    of it.
    Thanks
    Peter

    Peter Watts, Jan 20, 2005

  2. Peter Watts

    Mike Mc Guest

    "Peter Watts" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi,
    > I have spent the last year shooting The London map
    > (<http://www.the-london-map.co.uk). It has over 100 panoramic shots of
    > London, England, linked to an interactive map. I would appreciate
    > comments / suggestions on where to go from here, or what people think
    > of it.
    > Thanks
    > Peter

    Impressive bit of work, great fun exploring the various places.

    Mike

    Mike Mc, Jan 20, 2005

  3. Peter Watts

    Owamanga Guest

    On 19 Jan 2005 16:16:47 -0800, (Peter
    Watts) wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have spent the last year shooting The London map
    >(<http://www.the-london-map.co.uk). It has over 100 panoramic shots of
    >London, England, linked to an interactive map. I would appreciate
    >comments / suggestions on where to go from here, or what people think
    >of it.

    Superb, well done, great idea. I love the little direction arm on the
    map that moves when you rotate the panorama.

    It's been a few years since I last visited London, and even then I was
    only out & about at night. I have a question: Hungerford bridge is a
    foot bridge right? Looking at the North bank from there, I can see
    Charring Cross Station. But where is the Charring Cross Railway
    Bridge? - is it underneath me?

    Anyway, suggestions for improvement:

    More locations: Visit each campus of the various London Universities,
    many have attractive courtyards. How about some inside-pub shots?

    Time of day: Re-visit each location and do a night/dusk version. (You
    might not be able to access some of the parks, but the rest would be
    cool), then give the user some method of switching times.

    Enlarge panorama files. They are a little small and need to be the
    highest quality jpeg setting because of the way people peer at the
    details in this type of image.

    Still, it's a great site.

    --
    Owamanga!

    Owamanga, Jan 20, 2005
  4. Peter Watts

    Pete Fenelon Guest

    Peter Watts <> wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I have spent the last year shooting The London map
    > (<http://www.the-london-map.co.uk). It has over 100 panoramic shots of
    > London, England, linked to an interactive map. I would appreciate
    > comments / suggestions on where to go from here, or what people think
    > of it.
    > Thanks
    > Peter

    Nice pics and a well-implemented site. Very enjoyable. Little slow even
    on 1Mbit broadband, mind...

    pete
    --
    "there's no room for enigmas in built-up areas"

    Pete Fenelon, Jan 20, 2005
  5. Peter Watts

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <>,
    Owamanga <> wrote:

    >It's been a few years since I last visited London, and even then I was
    >only out & about at night. I have a question: Hungerford bridge is a
    >foot bridge right? Looking at the North bank from there, I can see
    >Charring Cross Station. But where is the Charring Cross Railway
    >Bridge? - is it underneath me?

    There are two Hungerford foot bridges. They run either side of Charring
    Cross Bridge, on the same level, like this:

    ------------- H B ----------------
    -----------------------|
    ================================== Charring |
    =============C X B================ Cross |
    ================================== Station |
    -----------------------|
    ------------- H B ----------------

    If you are on the downstream Hungerford Bridge, with your back to Charring
    Cross Bridge, you are looking towards The City, with St Pauls Cathedral
    being one of your most prominent landmarks. If you are on the upstream
    Hungerford Bridge, with your back to Charring Cross Bridge, you are looking
    towards the Palace of Westminster (Parliament), and the London Eye.

    Chris Brown, Jan 20, 2005
  6. Peter Watts

    Ron Guest

    Re: Comments on The London Map please - digital panoramic photographysite

    Terrific site. As a frequent visitor to London from the USA it was
    enormous fun to see that you caughts several of my favorite places.
    Maybe one thing you could do at some point is focus a bit more on the
    tube system and railway stations....what's near main stations, or even a
    few shots of the big public areas in stations...good orientation for the
    traveler. . In some cases you've done that, but once one gets thinking....

    Cheers,

    /ron

    Ron, Jan 20, 2005
  7. Peter Watts

    Frank ess Guest

    Mike Mc wrote:
    > "Peter Watts" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I have spent the last year shooting The London map
    >> (<http://www.the-london-map.co.uk). It has over 100 panoramic shots
    >> of London, England, linked to an interactive map. I would appreciate
    >> comments / suggestions on where to go from here, or what people think
    >> of it.
    >> Thanks
    >> Peter

    > Impressive bit of work, great fun exploring the various places.
    >
    > Mike

    My daughter and granddaughter just returned from London. Too bad they
    didn't know about this beforehand. Marvelous experience on its own.

    --
    Frank ess

    Frank ess, Jan 20, 2005
  8. Peter Watts

    MB Guest

    Great idea, tons of work. Thanks so much! Really a lot of fun to look at.
    The suggestions that a poster made for how to improve-- really! When I was
    in school, we'd tell those who were always making suggestions and didn't
    want to do any of the work-- get out there and do it yourself.

    MB, Jan 21, 2005
  9. Peter Watts

    Owamanga Guest

    On Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:43:27 +0100, "MB" <>
    wrote:

    >Great idea, tons of work. Thanks so much! Really a lot of fun to look at.

    >The suggestions that a poster made for how to improve-- really! When I was
    >in school, we'd tell those who were always making suggestions and didn't
    >want to do any of the work-- get out there and do it yourself.

    And when I was at school, if someone *asked* for suggestions and then
    had a problem receiving them, they'd get a kick in the teeth.

    Read the OP, he clearly says "I would appreciate comments /
    suggestions on where to go from here"

    What part of that don't you understand?

    --
    Owamanga!

    Owamanga, Jan 21, 2005
  10. Peter Watts

    Keith Guest

    Peter Watts <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    > I have spent the last year shooting The London map
    > (<http://www.the-london-map.co.uk). It has over 100 panoramic shots of
    > London, England, linked to an interactive map. I would appreciate
    > comments / suggestions on where to go from here, or what people think
    > of it.
    > Thanks
    > Peter

    Great idea, one small point - using a Java player means you don't get
    the perspective correction if you'd used QuickTime, you get a more
    'imersive' experience, so to speak. You could then most probably create
    larger images. For full screen panoramams have a look at:

    http://www.panoramas.dk/

    For a similar theme, possibly slightly slicker:

    http://home.vrway.com

    Keith, Jan 21, 2005
  11. Peter Watts

    juc Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 12:31:32 GMT, "Mike Mc"
    <> wrote:

    >"Peter Watts" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >> I have spent the last year shooting The London map
    >> (<http://www.the-london-map.co.uk). It has over 100 panoramic shots of
    >> London, England, linked to an interactive map. I would appreciate
    >> comments / suggestions on where to go from here, or what people think
    >> of it.
    >> Thanks
    >> Peter

    Very nice. I'd second the comment about more locations. Also, how
    about a short sound file that plays while you're at a particular
    location? Wind through the trees and people playing in the parks,
    cars on the streets, etc. Give it more of a 'You're There' feel.

    Peter

    juc, Jan 22, 2005