    I'm on my way to Barnes & Noble and to Borders to read and maybe
    purchase a book or two. I do not intend to make a living with my
    limited Cisco skills, just need to get past this hurdle.

    ckhanson, Sep 2, 2006

  2. ckhanson

    BernieM Guest

    "ckhanson" <> wrote in message
    news:IOmKg.667$-kc.rr.com...
    > Cisco 1601
    > I have a [seemingly] simple change to make to several Cisco 1600 devices.
    > Each has a gateway assigned = 10.10.10.254 and I need to change the
    > gateway to 10.10.10.251
    >
    > Rather than spend $$$ for Qwest to make the changes, and they certainly
    > can do it easily, I have been asked to see if we can make the change. If
    > this is a relatively straightforward command(s), could someone describe
    > the syntax? I have "en" access to the devices, and I have a test device
    > to work with.
    >
    > Oh, and to change a subnet from 255.255.255.0 to 255.0.0.0 --?--
    >
    > I'm on my way to Barnes & Noble and to Borders to read and maybe purchase
    > a book or two. I do not intend to make a living with my limited Cisco
    > skills, just need to get past this hurdle.

    The syntax is:

    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 10.10.10.251

    If you have them all talking EIGRP then you only have to make the change in
    one of them.

    Consider this topology:

    All internal routers --- (10.0.0.251) / (its default route) --- the default
    location

    ----------------------------------
    In 10.0.0.251:

    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <its default route>

    router eigrp 1
    network 10.0.0.0
    redistribute static

    ----------------------------------
    In other routers:

    router eigrp 1
    network 10.0.0.0
    ----------------------------------

    The other routers will receive the default route from that router.

    BTW .. what is the impact to the business if these changes don't get done
    properly? Downtime costs $. Is it cheaper and safer to get Qwest in?

    BernieM

    BernieM, Sep 3, 2006

  3. ckhanson

    ckhanson Guest

    thanks for the info - and I agree on having Qwest involved - as the
    downtime costs more than the change. Looking through the books last
    night was interesting. I'll be working with people later this week that
    have only known GUI - my guess is we will be scheduling Qwest help by
    this coming Friday.

    But you will get the credit for the testing we're doing. Again thanks!

    Chuck

    ckhanson, Sep 3, 2006