXML openness

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000167

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Autodesk's Move to Linux-based Systems in Australia
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 13:54:38 +0000

    Australia and New Zealand Visual Effects Industries Support Autodesk's
    Move
    to Linux-based Systems Products

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=98344

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Group Organises Gathering to Discuss Future of
    Commercial Open Source Software
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:02:44 +0000

    Think Tank 2007: The Future of Commercial Open Source

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Think Tank 2007 builds on the success of the debut Think Tank held
    | last year in Sunnyvale, California that included representatives
    | from leading vendors such as HP, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, SAP and
    | Sun Microsystems as well as community leaders such as Doc Searls
    | and Tim O'Reilly. CIOs spoke from organizations that included the
    | Bank of America and the State of California.
    `----

    http://www.linuxelectrons.com/News/General/Think_Tank_2007_The_Future...

    http://tinyurl.com/2vdpsd

    Every event that has something to do with Open Source is attracting
    Microsoft
    these days. This has been mentioned before. There's nothing but malice
    there, as well as an attempt to blend in with "cancer". They try to
    lure in
    Open Source people to come to Microsoft and absorb the Microsoft
    religion
    while taking over Open Source companies and closing them and rattling
    them
    from the inside (no, not just Novell).

    Related:

    Microsoft markets well (Is Aras an OSS marketing ploy?)

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/01/microsoft_m...

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Some Places that Quietly Use Linux on the Desktop
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:07:49 +0000

    So who is using Linux on the desktop?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | More traditional desktop users include:
    |
    | Whitfield School in west St. Louis, Missouri.
    | The State of Utah
    | Rome City School District
    | Camera and photography equipment retailer Ritz Camera
    | IT professional services company Novacoast
    | German engines and engine components manufacturer MTU Aero Engines
    | UK commercial broadcaster ITV
    | Indiana Department of Education
    | Independent record store Free Record Shop
    | The China Meteorological Administration
    `----

    http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/01/so_who_is_usi...

    http://tinyurl.com/36azjo

    That's just a small sample. In the case of Indiana, Microsoft is
    'buying'
    studies whose purpose is to sabotage Linux acceptance.

    http://www.linuxtoday.com/it_management/2006120102126OPMRPB

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Videos of Linux Devices at the Consumer Electronics
    Show
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:10:53 +0000

    Videos showcase Linux devices at CES

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Novell Delays and Upgrade Despite Skepticism (Repeat)
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:13:42 +0000

    Novell Delays '06 Earnings as Options Review Continues

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Along with computer industry giants such as Dell and Apple, Novell
    | is one of many corporations conducting reviews in the wake of
    | recent SEC investigations into stock-option grants.
    `----

    Analyst: Linux Profits by Novell-Microsoft Deal

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2085896,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K...

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Trinity (Linux-based Rescue Kit) 3.2 Released; Ruby on
    Rails 1.2 Released
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:20:35 +0000

    Trinity Rescue Kit 3.2 is officially released.

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Trinity Rescue Kit or TRK is a free live Linux distribution that
    | aims specifically at recovery and repair operations on Windows
    | machines, but is equally usable for Linux recovery issues.
    | It is possible to boot TRK in three different ways:
    |
    | - as a bootable CD which you can burn yourself from a
    downloadable
    | isofile
    |
    | - from a USB stick/disk (optionally also a fixed disk),
    installable
    | from Windows or from the bootable TRK cd
    |
    | - from network over PXE, which requires some modifications on
    your
    | local network.
    `----

    http://trinityhome.org/Home/blog_comments.php?front_id=15&blog_cat_id...

    Rails 1.2: REST admiration, HTTP lovefest, and UTF-8 celebrations

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Get out your party balloons and funny hats because we're there, baby.

    Yes,
    `----

    http://weblog.rubyonrails.org/2007/1/19/rails-1-2-rest-admiration-htt...

    http://tinyurl.com/3bo9na

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] VistA Runs on Linux in Healthcare
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:22:14 +0000

    Reporter's Notebook VistA: A look back and a look forward

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.modernhealthcare.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=200770118002

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Mac APIs to Build Windows and Linux Applications
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 14:24:43 +0000

    Newly released Cocotron lets developers code Mac APIs under Windows

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://programming.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=07/01/15/2123219&from...

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Microsoft Apologist Leaves Windows Due to Vista
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 15:31:29 +0000

    MIT writer says Vista drove her to Mac

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.tuaw.com/2007/01/19/mit-writer-says-vista-drove-her-to-mac/

    http://badvista.fsf.org/blog/images/This2This.jpg/image_preview

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Virtualisation Got Simpler Than Ever, Linux
    Installation As Well
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 15:47:38 +0000

    Virtualization: Simpler Than Ever

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Coupled with the unceasing increase in central processing unit
    | performance, visualization has paved the way for an epidemic of
    | datacenter consolidation. IT directors looking to buy new hardware
    | are suddenly being redirected by their integrators into spending a
    | little more on hardware and VM licenses, and collapsing dozens of
    | physical servers to a few virtualization hosts.
    `----

    Like dual-boot, hypervisors are becoming something a newbie can handle.

    Ubuntu will soon be installable from a Windows installer (includes
    partitioning). See below:

    http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/tip/0,289483,sid39_gci1238129,...

    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/install.exe/Prototype

    The second one is nice. It illustrates how easy installation will
    become.

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Microsoft Seems to Prepare Another Anti-Linux
    Tsunami...
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:04:34 +0000

    Here Comes Microsoft's Next Anti-Linux Crusade?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Hours ago I discovered, through a Microsoft Most Valued Professional
    | (MVP) who submits thousands of items to Digg (mostly pro-Microsoft,
    | which makes you wonder), that the Yankee Group is conducting a new
    | Linux versus Windows survey. Sounds benign, does it not?
    `----

    http://boycottnovell.com/2007/01/20/microsoft-fud-2007/

    Related:

    2006: What it All Means for the Penguin

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6345/1/

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Windows Zombie Spewage (SPAM) Hits New Record Levels
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:31:59 +0000

    Spam is back, and worse than ever

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | New computer viruses have contributed to the uptick, also,
    | particularly a surprisingly prolific Trojan horse program
    | called "SpamThru" that turns home computers into
    | spam-churning "bots."
    `----

    http://redtape.msnbc.com/2007/01/spam_is_back_an.html

    Stop SPAM. Use Linux.

    YesterdaY:

    'Storm Worm' rages across the globe

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-6151414.html

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] PC Mag: Any Windows After 95 is Most Overrated Product
    Ever
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:34:41 +0000

    PS3 named among the Top 10 most overrated products of all time!

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Here's the complete list of the losers:
    |
    | 1. Any version of MS Windows after Windows 95
    | 2. :CueCat
    | 3. Lotus 1-2-3
    | 4. AOL
    | 5. Apple iPod shuffle
    | 6. Microsoft Bob
    | 7. Google Video
    | 8. Bose QuietComfort 2 Headphones
    | 9. Microsoft PowerPoint
    | 10. Sony PlayStation 3
    |
    | You can see it all in print by picking up the Febrary 6th edition
    | of the magazine.
    `----

    http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/01/18/ps3-named-among-most-overrated-pr...

    Good presense for Microsoft in the list; none for Linux and Open
    Source,
    unless the PS3 is counted as Linux.

    [ Which it is, of course! Personally, I'd suspicious of any article
    which
    suggested that Lotus 123 had been overrated - it was a seminal work. -
    Ed. ]

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] New (and Free) FPS for GNU/Linux
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:35:41 +0000

    True Combat: Elite

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.truecombatelite.net/component/option,com_frontpage/Itemid,1/

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Another DRM Failure: Blu-ray Cracked?
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 22:51:50 +0000

    Blu-ray cracked too?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | It's still early on to tell whether this is actually true, but HD DVD

    | cracker muslix64 is back, and with the help of another anti-DRM
    | cracker, Janvitos, claims to have also broken the Blu-ray's
    | implementation of AACS.
    `----

    http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/20/blu-ray-cracked-too/

    The foundation of Vista; the enemy of Linux.

    Freedom (e.g. to back up and view our /own/ product) returns.

    Related:

    AACS DRM cracked by BackupHDDVD tool?

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Note: We're working on testing this ourselves, we'll report back
    | with our findings asap.
    |
    | [Thanks, Max and Adam]
    |
    | Update: Well, it definitely does something. Click on for some
    | pics and our experiences using the app.
    `----

    http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/27/aacs-drm-cracked-by-backuphddvd-tool/

    Big labels are f*cked, and DRM is dead - Peter Jenner

    ,----[ Quote ]
    `----

    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/11/03/peter_jenner/

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Crackers Take Over Gorbachev's Windows-Powered Web Site

    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:03:30 +0000

    Hackers attack Gorbachev's Web site

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | The perpetrators posted photographs of the suppressed rally on the
    | Web site and published an open letter to the former leader, blaming
    | him for the deaths of more 130 people -- a tragedy known in
    Azerbaijan
    | as the Black January.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070120/ap_on_hi_te/russia_gorbachev

    http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.mikhailgorbach...

    http://toolbar.netcraft.com/site_report?url=http://www.gorby.ru

    Windows, Windows, Windows. When will they learn to use Linux/Apache,
    which is
    cheaper, more stable, faster, and more secure? Apache powers 73% of the

    Web.

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Here's Why Music Labels Can No Longer Survive
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:07:00 +0000

    Brit pop star Allen won't change for America

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Pop singer Lily Allen knows precisely where she was when she first
    | realized her "Smile" single was taking off in the United Kingdom:
    | on the Internet.
    |
    | "I was in America and Jo Whiley played it on Radio 1 back home,"
    | Allen said. "My MySpace (page) just went insane. It was first thing
    | in the morning where I was, but there were hundreds of comments and
    | I thought, 'This is it now."'
    |
    | [...]
    |
    | "I'd do songs, put them straight up (on MySpace) and if people
    | liked them they went on the album," Allen said. "The record
    | company didn't think my musical direction was right at all
    | until I set up the site."
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070120/tc_nm/lily_dc

    They cut the middleman. DRM and labels are pointless. The RIAA is a
    lost
    cause and piracy is not the culprit.

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] Microsoft Uses Monopoly to Improve Own Product, Break
    Others'
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:13:11 +0000

    Researcher: PatchGuard hotfix stitches up benefit to Microsoft

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | Microsoft has come under fire for quietly releasing a fix to
    | its controversial PatchGuard kernel protection software in
    | order to improve the performance of its Virtual Server 2005
    | product.
    |
    | ...But it has also broken some legitimate software programs,
    | leading to complaints from software vendors including Symantec
    | and McAfee.
    `----

    http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070120/tc_infoworld/85291

    It's just the same old story. All. Over. Again.

    Related:

    Microsoft used undocumented Windows APIs - Iowa testimony

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 'All I can say is holy API batman...I'm not kidding...we are talking
    | about literally 500-800 APIs here, no joke,' he wrote.
    |
    | Alepin had earlier claimed that Microsoft ran special demonstration
    | programs whose sole purpose was to crash rival products and alleged
    | that the company had subverted developers who used Microsoft's
    | version of Java 'thinking they were developing multi-platform
    | applications, but were actually developing Windows-specific
    | applications'.
    `----

    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/101947/microsoft-used-undocumented-window...

    FLOSS Weekly 14: Jeremy Allison of Samba

    ,----[ Quote ]
    | 'In the section of the interview from around 33m30s to 39m00 Jeremy
    | Allison reports how he was told that the Microsoft team implementing
    | SMB2 were ordered to "f**k with Samba".'
    `----

    http://www.twit.tv/floww14

    Comes v. MS Antitrust Trial Begins in Iowa

    ,----[ Quote ]

    `----

    ------------------------------

    From: Roy Schestowitz <>
    Subject: [News] New Flash-based Tutorial Introduces People to Linux,
    Provides Instructions
    Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2007 23:38:53 +0000

    Introduction to Linux

    Nice and easy to navigate. Videos show all the steps involved...

    http://www.tomlinux.ca/introduction_to_linux.html

    Related:

    http://osvids.com/

    End of Cola Digest