commodore 64

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Starcus Maffhorst, Mar 24, 2010.

  1. how to start a program in commododore 64 ????

    Marcus

    Starcus Maffhorst, Mar 24, 2010

  2. "Starcus Maffhorst" <> wrote in message
    > how to start a program in commododore 64 ????

    Run

    FromTheRafters, Mar 24, 2010

  3. Evan Platt wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:28:17 +0100, "Starcus Maffhorst"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> how to start a program in commododore 64 ????

    > Didn't it boot into a command line thing? I think you'd type load
    > <filename>, but shit, been 15 years since I even looked at one.

    Evan's correct. Load <filename> from the command prompt. Once loaded,
    just type 'run'.

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Mar 24, 2010
  4. Starcus Maffhorst

    richard Guest

    On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:28:17 +0100, Starcus Maffhorst wrote:

    > how to start a program in commododore 64 ????
    >
    > Marcus

    RTFM...troll.
    Are you really that serious or just being stoopid?

    richard, Mar 24, 2010
  5. "Evan Platt" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:28:17 +0100, "Starcus Maffhorst"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>how to start a program in commododore 64 ????

    > Didn't it boot into a command line thing? I think you'd type load
    > <filename>, but shit, been 15 years since I even looked at one.

    Yeah LOAD,x,x,x something like that - cat is like dir ya got save, list,
    open...

    Google for Commodore 64 users manual.

    I used to know the screen pokes and color pokes for that and plus 4
    because I peeked and poked around in my spare time - you could port
    programs from one for the other once you had it all mapped - really
    loved that user port too, it was great for the hobbiest.

    FromTheRafters, Mar 24, 2010
  6. On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 14:03:27 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:52:44 -0700, richard <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>RTFM...troll.

    >What makes you think this person is a troll, troll?
    >
    >And what makes you think they still have the manual for the Commodore?
    >
    >>Are you really that serious or just being stoopid?

    >You obviously can't be of any help, so STFU.

    i used to like heating my coffee up on the drive unit.

    --
    dave hillstrom zrbj mhm15x3 Approved by Bax

    david hillstrom, Mar 24, 2010
  7. Starcus Maffhorst

    Peter Foldes Guest

    If I remember correctly the Type the filename and then Run

    --
    Peter

    Peter Foldes, Mar 24, 2010
  8. Starcus Maffhorst

    John Holmes Guest

    Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:52:44 -0700, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>RTFM...troll.

    > What makes you think this person is a troll, troll?
    >
    > And what makes you think they still have the manual for the Commodore?

    I still have the original manual for my Commodore, As a matter of fact, I
    also still have my old Commodore64 that came with the manual. Not that
    I'm using it any longer...

    >>Are you really that serious or just being stoopid?

    > You obviously can't be of any help, so STFU.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Mar 24, 2010
  9. Starcus Maffhorst

    chuckcar Guest

    "Starcus Maffhorst" <> wrote in

    > how to start a program in commododore 64 ????
    >
    > Marcus

    First, what do you have for storage? The C64 came with a tape drive, a
    1541 170KB floppy drive (printed in big friendly letters on the front),
    a 1581 3 1/2 800KB drive and others.

    However a quick precis.

    1541 drive #1: device number: 8
    tape drive: device numer: 1
    1541 drive #2: device number: 9

    directory of floppy drive:

    load"$",8,1

    list

    load a file:

    load"<filename from above",8

    to run a program:

    run

    load the next program on a tape drive:

    load"*",1

    (or l <shift-O> for short)

    You naturally can't get a directory of a tape drive.
    It's only a random storage device on weird computers
    like the Coleco Adam.

    Double check these with the above website. It's been over 20
    years since I've touched one.

    A simple web search of "c64 dos" found this:

    http://www.c64.com/

    click on the word FAQ on the right.

    Truly amazing: you can hook up a SCSI drive to a C64!

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 24, 2010
  10. Starcus Maffhorst

    joevan Guest

    On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:45:48 +0100, John Holmes
    <> wrote:

    >Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >
    >> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 13:52:44 -0700, richard <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>RTFM...troll.

    >> What makes you think this person is a troll, troll?
    >>
    >> And what makes you think they still have the manual for the Commodore?

    >I still have the original manual for my Commodore, As a matter of fact, I
    >also still have my old Commodore64 that came with the manual. Not that
    >I'm using it any longer...
    >

    >>>Are you really that serious or just being stoopid?

    >> You obviously can't be of any help, so STFU.

    Did you make bird chirp sounds on your 64?

    joevan, Mar 24, 2010
  11. Starcus Maffhorst

    chuckcar Guest

    joevan <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:45:48 +0100, John Holmes
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> What makes you think this person is a troll, troll?
    >>>
    >>> And what makes you think they still have the manual for the
    >>> Commodore?

    >>I still have the original manual for my Commodore, As a matter of
    >>fact, I also still have my old Commodore64 that came with the manual.
    >>Not that I'm using it any longer...

    >>> You obviously can't be of any help, so STFU.

    > Did you make bird chirp sounds on your 64?

    It had a three voice synthesizer with full ADSL and waveform selection.
    More than any IBM PC had before Adlib came out with their card much later.
    It's sound capabilities were only surpassed in terms of games (as opposed
    to music - which is all the original Adlib card was good for) when the
    Soundblaster 1 hit the market.

    There was a program that would make the hard drive play "Daisy"
    ala 2001. Scary. Like the Mclaren F1 car playing "God Save the Queen"
    scary. It did it by moving the cylinder stepper motor *real* fast.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 25, 2010
  12. richard wrote:
    > On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:28:17 +0100, Starcus Maffhorst wrote:
    >
    >> how to start a program in commododore 64 ????
    >>
    >> Marcus

    > RTFM...troll.
    > Are you really that serious or just being stoopid?

    Are you? Some people really love the simplicity of the old time games.
    Of course, you can't cram a cassette tape or 5 1/4" floppy in your cdrom
    drive and expect it to work. Easiest way is either an emulator or the
    actual machine...

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Mar 25, 2010
  13. Starcus Maffhorst

    chuckcar Guest

    thund3rstruck <thund3rstruck_n0i@live> wrote in

    > richard wrote:
    >> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 21:28:17 +0100, Starcus Maffhorst wrote:
    >>
    >>> how to start a program in commododore 64 ????
    >>>
    >>> Marcus

    >> RTFM...troll.
    >> Are you really that serious or just being stoopid?

    > Are you? Some people really love the simplicity of the old time
    > games.
    > Of course, you can't cram a cassette tape or 5 1/4" floppy in your
    > cdrom drive and expect it to work. Easiest way is either an emulator
    > or the actual machine...

    Paradroid is one game I've got multiple versions of that originally
    comes from the C64. Very unique game. I've played new two "versions" for
    linux and the original.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradroid

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 25, 2010
  14. chuckcar wrote:
    > Paradroid is one game I've got multiple versions of that originally
    > comes from the C64. Very unique game. I've played new two "versions" for
    > linux and the original.
    >
    > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradroid

    Never did the C64 scene. I was an Apple ][ guy...

    n0i

    thund3rstruck, Mar 25, 2010
  15. Starcus Maffhorst

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    On 25/03/2010 00:49, chuckcar wrote:
    > joevan<> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:45:48 +0100, John Holmes
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> I still have the original manual for my Commodore, As a matter of
    >>> fact, I also still have my old Commodore64 that came with the manual.
    >>> Not that I'm using it any longer...

    >> Did you make bird chirp sounds on your 64?
    >>

    > It had a three voice synthesizer with full ADSL and waveform selection.

    I think you meant to say ADSR. ADSL wasn't around when the C64 was in
    production and has nothing to do with sound generation any way.

    > More than any IBM PC had before Adlib came out with their card much later.
    > It's sound capabilities were only surpassed in terms of games (as opposed
    > to music - which is all the original Adlib card was good for) when the
    > Soundblaster 1 hit the market.
    >
    > There was a program that would make the hard drive play "Daisy"
    > ala 2001. Scary. Like the Mclaren F1 car playing "God Save the Queen"
    > scary. It did it by moving the cylinder stepper motor *real* fast.

    Please show me a C64 that had a hard drive.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 25, 2010
  16. Starcus Maffhorst

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 25, 2010
  17. Starcus Maffhorst

    Moldy Cheese Guest

    FromTheRafters wrote:

    > "Starcus Maffhorst" <> wrote in message
    > > how to start a program in commododore 64 ????

    > Run

    Run where?

    Moldy Cheese, Mar 25, 2010
  18. Starcus Maffhorst

    John Holmes Guest

    joevan "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > On Wed, 24 Mar 2010 22:45:48 +0100, John Holmes
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Evan Platt "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    >>> What makes you think this person is a troll, troll?
    >>>
    >>> And what makes you think they still have the manual for the
    >>> Commodore?

    >>I still have the original manual for my Commodore, As a matter of
    >>fact, I also still have my old Commodore64 that came with the manual.
    >>Not that I'm using it any longer...

    >>> You obviously can't be of any help, so STFU.

    > Did you make bird chirp sounds on your 64?

    Didn't do much with sound, I was more into graphics. I lost very much
    sleep developing a game I called Lucifera. I invented all kind of tricks
    one could do with matches and put it all together in one game. People
    around me really liked it but I was more interested in programming then
    anything else (like playing). But shortly after the C64 I layed my hands
    on a IBM XT machine with a 8 Mhz processor. It had a 20 Mb harddive! And
    a 600 Baud modem! Boy, I was the fasted kid in the block! Since then, I
    can't imagine living without computers.

    --
    <snip>

    John Holmes, Mar 25, 2010
  19. Starcus Maffhorst

    chuckcar Guest

    Desk Rabbit <> wrote in

    >> It had a three voice synthesizer with full ADSL and waveform
    >> selection.

    > I think you meant to say ADSR. ADSL wasn't around when the C64 was in
    > production and has nothing to do with sound generation any way.

    I don't know. I could downlad at 700 with mine <g> (b/s).

    Yeah. Brain fart. Attack, Decay, Sustain and Release of course. BTW does
    anyone out there know of an IBM equivalent for "Instant Music"? Greate
    little piece of software that has a setting that would allow you to write
    music using only 5ths in any key.

    >> More than any IBM PC had before Adlib came out with their card much
    >> later. It's sound capabilities were only surpassed in terms of games
    >> (as opposed to music - which is all the original Adlib card was good
    >> for) when the Soundblaster 1 hit the market.
    >>
    >> There was a program that would make the hard drive play "Daisy"
    >> ala 2001. Scary. Like the Mclaren F1 car playing "God Save the Queen"
    >> scary. It did it by moving the cylinder stepper motor *real* fast.
    >>

    > Please show me a C64 that had a hard drive.

    No, with the 1541 5 1/4" floppy drive stepper motor of course. It
    had a 6502 in it as well (well *sort* of the C64 had a 6510 in it,
    the difference being some memory mapped I/O in low memory) and
    could be user programmed. The disks had by default 40 cylinders,
    but you *could* make the head go to track 45 if you wanted too.
    It may not ever come *back* again without you opening the case
    and physically moving the head back, but you could make it do it.
    You could even upload ml to the drive and have it run it on it's own.

    MOSTEK, Motorolla, NCR and Intel and others all made CPU chips
    for the consumer market and now only Intel remains. A true
    monopoly if there ever was one. Go bit slice!

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 25, 2010
  20. Starcus Maffhorst

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >> Paradroid is one game I've got multiple versions of that originally
    >> comes from the C64. Very unique game. I've played new two "versions"
    >> for linux and the original.
    >>
    >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paradroid

    > Never did the C64 scene. I was an Apple ][ guy...

    Played around with that too. Sort of. Had an Apple III for a while.
    Tempermental beastie that one. Woz did a neat job on the graphics
    with the pseudo sprites. Can't recall what they were called now.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Mar 25, 2010