Comp keeps rebooting and other weirdness...

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by heatsink, May 25, 2004.

  1. heatsink

    heatsink Guest

    One of the computers at my work is doing something strange. It is a
    system that is running WinXP and is connected to our network. When
    you boot the computer, it stays on for about 10 seconds. Then the MS
    error reporting box comes up saying that "Run a DLL as an App has
    failed". Then the computer immediately reboots. I tried running in
    safe mode with network support, and the same thing happens. I can run
    in safe mode with no network support. From there I ran Norton AV, and
    found nothing.
    I also ran msconfig and shut down a lot of suspicious looking programs
    that were running at startup. Next time I rebooted most of those
    programs were still disabled, but some of them had duplicate entries
    that were enabled to start.
    Now I'm lost. Does sound familiar to anyone?
    Any help would be appreciated.

    Thanks

    -steve

    heatsink, May 25, 2004

  2. heatsink

    Thor Guest

    get some spyware removal software and scan that sucker for spyware first.
    Spybot Search and Destroy is a good one.

    Thor, May 25, 2004

  3. heatsink

    heatsink Guest

    I ran Spybot (with updated definitions) before I did anything else. It
    found a couple of things. I got rid of them, and the problem persisted.
    That machine has had some serious spyware issues up until about two weeks
    ago. I have been running both Spybot and AdAware. I also ran a couple of
    different virus fixes (sasser & netsky). They found nothing.
    I'm still stumped.
    This is a fun puzzle though since it's not my computer, and I can work on it
    whenever I feel like it. When I get frustrated, I can just walk away from
    it for a few hours.

    -steve

    heatsink, May 26, 2004
  4. heatsink

    mark mandel Guest

    "heatsink" <> wrote in message
    > One of the computers at my work is doing something strange. It is a
    > system that is running WinXP and is connected to our network. When
    > you boot the computer, it stays on for about 10 seconds. Then the MS
    > error reporting box comes up saying that "Run a DLL as an App has
    > failed". Then the computer immediately reboots. I tried running in
    > safe mode with network support, and the same thing happens. I can run
    > in safe mode with no network support. From there I ran Norton AV, and
    > found nothing.
    > I also ran msconfig and shut down a lot of suspicious looking programs
    > that were running at startup. Next time I rebooted most of those
    > programs were still disabled, but some of them had duplicate entries
    > that were enabled to start.
    > Now I'm lost. Does sound familiar to anyone?
    > Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > -steve

    After this happens again, go from Start to Run and type in Eventvwr or
    eventvwr.msc. When the new window appears, left click "applications" and
    see what errors come up.

    The other thing is to download the excellent program HiJack This, create a
    log(which you download to a folder like "My Documents") and post it back
    here or over at www.pcguide.com.

    Mark Mandell

    mark mandel, May 26, 2004
  5. heatsink

    Stuart Guest

    heatsink wrote:

    > I ran Spybot (with updated definitions) before I did anything else. It
    > found a couple of things. I got rid of them, and the problem persisted.
    > That machine has had some serious spyware issues up until about two weeks
    > ago. I have been running both Spybot and AdAware. I also ran a couple of
    > different virus fixes (sasser & netsky). They found nothing.
    > I'm still stumped.
    > This is a fun puzzle though since it's not my computer, and I can work on it
    > whenever I feel like it. When I get frustrated, I can just walk away from
    > it for a few hours.
    >
    > -steve

    Try using spyware blaster and also bazooka, they found a few things the
    others didn't detect.

    Stuart

    Stuart, May 26, 2004
  6. heatsink

    Wizard Guest

    It sounds like the sasser virus shutting you down but you also have
    spyware installed. Goto "ad/remove software" and remove any programs or
    games that you didn't install.

    Wizard, May 26, 2004
  7. heatsink

    heatsink Guest

    Thanks to everyone for the help and suggestions.
    It turns out it was a spyware problem. I had run Spybot, but did not
    yet run AdAware before I posted. AdAware found a whole bunch of stuff
    that Spybot didn't. The computer is running ok (for now!).

    heatsink, May 29, 2004