Communicating between two "Subnets"

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by energymanz, Aug 21, 2003.

  1. energymanz

    energymanz Guest

    Please forgive me if someone has already asked this question. I need to
    be quick so I don't have time to do a lot of searching. Thanks for any
    help you may provide...

    I work at a school with about 70 computers on campus. There are two
    totaly seperate internet connections with routers on each. I cannot
    define "router", I simply know that it is a gateway to the internet,
    making it look to the world as if there is only one computer here,
    instead of 70. Reason for telling you this is so you don't assume I know
    too many terms. Anyway, there are two, and each are connected to 10/100
    switches that connect a number of computers to that router, then the
    internet. I have run cable from one of the switches on the first group,
    to the one switch on the other. The first group has a router with an IP
    of 192.168.1.1, the second has a router with an IP of 192.168.2.1.
    There's are called seperate subnets as I understand. PLEASE correct me
    if I'm wrong. Anyway, all computers have static address assigned so I
    don't have to worry about changing addresses via DHCP. When I try to do
    anything, ping for example, a computer on the secound group from the
    first, I get no response. This would be pinging 192.168.2.102 (for
    example) from 192.168.1.115 (for example). BUT, when I staticly change
    the ip of a computer in the second group to 192.168.1(<---this is the
    key).whatever, I can ping any computer in the first group. As far as I
    understand, this has to do with there being to different subnets. Even
    if I change the third octec of a computers address in the first group, I
    can't ping any computer any more untill I change it back to 1. Why is
    this? Is it fixable? Or do I simply have to have the whole network on
    the same subnet? I know I could make is so every host is
    192.168.1.whatever, but for organization, I would like to have a
    192.168.1.whatever and 192.168.2.whatever subnets.

    If you could help in anyway, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
    so much for even reading this post.

    energymanz, Aug 21, 2003

  2. energymanz

    Lady Guest

    I have one question for you. When you ping the second subnet and don't get a
    reply - It says something like "Request Timed Out". But, does it also give
    you the IP Address of the computer you're pinging in addition to giving you
    the "Request Timed Out" message?

    Lady, Aug 22, 2003

  3. energymanz

    Gary K Guest

    Ooops. That should be---when you attempt to ping to the 192.168.1.x network
    address.....

    "Gary K" <> wrote in message
    > 192.168.1.x and 192.168.2.x are separate class c network addresses.
    > Because of this when you attempt to ping from the 192.168.1.x network
    > address from a computer with an address in the 192.168.2.x address range
    > that computer recognizes that the address you are attempting to ping is on

    > separate subnet and goes to the default gateway looking for that network.
    > This means it looks outside your network for that address--out on the
    > internet.
    >
    > What you can do to accomodate for this is to change your subnet mask on

    all
    > your machines. Instead of using the default subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
    > use a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0. Using this mask will tell all your
    > computers that any address in the 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.255.254 range

    will

    Gary K, Aug 23, 2003