comodo says maxmyspeed.com is not to be trusted

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by richard, Apr 11, 2010.

  1. richard

    richard Guest

    Just out of curiosity I went to this site to see what scam they were
    running. Most of these sites that run ads on tv are scammers in some form.

    So I started to run their "free diagnosis" tool which is a file you
    download and install on your machine.

    Well, Comodo went nuts. First comodo said there was a virus, then found
    malware. Nope. Ain't gonna do this puppy. As I'm sure that in order to
    really clean my registry, they will then ask you to pay a nice tidy sum for
    doing so. Along with telling you certain things that don't really exist on
    your machine.

    If you want to do it right and free, my old favorite that hasn't failed yet
    is toniart's EasyCleaner:
    http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm

    Toni was a mere child of 14 when he wrote this program. Because his program
    became so popular, the people who owned his domain name hijacked it and
    tried to sell the free program.
    richard, Apr 11, 2010

  2. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    richard wrote:
    Subject: comodo says maxmyspeed.com is not to be trusted

    http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=maxmyspeed.com Norton Safe
    Web found no issues with this site.

    That being said, I wouldn't choose to install a free diagnostic tool
    which requires payment to remove what it finds. The developers would be
    motivated to classify all kinds of benign findings as requiring payment
    for the removal tool.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 11, 2010

  3. richard

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 11 Apr 2010 14:40:59 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > richard wrote:
    > Subject: comodo says maxmyspeed.com is not to be trusted
    >
    > http://safeweb.norton.com/report/show?url=maxmyspeed.com Norton Safe
    > Web found no issues with this site.
    >
    > That being said, I wouldn't choose to install a free diagnostic tool
    > which requires payment to remove what it finds. The developers would be
    > motivated to classify all kinds of benign findings as requiring payment
    > for the removal tool.

    The site itself is not the issue. As Norton probably can't check the file
    you need to download before you download it.
    richard, Apr 11, 2010
  4. richard

    Mike Easter Guest

    richard wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >> Subject: comodo says maxmyspeed.com is not to be trusted
    >>
    >> Norton Safe
    >> Web found no issues with this site.
    >>
    >> That being said, I wouldn't choose to install a free diagnostic tool
    >> which requires payment to remove what it finds.

    > The site itself is not the issue. As Norton probably can't check the file
    > you need to download before you download it.

    42 AV engines at virustotal called the .exe 100% negative.

    InstallCyberDefenderREG-023754.exe received on 2010.03.20 14:38:07 (UTC)
    Current status: finished
    Result: 0/42 (0.00%)

    Complete details including whatall is going on in the registry available
    here
    http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/...69a29ab558ac7de9b011bc83bd28049fb1-1269095887
    or http://peek.snipr.com/vewkc

    There is (also) a website detailing a customer's disputes with
    CyberDefender charges.
    http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/cyberdefender-c172493.html

    A cyberdefender rep also responded on the site.

    It sounds like a legitimate payware antimalware which has a promotional
    style which I don't agree.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Apr 11, 2010
  5. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    richard <> wrote in

    > Just out of curiosity I went to this site to see what scam they were
    > running. Most of these sites that run ads on tv are scammers in some
    > form.
    >
    > So I started to run their "free diagnosis" tool which is a file you
    > download and install on your machine.
    >
    > Well, Comodo went nuts. First comodo said there was a virus, then
    > found malware. Nope. Ain't gonna do this puppy. As I'm sure that in
    > order to really clean my registry, they will then ask you to pay a
    > nice tidy sum for doing so. Along with telling you certain things that
    > don't really exist on your machine.
    >
    > If you want to do it right and free, my old favorite that hasn't
    > failed yet is toniart's EasyCleaner:
    > http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
    >
    > Toni was a mere child of 14 when he wrote this program. Because his
    > program became so popular, the people who owned his domain name
    > hijacked it and tried to sell the free program.

    Just don't bother giving computer advice. You understand the
    fundamentals of how they work even less than Evan.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 13, 2010
  6. richard

    rf Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > richard <> wrote in
    >
    >> Just out of curiosity I went to this site to see what scam they were
    >> running. Most of these sites that run ads on tv are scammers in some
    >> form.
    >>
    >> So I started to run their "free diagnosis" tool which is a file you
    >> download and install on your machine.
    >>
    >> Well, Comodo went nuts. First comodo said there was a virus, then
    >> found malware. Nope. Ain't gonna do this puppy. As I'm sure that in
    >> order to really clean my registry, they will then ask you to pay a
    >> nice tidy sum for doing so. Along with telling you certain things that
    >> don't really exist on your machine.
    >>
    >> If you want to do it right and free, my old favorite that hasn't
    >> failed yet is toniart's EasyCleaner:
    >> http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
    >>
    >> Toni was a mere child of 14 when he wrote this program. Because his
    >> program became so popular, the people who owned his domain name
    >> hijacked it and tried to sell the free program.

    > Just don't bother giving computer advice. You understand the
    > fundamentals of how they work even less than anyone.

    TROLL FIGHT.
    rf, Apr 13, 2010
  7. rf wrote:

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote:
    >> richard <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just out of curiosity I went to ...

    >> Just don't bother giving computer advice. You understand the
    >> fundamentals of how they work even less than anyone.

    > TROLL FIGHT.

    That's exactly what I thought when I read Chuckie's reply.

    I'll pop the popcorn, you bring the beer.

    --
    -bts
    -This poast is valid through December 21, 2012
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Apr 13, 2010
  8. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    rf <> writes and having writ moves on.

    > "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> richard <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Just out of curiosity I went to this site to see what scam they were
    >>> running. Most of these sites that run ads on tv are scammers in some
    >>> form.
    >>>
    >>> So I started to run their "free diagnosis" tool which is a file you
    >>> download and install on your machine.
    >>>
    >>> Well, Comodo went nuts. First comodo said there was a virus, then
    >>> found malware. Nope. Ain't gonna do this puppy. As I'm sure that in
    >>> order to really clean my registry, they will then ask you to pay a
    >>> nice tidy sum for doing so. Along with telling you certain things that
    >>> don't really exist on your machine.
    >>>
    >>> If you want to do it right and free, my old favorite that hasn't
    >>> failed yet is toniart's EasyCleaner:
    >>> http://personal.inet.fi/business/toniarts/ecleane.htm
    >>>
    >>> Toni was a mere child of 14 when he wrote this program. Because his
    >>> program became so popular, the people who owned his domain name
    >>> hijacked it and tried to sell the free program.

    >> Just don't bother giving computer advice. You understand the
    >> fundamentals of how they work even less than anyone.

    > TROLL FIGHT.

    Damn. Just when I was convinced we'd never see them together in
    the same room. Great Balls of Fire... there really is two of them.

    Mike "is it 2012 already?" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Apr 13, 2010
  9. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    >>> Just don't bother giving computer advice. You understand the
    >>> fundamentals of how they work even less than anyone.

    >> TROLL FIGHT.
    >>

    > Damn. Just when I was convinced we'd never see them together in
    > the same room. Great Balls of Fire... there really is two of them.

    What, you actually *believed* that bullshit from Tony and his rancid
    meat created clones?

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 13, 2010
  10. richard

    Mike Yetto Guest

    chuckcar <> writes and having writ moves on.
    > Mike Yetto <> wrote in

    >>> TROLL FIGHT.
    >>>

    >> Damn. Just when I was convinced we'd never see them together in
    >> the same room. Great Balls of Fire... there really is two of them.
    >>

    > What, you actually *believed* that bullshit from Tony and his rancid
    > meat created clones?

    If you stand atop a ladder the whoosh bird...

    Mike "oh, never mind" Yetto
    In practice they are not.
    Mike Yetto, Apr 13, 2010
  11. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    Meat Plow wrote in news::

    > On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:23:49 -0500, The Old Sourdough
    > <>wrote:
    >
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> That's exactly what I thought when I read Chuckie's reply.

    >>> I'll pop the popcorn, you bring the beer.

    >>BEER!!11!!! Somebody say "BEER!!11!!"?

    > Lager or Ale?

    Wimp. It's Mead Stout or Bock. There *is* no other beers.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 13, 2010
  12. richard

    chuckcar Guest

    Meat Plow wrote in news::

    > On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 22:42:39 +0000 (UTC), chuckcar
    > <>wrote:

    >>> Lager or Ale?

    >>Wimp. It's Mead Stout or Bock. There *is* no other beers.

    > I like a high gravity Lager. Double malted barley slow-brewed. If I
    > want to get drunk I'll drink Macallan's.

    Anything less than wine is not something one tries to get drunk on
    either - too much comes out the other end. Stronger beers are harder to
    make and have better taste IMHO. That makes them better by any measure.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 14, 2010
  13. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:55:59 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>> Lager or Ale?

    >>Both!!!
    >>(In no particular order)

    > How about a Black and Tan? (black lager and tan ale in one bottle)

    Black lager? Sorry, no such animal.

    Black and Tan is half Guinness, half pale ale or bitter.

    For sheer luxury value, try Black Velvet- half Guinness, half Champagne.

    Aardvark, Apr 14, 2010
  14. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 09:40:58 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 12:50:27 +0000 (UTC), Aardvark
    > <>wrote:

    >>> How about a Black and Tan? (black lager and tan ale in one bottle)

    >>Black lager? Sorry, no such animal.
    >>
    >>Black and Tan is half Guinness, half pale ale or bitter.
    >>
    >>For sheer luxury value, try Black Velvet- half Guinness, half Champagne.

    > Yeah sorry, the Black and Tan I was referring to was a black Porter and
    > Ale.
    >
    > http://www.yuengling.com/beers_black_tan.htm

    Interesting. I've never seen one ready made in a bottle. Here you'd get it
    in a pint glass straight from the tap.

    > Originally it was Guiness and Bass Ale IIRC.

    Yeah. Either IPA or bitter. I prefer mine with draught bitter, meself
    (that is, if I'm in sacrilegious enough mood to taint my Guinness with any
    other liquid).

    > However how you construct your B&T is according to your taste. If you
    > prefer a Lager over an Ale who is to stop you?

    I'm sure Guinness mixed with lager has another name, but I'll be fucked if
    I can remember what it's called.

    Aardvark, Apr 14, 2010
  15. richard

    Aardvark Guest

    On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:35:38 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:

    >>I'm sure Guinness mixed with lager has another name, but I'll be fucked
    >>if I can remember what it's called.

    > Gagger?

    :)

    Years ago I took to occasionally drinking the following: a triple measure
    of port with a triple measure of brandy in a half-pint glass.

    The recipe came from my own head. Honest.

    I was sitting at the bar drinking one of these concoctions one night and
    my mate asked me what I was drinking. I told him the recipe, as I hadn't
    thought to give it a name.

    "Oh! A mongoose" he said. So much for being original, eh?

    Aardvark, Apr 15, 2010
  16. richard

    dobleK

    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Do You have any idea how to uninstall MaxMySpeed?

    It doesn't want to uninstall, I go to "Programs and Features" and it doesn't unistall.
    I'm so upset about this crap. I have tried severe times, but that sh*t still there.
    dobleK, Sep 20, 2011