Comments on this Motherboard.

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nick, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. Nick

    Nick Guest

    I am currently in upgrade mode (managed to hold off for almost 2 years,
    sitting on a slow 733 p3)

    The main concern has shifted from cpu to Main board...

    does anyone have reccomendations....

    the current contender is the soltek SL-75FRN2-RL

    I have read some good reviews on it. I am going to shove a Barton 2500+ into
    it and slap 512 400mhz DDR ram. Possibility of overclocking here ( reviews
    had the chip running stable at 200 fsb)..

    so, anythoughts ?

    ---

    Nick, Oct 14, 2003

  2. Nick

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:15:47 +1300, "Nick" <> wrote:

    >I am currently in upgrade mode (managed to hold off for almost 2 years,
    >sitting on a slow 733 p3)
    >
    >The main concern has shifted from cpu to Main board...
    >
    >does anyone have reccomendations....
    >
    >the current contender is the soltek SL-75FRN2-RL
    >
    >I have read some good reviews on it. I am going to shove a Barton 2500+ into
    >it and slap 512 400mhz DDR ram. Possibility of overclocking here ( reviews
    >had the chip running stable at 200 fsb)..
    >
    >so, anythoughts ?

    Be very careful not all Nforce 2 cards use the Top rated Nvidia Audio option
    NVIDIA SoundStorm and add a crappy Audio chip..

    http://3dsoundsurge.com/reviews/nForce/

    I have read that they intend to make there own sound cards with this
    chipset..

    Paul Mathews, Oct 14, 2003

  3. Nick

    Paul Mathews Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:15:47 +1300, "Nick" <> wrote:

    >I am currently in upgrade mode (managed to hold off for almost 2 years,
    >sitting on a slow 733 p3)
    >
    >The main concern has shifted from cpu to Main board...
    >
    >does anyone have reccomendations....
    >
    >the current contender is the soltek SL-75FRN2-RL
    >
    >I have read some good reviews on it. I am going to shove a Barton 2500+ into
    >it and slap 512 400mhz DDR ram. Possibility of overclocking here ( reviews
    >had the chip running stable at 200 fsb)..
    >
    >so, anythoughts ?
    >

    >---

    Have a read on this about sound option chipsets..

    http://www.tomshardware.com/game/20030405/index.html

    Only 2 were great and one was the Nvidia one..

    Paul Mathews, Oct 14, 2003
  4. Nick

    Andrew Guest

    That board is nice and quick, wicked overclocker and nice n stable, Runs the
    XP 2500 like a dream - 230 Fsb With good ram of course

    and as mr woger said, it doesnt have the soundstorm audio, But one should
    always have a decent sound card anyway instead of relying on onboard!

    Andrew, Oct 14, 2003
  5. Nick

    max barwell Guest

    On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:15:47 +1300, Nick wrote:

    > I am currently in upgrade mode (managed to hold off for almost 2 years,
    > sitting on a slow 733 p3)
    >
    > The main concern has shifted from cpu to Main board...
    >
    > does anyone have reccomendations....
    >
    > the current contender is the soltek SL-75FRN2-RL
    >
    > I have read some good reviews on it. I am going to shove a Barton 2500+ into
    > it and slap 512 400mhz DDR ram. Possibility of overclocking here ( reviews
    > had the chip running stable at 200 fsb)..
    >
    > so, anythoughts ?

    I have the 75mrnl, if thats anything to go by should be primo, i also run
    the amd 2500+ barton, can oc to a 3200 no probs

    max

    max barwell, Oct 14, 2003
  6. Nick

    Nick Guest

    "max barwell" <maxb@paradise(nospam).net.nz> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 19:15:47 +1300, Nick wrote:
    >
    > > I am currently in upgrade mode (managed to hold off for almost 2 years,
    > > sitting on a slow 733 p3)
    > >
    > > The main concern has shifted from cpu to Main board...
    > >
    > > does anyone have reccomendations....
    > >
    > > the current contender is the soltek SL-75FRN2-RL
    > >
    > > I have read some good reviews on it. I am going to shove a Barton 2500+

    into
    > > it and slap 512 400mhz DDR ram. Possibility of overclocking here (

    reviews
    > > had the chip running stable at 200 fsb)..
    > >
    > > so, anythoughts ?
    > >

    > I have the 75mrnl, if thats anything to go by should be primo, i also run
    > the amd 2500+ barton, can oc to a 3200 no probs
    >
    > max

    Thanks for all your replies..

    im not sure im too concerned with audio, I have a soundblaster live value, I
    suppose it does the trick for now, I dont think I would make use of the
    onboard unless my sound card craps out....

    Im getting PQI 400mhz Ram, not sure how good that brand is, its not corsair
    or Geil so I suspect it wont be an overclock monster.. but its 400 rated so
    surely if the chip is put to 200fsb then it should handle it provided the
    chip can handle it?

    so for those ffellas who have overclocked it to 3200+ what else was going on
    in the case i.e cooling methods ?
    Peltier or Stock HSF ?

    thanks again for replies.... keep advice coming. I need to make a decision
    :)

    ---

    Nick, Oct 14, 2003
  7. Nick

    Andrew Guest

    I would suggest Twinmos ram with Winbond chipset, It may be slightly more,
    But definatly worth it, Winbond chips are so much more compatible with
    Nforce 2 its not funny.

    The Stock HSF on the Barton 2500+ is not actually that bad, Previous HSF's
    from amd have been average, most noisy, The new releases are really quite
    good, However, If your wanting to get 200FSB, i would suggest an aftermarket
    HSF, Say Thermaltake Volcano 10 or 11+

    If you really want some nice cooling, Go for the Vantec Areoflow - They are
    very very tidy coolers, Quiet and effective

    Andrew, Oct 14, 2003
  8. Nick

    Acid Guest

    Very good mobo, very stable and fast.