    alternatives still available in the marketplace be used.

    Alternatively, has anyone a set of cables that could be loaned for a
    limited period, preferably in the Wellington area.

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Jul 18, 2010

  2. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Greg Guest

    On 18/07/2010 2:35 p.m., Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > I'm attempting to gather up items to examine archived tape and floppy
    > material at VUW.
    >
    > I've been offered a loan of a Commodore 64 with disk drive, but the
    > owner hasn't been able to locate the cables required.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if the cables are brand-specific, or can
    > alternatives still available in the marketplace be used.
    >
    > Alternatively, has anyone a set of cables that could be loaned for a
    > limited period, preferably in the Wellington area.

    you need to be more specific, power cable?, video cable?, floppy drive
    to computer cable?

    Greg, Jul 18, 2010

  3. >you need to be more specific, power cable?, video cable?, floppy drive
    >to computer cable?

    All of them !

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Jul 18, 2010
  4. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Richard Guest

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz wrote:
    > I'm attempting to gather up items to examine archived tape and floppy
    > material at VUW.
    >
    > I've been offered a loan of a Commodore 64 with disk drive, but the
    > owner hasn't been able to locate the cables required.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me if the cables are brand-specific, or can
    > alternatives still available in the marketplace be used.
    >
    > Alternatively, has anyone a set of cables that could be loaned for a
    > limited period, preferably in the Wellington area.

    Its a hard to get large DIN plug for the serial between the floppy and
    C64, the power supplies also use a hard to get DIN plug. If you need to
    make cables up the pinout is well documented online and you will
    probably be doing a RS/Farnell order to get the plugs.

    Richard, Jul 19, 2010
  5. Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> wrote in

    > Alternatively, has anyone a set of cables that could be loaned for a
    > limited period, preferably in the Wellington area.

    Some guy in Dunedin has a computer collection, maybe that can help?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jul 21, 2010
  6. In article <Xns9DBCEB70D58FDdaveytaynospamplshot@94.75.214.90>, Dave Taylor <> wrote:
    >"Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Alternatively, has anyone a set of cables that could be loaned for a
    >> limited period, preferably in the Wellington area.

    >Some guy in Dunedin has a computer collection, maybe that can help?

    I know someone with a similar collection and I'm fairly sure he has a C64
    (Palmerston North). Let me know if you want me to ask. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 22, 2010
  7. >I know someone with a similar collection and I'm fairly sure he has a C64
    >(Palmerston North). Let me know if you want me to ask. :)

    Yes :: please.

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Jul 22, 2010
  8. In article <>,
    "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> wrote:
    >>I know someone with a similar collection and I'm fairly sure he has a C64
    >>(Palmerston North). Let me know if you want me to ask. :)

    >Yes :: please.

    OK, will do. Any specific cables you need or 'all of them' ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 26, 2010
  9. Bruce:

    Tks for offer.

    The University people think they can make the necessary cables.

    So please put your enquiries on hold meanwhile.

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Jul 26, 2010
  10. In article <>, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> wrote:
    >Bruce:
    >
    > Tks for offer.
    >
    > The University people think they can make the necessary cables.
    >
    > So please put your enquiries on hold meanwhile.

    OK, will do. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 26, 2010
  11. Bruce:

    Does your copntact have a tape reader for a C64 ?

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Jul 27, 2010
  12. In article <>, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> wrote:
    >Bruce:
    >
    > Does your copntact have a tape reader for a C64 ?

    Maybe ? :)
    IIRC, 'tape readers' of that era were just ordinary cassette decks with the
    modem noises interpreted as (or written as) data by the 'interface'. I know
    the apple II+ one was, as a few times trying to use it was what made me buy
    a disk drive. Listening to the tape was unrewarding. :)

    That typed, what chance do you think there is of any digital tape from 20
    years ago still being readable ? :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jul 28, 2010
  13. Bruce:

    I delivered the C64 to the University this afternoon.

    If the people there cannot resolve any problems, they may be in
    touch with you direct.

    Meanwhile, many thanks for you interest in the problem.

    Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz, Jul 30, 2010
  14. In article <>, "Lindsay.Rollo@paradisedotnetdotnz" <> wrote:
    >Bruce:
    > I delivered the C64 to the University this afternoon.
    >
    > If the people there cannot resolve any problems, they may be in
    >touch with you direct.
    >
    > Meanwhile, many thanks for you interest in the problem.

    Happy to help if I can. I used to run Apple II+, e and gs and remember them
    with considerable fondness ... while recognising that they are just a
    little out of date now. :)
    I'm sure the guys will be able to sort out a cable or 2 for you, but if not,
    happy to help them with it. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Aug 2, 2010