    Jim Guest

    Sure it's easy to add, but one would have expected the word
    gauge might be found in the spell checker.
    Jim, Dec 21, 2004

  2. Jim

    John Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:27:02 -0600, Jim <> wrote:

    >Sure it's easy to add, but one would have expected the word
    >gauge might be found in the spell checker.

    You're right - one would have expected that.However, since apparently it isn't,
    you have two choices: Add it, or worry about it if this is your biggest
    problem.

    Have a blessed Christmas!
    John, Dec 21, 2004

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:32:27 -0500, John <>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:27:02 -0600, Jim <> wrote:
    >
    >>Sure it's easy to add, but one would have expected the word
    >>gauge might be found in the spell checker.

    >You're right - one would have expected that.However, since apparently it isn't,
    >you have two choices: Add it, or worry about it if this is your biggest
    >problem.
    >
    >Have a blessed Christmas!

    I added it of course. I posted here hoping someone from the mozilla
    group working on t-bird might see this. didn't see any other way to
    feed this back...it certainly is not a bug.
    Jim, Dec 21, 2004
  4. (On 12/21/2004 12:07 AM) Jim wrote:
    > On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 23:32:27 -0500, John <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 22:27:02 -0600, Jim <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Sure it's easy to add, but one would have expected the word
    >>>gauge might be found in the spell checker.

    >>You're right - one would have expected that.However, since apparently it isn't,
    >>you have two choices: Add it, or worry about it if this is your biggest
    >>problem.
    >>
    >>Have a blessed Christmas!

    > I added it of course. I posted here hoping someone from the mozilla
    > group working on t-bird might see this. didn't see any other way to
    > feed this back...it certainly is not a bug.

    Mozilla uses an open source dictionary. And you aren't the first person
    to ever come up with this idea. I'm just happy Thunderbird actually
    *has* a spell checker now.
    --
    Brian

    Email Info--
    http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm
    ::..BRIAN..::, Dec 21, 2004
  5. Jim

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > Sure it's easy to add, but one would have expected the word
    > gauge might be found in the spell checker.

    Dunno which dictionary you're using, but it's in the UK English version.

    Danny Colyer, Dec 21, 2004
  6. Jim

    Jim Guest

    I'm on the other side of the big pond. Don't recall what
    the procedure was in downloading tbird 1.0, but did I
    perhaps specify that I wanted a US version? I don't
    see any options to swap dictionaries in the existing
    browser. it definitely arrived without gauge in it - it
    had a number of other strange suggestions to replace
    that word.

    Jim, Dec 21, 2004
  7. Jim

    Moz Champion Guest

    Jim wrote:

    > Sure it's easy to add, but one would have expected the word
    > gauge might be found in the spell checker.

    The open source dictionary that Thunderbird utilizes contains but 40,000
    words. Even the Netscape propietary dictionary contains 120,000 words
    and there are other dictionaries that contain more.

    The open source dictionary is intended as a 'starter' dictionary, its a
    basic one and doesnt even include many useful online terms. Its
    advantage is, as you even note, that its simple to add to

    --
    Mozilla Champion
    UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org
    Moz Champion, Dec 22, 2004
  8. Jim

    Nobody Guest

    On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:11:33 -0600, Jim <> wrote:

    >I'm on the other side of the big pond. Don't recall what
    >the procedure was in downloading tbird 1.0, but did I
    >perhaps specify that I wanted a US version? I don't
    >see any options to swap dictionaries in the existing
    >browser. it definitely arrived without gauge in it - it
    >had a number of other strange suggestions to replace
    >that word.
    >

    >On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:26:14 +0000, Danny Colyer
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Jim wrote:
    >>> Sure it's easy to add, but one would have expected the word
    >>> gauge might be found in the spell checker.

    >>Dunno which dictionary you're using, but it's in the UK English version.

    This query is about TB, but I run Moz suite 1.7.2.

    I have Spelll Check for Eng/Australia - Canada - New Zealand - UK -
    US loaded..

    Strangely enuf, the only database that kicked "gauge" out was the "US"
    dictionary! Oh, grin, the US president who can't pronounce "nuclear"
    prolly don't know how to spell <gauge> as well. He must provide the
    database for Moz/TB!

    High-lar-ious.

    The Iraqis can and probably will win.
    Nobody, Dec 22, 2004
  9. In article <>
    Nobody <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:11:33 -0600, Jim <> wrote:
    >

    > >I'm on the other side of the big pond. Don't recall what
    > >the procedure was in downloading tbird 1.0, but did I
    > >perhaps specify that I wanted a US version? I don't
    > >see any options to swap dictionaries in the existing
    > >browser. it definitely arrived without gauge in it - it
    > >had a number of other strange suggestions to replace
    > >that word.
    > >

    > >On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 19:26:14 +0000, Danny Colyer
    > ><> wrote:

    > >>Dunno which dictionary you're using, but it's in the UK English version.

    > This query is about TB, but I run Moz suite 1.7.2.
    >
    > I have Spelll Check for Eng/Australia - Canada - New Zealand - UK -
    > US loaded..
    >
    > Strangely enuf, the only database that kicked "gauge" out was the "US"
    > dictionary! Oh, grin, the US president who can't pronounce "nuclear"
    > prolly don't know how to spell <gauge> as well. He must provide the
    > database for Moz/TB!
    >
    > High-lar-ious.

    What's hilarious, is that you're a fucking idiot.

    > The Iraqis can and probably will win.

    Keep letting the "news" media blindly lead you. Too bad you don't know anything real going on there.
    Tarapia Tapioco, Dec 22, 2004
  10. Jim

    Justin Guest

    Tarapia Tapioco wrote on [Wed, 22 Dec 2004 03:42:41 +0100 (CET)]:
    > In article <>
    > Nobody <> wrote:
    >>
    >> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:11:33 -0600, Jim <> wrote:
    >>

    >> >I'm on the other side of the big pond. Don't recall what
    >> >the procedure was in downloading tbird 1.0, but did I
    >> >perhaps specify that I wanted a US version? I don't
    >> >see any options to swap dictionaries in the existing
    >> >browser. it definitely arrived without gauge in it - it
    >> >had a number of other strange suggestions to replace
    >> >that word.

    >> This query is about TB, but I run Moz suite 1.7.2.
    >>
    >> I have Spelll Check for Eng/Australia - Canada - New Zealand - UK -
    >> US loaded..
    >>
    >> Strangely enuf, the only database that kicked "gauge" out was the "US"
    >> dictionary! Oh, grin, the US president who can't pronounce "nuclear"
    >> prolly don't know how to spell <gauge> as well. He must provide the
    >> database for Moz/TB!
    >>
    >> High-lar-ious.

    > What's hilarious, is that you're a fucking idiot.

    So's Bush.
    Justin, Dec 22, 2004
  11. In article <2go.com>
    Justin <> wrote:

    > Tarapia Tapioco wrote on [Wed, 22 Dec 2004 03:42:41 +0100 (CET)]:
    > > In article <>
    > > Nobody <> wrote:

    > >> This query is about TB, but I run Moz suite 1.7.2.
    > >>
    > >> I have Spelll Check for Eng/Australia - Canada - New Zealand - UK -
    > >> US loaded..
    > >>
    > >> Strangely enuf, the only database that kicked "gauge" out was the "US"
    > >> dictionary! Oh, grin, the US president who can't pronounce "nuclear"
    > >> prolly don't know how to spell <gauge> as well. He must provide the
    > >> database for Moz/TB!
    > >>
    > >> High-lar-ious.

    > > What's hilarious, is that you're a fucking idiot.

    > So's Bush.

    Who cares? Talk about Bush all you want. Kerry is an idiot too. And so are many other people in this World. No politician is good. What are you going to do about it? Keep saying blah blah blah Bush sucks? You aren't going to change anything...
    Max Mustermann, Dec 22, 2004
  12. Jim

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > I'm on the other side of the big pond. Don't recall what
    > the procedure was in downloading tbird 1.0, but did I
    > perhaps specify that I wanted a US version? I don't
    > see any options to swap dictionaries in the existing
    > browser. it definitely arrived without gauge in it - it
    > had a number of other strange suggestions to replace
    > that word.

    TB installs with a US dictionary by default. I imagine that you'll be
    better off with your Leftpondian dictionary than with any other, but if
    you wanted to change dictionaries then the way to do it is:

    1) Send something with an incorrect spelling.

    2) When the spellchecker comes up, you will see a button at the bottom
    left showing which dictionary you are currently using. Click this
    button, then click "Download More". This will take you to
    <URL:http://dictionaries.mozdev.org/installation.html> where you will
    find the rest of the instructions.

    Danny Colyer, Dec 23, 2004