    Region 1 with 4 changes left. Occasionally, I can get as far as the FBI
    warning page, but no farther.
    , Dec 14, 2005

  2. Per :
    >Due to a severe virus attack, I formatted my drive and re-installed
    >WinXP MC from the Dell disks that came with my Dimension 8400.

    Once you get it all sorted out, do yourself a favor and get something like
    TeraByte's "Image" program and burn a couple of DVDs containing an image of your
    system so next time you can restore it exactly as it was at burn time - assuming
    that you have your data either backed up and/or on a separate device.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Dec 14, 2005

  3. "(PeteCresswell)" <> wrote:

    > Per :
    > >Due to a severe virus attack, I formatted my drive and re-installed
    > >WinXP MC from the Dell disks that came with my Dimension 8400.

    > Once you get it all sorted out, do yourself a favor and get something like
    > TeraByte's "Image" program and burn a couple of DVDs containing an image of
    > your
    > system so next time you can restore it exactly as it was at burn time -
    > assuming
    > that you have your data either backed up and/or on a separate device.

    Why would he want to restore his system to an infected state?

    It sounds like a Microsoft problem.
    Walter Traprock, Dec 14, 2005
  4. Per Walter Traprock:
    >Why would he want to restore his system to an infected state?

    No. You make the image of the system when it's fresh/good/100% working.

    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Dec 14, 2005
  5. AZ Nomad Guest

    On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:21:06 -0800, (PeteCresswell) <> wrote:

    >Per Walter Traprock:
    >>Why would he want to restore his system to an infected state?

    >No. You make the image of the system when it's fresh/good/100% working.

    It doesn't make an image of the system, it only backs up the registry and
    a few system files. If you've installed any applications since the image,
    or even changed settings on your applications, restoring an image may leave
    your system in an unstable state. Using system restore as anything but
    a last ditch attempt to get back to work is usually a very bad idea.

    Get some tools like spybot or adaware installed while the system is stable.
    At least then you can boot to safe mode and use the tools.
    AZ Nomad, Dec 14, 2005
  6. In article <>, AZ
    Nomad <> wrote:

    > On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 05:21:06 -0800, (PeteCresswell) <> wrote:
    >

    > >Per Walter Traprock:
    > >>Why would he want to restore his system to an infected state?

    > >No. You make the image of the system when it's fresh/good/100% working.

    > It doesn't make an image of the system, it only backs up the registry and
    > a few system files. If you've installed any applications since the image,
    > or even changed settings on your applications, restoring an image may leave
    > your system in an unstable state. Using system restore as anything but
    > a last ditch attempt to get back to work is usually a very bad idea.
    >

    > Get some tools like spybot or adaware installed while the system is stable.
    > At least then you can boot to safe mode and use the tools.

    Some people have good luck with G5 Macs too! I don't think they're as
    susceptible to spy or ad ware. Viruses either, come to think of it.

    Heinrich
    Heinrich Galland, Dec 14, 2005
  7. Per AZ Nomad:
    >It doesn't make an image of the system, it only backs up the registry and
    >a few system files. If you've installed any applications since the image,
    >or even changed settings on your applications, restoring an image may leave
    >your system in an unstable state. Using system restore as anything but
    >a last ditch attempt to get back to work is usually a very bad idea.

    Not the product I'm referring to. It makes a bit-for-bit copy of your C:
    drive.

    Restores are rock-solid. I've got a 12 year old using my PC for a couple hours
    a day - so I have occasion to restore my system fairly often. No problems.

    Obvious Caveats:
    1) If you installed something since the image was taken, it won't be there after
    the restore. But the same thing applies to viruses, unwanted IE toolbars, and
    so-forth. The idea is to return the system to a known state.

    2) Its on you to keep your data somewhere besides the C: (system) drive. My
    experience has been that not a whole lot of people can or want to grasp this
    concept - and I've kind of given up trying to explain it to people... but it's
    quite important.

    The product I'm talking about is PC-specific, but I'd bet the mortgage money
    that there are a half-dozen similar products for the Mac.
    --
    PeteCresswell
    (PeteCresswell), Dec 14, 2005
  8. Jordan Guest

    Sounds like you need a new MPG2 codec.

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Dec 15, 2005
  9. Guest

    Jordan, would that codec be different than than the one that would
    allow me to play home made DVD's? I ran a codec check program from MS,
    and it said the codec I have installed is working properly. But if
    playing commercial DVD's requires a different codec, I'd certainly try
    to find one that works.

    Tanks.
    , Dec 15, 2005
  10. Jordan Guest

    It depends on how the home-made DVDs were made. There are different
    codecs out there. Without knowing how the home-made DVDs were made it's
    hard to say.

    Try this site, they have free codecs on the left hand side under the
    "video" heading.

    http://www.free-codecs.com/

    - Jordan
    Jordan, Dec 15, 2005
  11. Jordan Guest

    The site I just linked to also has a codec pack specifically for
    Windows XP:

    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/XP_Codec_Pack.htm

    XP Codec Pack is spyware / adware free!

    XP Codec Pack 1.3.0 includes :

    - AC3Filter 1.01a RC5
    - AVI Splitter 1.0.0.5
    - CDXA Reader 1.0.0.1
    - CoreAAC (AAC DirectShow Decoder) 1.2.0
    - CoreFlac Decoder 0.4
    - FFDShow MPEG-4 Video Decoder 2004.10.12
    - GPL MPEG-1/2 Decoder 0.1.2.0
    - Matroska Splitter 1.0.2.7
    - Media Player Classic 6.4.8.7
    - OggSplitter/CoreVorbis 1.1.0.79
    - RealMedia Splitter 1.0.1.1
    - RadLight MPC Filter 1.0.0.4
    - RadLight APE Filter 1.0.0.4
    - RadLight OFR Filter 1.0.0.4
    - RadLight TTA Filter 1.0.0.2
    - The Codec Detective 2.0
    - VSFilter (DirectVobSub) 2.37

    Features of XP Codec Pack :

    - clean & compact
    - no spyware / adware / viruses included
    - easy to install / uninstall
    - easy to use
    - 100% legal
    - 100% freeware!

    Changes in XP Codec Pack 1.3.0 :

    - Updated Media Player Classic to version 6.4.8.7
    - Updated AVI Splitter to version 1.0.0.5
    - Updated CDXA Reader to version 1.0.0.1
    - Updated Matroska Splitter to version 1.0.2.7
    - Updated RealMedia Splitter to version 1.0.1.1
    - Updated VSFilter (DirectVobSub) to version 2.37
    Jordan, Dec 15, 2005