Comments on Vista RC1....

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by thingy, Sep 13, 2006.

  1. thingy

    thingy Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. thingy wrote:
    > http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1868642,00.html
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing


    And some other comments: after a week on the street, RC1 is garnering
    its fair share of positive reviews and early looks

    Testers: Vista RC1 Appears Stable
    Microsoft seems to be on track to release the next version of Windows
    on schedule.
    By Elizabeth Montalbano
    September 6, 2006
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127045-c,vistalonghorn/article.html

    · Early feedback from testers already using Windows Vista
    Release Candidate 1 report that the OS is more stable than expected,
    which bodes well for Microsoft's plan to have Vista out according to
    its current schedule.
    · Another Vista tester, Andrew Brust, chief of new technology
    for New York consulting firm Twentysix New York, said the latest test
    release of Vista feels more "grown up," even on hardware that is not
    necessarily optimized for the OS.
    · "Besides the fact that it's just a really nice OS, it feels
    very sprightly even on hardware that wasn't designed for it," he said.

    Microsoft says Vista prices same as XP
    By Staff
    September 5, 2006
    http://www.boston.com/business/tech...09/05/microsoft_says_vista_prices_same_as_xp/

    · Vista, the company's first new operating system in five
    years, touts a sleeker look, improved security features, better
    protection against spyware and viruses and more intuitive search tools
    to help users find saved files.
    · "We're in the last mile for Windows Vista, and the release
    candidate marks a great amount of progress and a great step toward
    final release," said Shanen Boettcher, general manager of product
    management for the division that includes Windows.

    Microsoft releases Windows Vista RC1 to millions of testers
    By Preston Gralla and Scot Finnie
    September 1, 2006
    http://computerworld.com/action/art...articleId=9002956&taxonomyId=17&intsrc=kc_top

    · The RC1 version of Vista offers a long list of operational
    and performance improvements over the Beta 2 version, including faster
    performance, improved driver support, an easier-to-use networking
    interface and a variety of changes to the "fit and finish" of the
    operating system, said testers.

    Review: Windows Vista RC 1 Is Almost Ready For Prime Time
    By Preston Gralla
    September 6, 2006
    http://www.techweb.com/article/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=161300005&pgno=1

    · The long wait for a usable version of Windows Vista is
    finally over -- the newly released Release Candidate 1 (RC1) version of
    Windows Vista is faster, fitter, and sports a leaner, far easier-to-use
    interface. Up until now, I've been a skeptic, not convinced that
    Microsoft would be able to meet its planned date of January 2007 for
    consumer availability. But this most recent release has turned me into
    a believer.

    Vista RC1: First looks, screengrabs
    By Mike Barton
    September 01, 2006
    http://weblog.infoworld.com/tcdaily/archives/2006/09/vista_rc1_first.html

    · Everything feels a LOT more finished and look and feel is
    near final

    Inside Microsoft Windows Vista Release Candidate 1
    By John Clyman
    September 2, 2006
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2011603,00.asp

    · Vista's new look and feel is beginning to solidify, and the
    last-minute features have gotten smaller, though no less intriguing.
     
    Nathan Mercer, Sep 13, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. thingy

    thingy Guest

    Nathan Mercer wrote:
    > thingy wrote:
    >> http://observer.guardian.co.uk/business/story/0,,1868642,00.html
    >>
    >> regards
    >>
    >> Thing

    >
    > And some other comments: after a week on the street, RC1 is garnering
    > its fair share of positive reviews and early looks
    >
    > Testers: Vista RC1 Appears Stable
    > Microsoft seems to be on track to release the next version of Windows
    > on schedule.
    > By Elizabeth Montalbano
    > September 6, 2006
    > http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,127045-c,vistalonghorn/article.html
    >
    > · Early feedback from testers already using Windows Vista
    > Release Candidate 1 report that the OS is more stable than expected,
    > which bodes well for Microsoft's plan to have Vista out according to
    > its current schedule.
    > · Another Vista tester, Andrew Brust, chief of new technology
    > for New York consulting firm Twentysix New York, said the latest test
    > release of Vista feels more "grown up," even on hardware that is not
    > necessarily optimized for the OS.
    > · "Besides the fact that it's just a really nice OS, it feels
    > very sprightly even on hardware that wasn't designed for it," he said.
    >
    > Microsoft says Vista prices same as XP
    > By Staff
    > September 5, 2006
    > http://www.boston.com/business/tech...09/05/microsoft_says_vista_prices_same_as_xp/
    >
    > · Vista, the company's first new operating system in five
    > years, touts a sleeker look, improved security features, better
    > protection against spyware and viruses and more intuitive search tools
    > to help users find saved files.
    > · "We're in the last mile for Windows Vista, and the release
    > candidate marks a great amount of progress and a great step toward
    > final release," said Shanen Boettcher, general manager of product
    > management for the division that includes Windows.
    >
    > Microsoft releases Windows Vista RC1 to millions of testers
    > By Preston Gralla and Scot Finnie
    > September 1, 2006
    > http://computerworld.com/action/art...articleId=9002956&taxonomyId=17&intsrc=kc_top
    >
    > · The RC1 version of Vista offers a long list of operational
    > and performance improvements over the Beta 2 version, including faster
    > performance, improved driver support, an easier-to-use networking
    > interface and a variety of changes to the "fit and finish" of the
    > operating system, said testers.
    >
    > Review: Windows Vista RC 1 Is Almost Ready For Prime Time
    > By Preston Gralla
    > September 6, 2006
    > http://www.techweb.com/article/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=161300005&pgno=1
    >
    > · The long wait for a usable version of Windows Vista is
    > finally over -- the newly released Release Candidate 1 (RC1) version of
    > Windows Vista is faster, fitter, and sports a leaner, far easier-to-use
    > interface. Up until now, I've been a skeptic, not convinced that
    > Microsoft would be able to meet its planned date of January 2007 for
    > consumer availability. But this most recent release has turned me into
    > a believer.
    >
    > Vista RC1: First looks, screengrabs
    > By Mike Barton
    > September 01, 2006
    > http://weblog.infoworld.com/tcdaily/archives/2006/09/vista_rc1_first.html
    >
    > · Everything feels a LOT more finished and look and feel is
    > near final
    >
    > Inside Microsoft Windows Vista Release Candidate 1
    > By John Clyman
    > September 2, 2006
    > http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,2011603,00.asp
    >
    > · Vista's new look and feel is beginning to solidify, and the
    > last-minute features have gotten smaller, though no less intriguing.
    >


    The comments I saw suggested it still needs work and was not good enough
    for RC1....at best Beta....

    regards

    Thing
     
    thingy, Sep 13, 2006
    #3
  4. thingy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:16:17 +1200, thingy
    <> exclaimed:

    >> · Vista's new look and feel is beginning to solidify, and the
    >> last-minute features have gotten smaller, though no less intriguing.
    >>

    >
    >The comments I saw suggested it still needs work and was not good enough
    >for RC1....at best Beta....


    There's always going to be people putting out opinion pieces on both
    sides of the argument, but those comments are definately in the
    minority. I would take a look at the agenda anyone making those sorts
    of comments has.

    Having played with it myself now, I can confirm that it is VERY nice.
    Definately smooth and stable, with the only issue being drivers for a
    couple of minor things, which I sorted out after a few minutes anyway.

    From my own experience, it is definately of RC quality.
     
    Fred Dagg, Sep 13, 2006
    #4
  5. "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:16:17 +1200, thingy
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    >>> · Vista's new look and feel is beginning to solidify, and the
    >>> last-minute features have gotten smaller, though no less intriguing.
    >>>

    >>
    >>The comments I saw suggested it still needs work and was not good enough
    >>for RC1....at best Beta....

    >
    > There's always going to be people putting out opinion pieces on both
    > sides of the argument, but those comments are definately in the
    > minority. I would take a look at the agenda anyone making those sorts
    > of comments has.
    >
    > Having played with it myself now, I can confirm that it is VERY nice.
    > Definately smooth and stable, with the only issue being drivers for a
    > couple of minor things, which I sorted out after a few minutes anyway.
    >
    > From my own experience, it is definately of RC quality.


    I may be slightly biased but I have to agree with Fred on this one. Windows
    Vista RC1 is a huge improvement on the 3 or 4 betas I've trialled so far
    especially with regard to performance and reliability. I'm running Vista
    Ultimate on a Toshiba Tecra M4 and it's as fast as Windows XP Pro was on the
    same machine and it's been rock solid since I installed it a week or so
    back.

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ
     
    Brett Roberts, Sep 13, 2006
    #5
  6. thingy

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:16:17 +1200, thingy
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    > >> · Vista's new look and feel is beginning to solidify, and the
    > >> last-minute features have gotten smaller, though no less intriguing.
    > >>

    > >
    > >The comments I saw suggested it still needs work and was not good enough
    > >for RC1....at best Beta....

    >
    > There's always going to be people putting out opinion pieces on both
    > sides of the argument, but those comments are definately in the
    > minority. I would take a look at the agenda anyone making those sorts
    > of comments has.
    >
    > Having played with it myself now, I can confirm that it is VERY nice.
    > Definately smooth and stable, with the only issue being drivers for a
    > couple of minor things, which I sorted out after a few minutes anyway.
    >
    > From my own experience, it is definately of RC quality.


    I would agree. I like it a lot.

    --
    Duncan
     
    Dave Doe, Sep 13, 2006
    #6
  7. thingy

    Judges 13:18 Guest

    thingy wrote:
    >>
    >> · Vista's new look and feel is beginning to solidify, and the
    >> last-minute features have gotten smaller, though no less intriguing.
    >>

    >
    > The comments I saw suggested it still needs work and was not good enough
    > for RC1....at best Beta....
    >


    A colleague from work has given it a go and thinks the same.
    The installation is not very straightforward, according to him,
    nor without need for quite a bit of expertise. Certain things
    that used to be possible (motherboard servicing??) with XP,
    are now not possible, and certain drivers had to be hunted
    down. Plus, again according to that colleague, the user interface
    is far from intuitive. And, the colleague is a lifelong
    DOS/Windows user, and is not and never has been anywhere near Linux.
    So, the comments are genuine concerned user's comments.
     
    Judges 13:18, Sep 13, 2006
    #7
  8. thingy

    Earl Grey Guest

    Brett Roberts wrote:
    > "Fred Dagg" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:16:17 +1200, thingy
    >> <> exclaimed:
    >>
    >>>> · Vista's new look and feel is beginning to solidify, and the
    >>>> last-minute features have gotten smaller, though no less intriguing.
    >>>>
    >>>
    >>> The comments I saw suggested it still needs work and was not good enough
    >>> for RC1....at best Beta....

    >>
    >> There's always going to be people putting out opinion pieces on both
    >> sides of the argument, but those comments are definately in the
    >> minority. I would take a look at the agenda anyone making those sorts
    >> of comments has.
    >>
    >> Having played with it myself now, I can confirm that it is VERY nice.
    >> Definately smooth and stable, with the only issue being drivers for a
    >> couple of minor things, which I sorted out after a few minutes anyway.
    >>
    >> From my own experience, it is definately of RC quality.

    >
    > I may be slightly biased but I have to agree with Fred on this one.
    > Windows Vista RC1 is a huge improvement on the 3 or 4 betas I've
    > trialled so far especially with regard to performance and reliability.
    > I'm running Vista Ultimate on a Toshiba Tecra M4 and it's as fast as
    > Windows XP Pro was on the same machine and it's been rock solid since I
    > installed it a week or so back.
    >
    > Brett Roberts
    > Microsoft NZ


    Me toooooooooooo
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astroturfing
     
    Earl Grey, Sep 13, 2006
    #8
  9. thingy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 17:48:31 +1200, "Judges 13:18"
    <> exclaimed:

    >thingy wrote:
    >>>
    >>> · Vista's new look and feel is beginning to solidify, and the
    >>> last-minute features have gotten smaller, though no less intriguing.
    >>>

    >>
    >> The comments I saw suggested it still needs work and was not good enough
    >> for RC1....at best Beta....
    >>

    >
    >A colleague from work has given it a go and thinks the same.
    >The installation is not very straightforward, according to him,
    >nor without need for quite a bit of expertise. Certain things
    >that used to be possible (motherboard servicing??) with XP,
    >are now not possible, and certain drivers had to be hunted
    >down. Plus, again according to that colleague, the user interface
    >is far from intuitive. And, the colleague is a lifelong
    >DOS/Windows user, and is not and never has been anywhere near Linux.
    >So, the comments are genuine concerned user's comments.
    >

    When did he say all this, though?

    It's quite possible he was using one of the Betas.
     
    Fred Dagg, Sep 13, 2006
    #9
  10. thingy

    MaHogany Guest

    On Tue, 12 Sep 2006 19:02:15 -0700, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > · Early feedback from testers already using Windows Vista
    > Release Candidate 1 report that the OS is more stable than expected,



    All that means is that they expected it to be a total dog, whereas it's
    only somewhat a dog.


    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."
     
    MaHogany, Sep 13, 2006
    #10
  11. thingy

    MaHogany Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:20:58 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > It's quite possible he was using one of the Betas.


    "RC1" *IS* a beta release.


    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."
     
    MaHogany, Sep 13, 2006
    #11
  12. In message <>, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 15:16:17 +1200, thingy
    > <> exclaimed:
    >
    >>The comments I saw suggested it still needs work and was not good enough
    >>for RC1....at best Beta....

    >
    > There's always going to be people putting out opinion pieces on both
    > sides of the argument, but those comments are definately in the
    > minority.


    Well, here's another one
    <http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/9/8/5235>:

    When Microsoft released Windows XP RC1, it was met with mostly positive
    reviews. At the same time, the company confidently announced that
    Windows XP's final release would be 115 days later. The atmosphere
    surrounding Windows Vista RC1 is not the same.

    And another one <http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34268>:

    Vista's still a mess. It's meant to be at release candidate stage, yet
    vendors are struggling to provide sufficient driver support, features
    are still missing or not yet complete, and its performance compared to
    XP is still poor.

    And don't forget long-time Microsoft booster Paul Thurrott's
    less-than-enthusiastic comments.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 13, 2006
    #12
  13. thingy

    MaHogany Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 16:43:52 +1200, Brett Roberts wrote:

    > I'm running Vista
    > Ultimate on a Toshiba Tecra M4 and it's as fast as Windows XP Pro was on the
    > same machine and it's been rock solid since I installed it a week or so
    > back.


    One would expect that a "release candidate" would indeed be rock solid, as
    a release candidate is (or at least is_supposed_ to be) potentially THE
    version of the software that will be released as the "1.0" release.

    Vi$ta still cannot run quickly without a USB memory stick shoved in.

    Almost all reports are that it runs like a dog on all but the most recent
    of hardware.

    Of *course* we would expect all M$ employees who have a PR aspect to their
    jobs to be raving about M$ Vi$ta.

    Personally I think that Alice (as in Dilbert's collegue) has a accurate
    estimation of sales/marketing shills.


    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."
     
    MaHogany, Sep 13, 2006
    #13
  14. thingy

    Earl Grey Guest

    Earl Grey, Sep 13, 2006
    #14
  15. thingy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:09:51 +1200, MaHogany <>
    exclaimed:

    >On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:20:58 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:
    >
    >> It's quite possible he was using one of the Betas.

    >
    >"RC1" *IS* a beta release.


    Maybe in the Linux world, but in the real world, it's the stage
    *after* Beta.
     
    Fred Dagg, Sep 13, 2006
    #15
  16. In message <>, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:09:51 +1200, MaHogany <>
    > exclaimed:
    >
    >>On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 18:20:58 +1200, Fred Dagg wrote:
    >>
    >>> It's quite possible he was using one of the Betas.

    >>
    >>"RC1" *IS* a beta release.

    >
    > Maybe in the Linux world, but in the real world, it's the stage
    > *after* Beta.


    General agreement among reviewers is that Vista RC1 is still only of beta
    quality, e.g.
    <http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2006/9/8/5235>:

    When Microsoft released Windows XP RC1, it was met with mostly positive
    reviews. At the same time, the company confidently announced that
    Windows XP's final release would be 115 days later. The atmosphere
    surrounding Windows Vista RC1 is not the same.

    And another one <http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=34268>:

    Vista's still a mess. It's meant to be at release candidate stage, yet
    vendors are struggling to provide sufficient driver support, features
    are still missing or not yet complete, and its performance compared to
    XP is still poor.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 13, 2006
    #16
  17. thingy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:05:30 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >>>> It's quite possible he was using one of the Betas.
    >>>
    >>>"RC1" *IS* a beta release.

    >>
    >> Maybe in the Linux world, but in the real world, it's the stage
    >> *after* Beta.

    >
    >General agreement among reviewers is that Vista RC1 is still only of beta
    >quality


    That's absolute garbage. Maybe a small selection of reviewers (most
    likely with an agenda) are saying that, but the bulk are definately
    giving it top marks.

    Don't let your prejudices show so obviously - it makes you look ugly.
     
    Fred Dagg, Sep 13, 2006
    #17
  18. In message <>, Fred Dagg wrote:

    > On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:05:30 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> exclaimed:
    >
    >>>>> It's quite possible he was using one of the Betas.
    >>>>
    >>>>"RC1" *IS* a beta release.
    >>>
    >>> Maybe in the Linux world, but in the real world, it's the stage
    >>> *after* Beta.

    >>
    >>General agreement among reviewers is that Vista RC1 is still only of beta
    >>quality

    >
    > That's absolute garbage. Maybe a small selection of reviewers (most
    > likely with an agenda) are saying that, but the bulk are definately
    > giving it top marks.
    >
    > Don't let your prejudices show so obviously - it makes you look ugly.


    Some people are really in complete denial over this. Perhaps you'll pay some
    attention to long-time Microsoft booster Paul Thurrott, who has had this to
    say <http://winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_rc1_03.asp>:

    So here's the deal. Microsoft plans to finalize Windows Vista's code by
    October 25 and ship a volume licensed version of the product (Windows
    Vista Enterprise) to its business customers by the end of November. It
    then plans to ship the other Vista product versions with both new PCs
    and in retail stores by the end of January 2007. The only way Microsoft
    can meet all of these deadlines is to fudge things a bit. My guess--and,
    yes, it's only a guess--is that Microsoft will do just that, and add a
    large number of device drivers, software compatibility shivs, and, yes,
    even major code updates to Windows Vista between its October RTM
    (release to manufacturing) date and the end of January 2007. I further
    guess that the company will ship these updates in the form of critical
    fixes and other updates that users can download from Microsoft Update.
    This is the software equivalent of pulling a plane away from the gate at
    an airport and then claiming an on-time departure: It feels deceptive,
    but it gets the job done. And let's face it, Microsoft isn't exactly
    known for subtlety or elegance, right?
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 13, 2006
    #18
  19. thingy

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:20:47 +1200, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> exclaimed:

    >> That's absolute garbage. Maybe a small selection of reviewers (most
    >> likely with an agenda) are saying that, but the bulk are definately
    >> giving it top marks.
    >>
    >> Don't let your prejudices show so obviously - it makes you look ugly.

    >
    >Some people are really in complete denial over this. Perhaps you'll pay some
    >attention to long-time Microsoft booster Paul Thurrott, who has had this to
    >say <http://winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_rc1_03.asp>:


    And this has what to do with Vista RC1 being stable and efficient,
    exactly?
     
    Fred Dagg, Sep 13, 2006
    #19
  20. T'was the Wed, 13 Sep 2006 20:17:54 +1200 when I remembered Lawrence
    D'Oliveiro <_zealand> saying something like
    this:

    >And don't forget long-time Microsoft booster Paul Thurrott's
    >less-than-enthusiastic comments.


    "Windows Vista RC1 is a huge improvement over previous Vista versions,
    and compatibility plays a big part in that success. This is now one
    less thing to worry about when migrating to the next Windows."

    From http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_rc1_02.asp
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.
     
    Waylon Kenning, Sep 13, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Travis

    windows vista rc1 anti-virus

    Travis, Sep 30, 2006, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    439
    - Bobb -
    Oct 1, 2006
  2. Replies:
    1
    Views:
    425
    Evan Platt
    Aug 31, 2006
  3. ross

    Vista RC1

    ross, Sep 12, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    643
  4. Problem installing Vista RC1....

    , Sep 15, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    9
    Views:
    539
  5. Larry Hodges

    Non-Vista print drivers in Vista 64 RC1?

    Larry Hodges, Oct 24, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    799
    Aaron Kelley
    Oct 30, 2006
Loading...

Share This Page