    the SPA-841. Suggestions of other good VoIP phones welcome too.

    --
    Andrew Gabriel
    Andrew Gabriel, Dec 10, 2005

  2. Andrew Gabriel

    alexd Guest

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:

    > Just wondering if anyone has any comments on the Sipura SPA-841 phone?
    > I have a number of SPA-3000 ATA's which I find very good, but now have
    > a case where a VoIP phone would be preferable, and I'm thinking about
    > the SPA-841. Suggestions of other good VoIP phones welcome too.

    I've got one. I like the build quality, but the sound quality is apalling.
    You can probably spend your money better elsewhere [SPA-941 perhaps?].
    Avoid unless it's very cheap [ <£50].

    --
    <http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) ()
    20:30:40 up 6 days, 7:05, 1 user, load average: 0.09, 0.09, 0.08
    alexd, Dec 14, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    alexd <> writes:
    > Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    >
    >> Just wondering if anyone has any comments on the Sipura SPA-841 phone?
    >> I have a number of SPA-3000 ATA's which I find very good, but now have
    >> a case where a VoIP phone would be preferable, and I'm thinking about
    >> the SPA-841. Suggestions of other good VoIP phones welcome too.

    > I've got one. I like the build quality, but the sound quality is apalling.
    > You can probably spend your money better elsewhere [SPA-941 perhaps?].
    > Avoid unless it's very cheap [ <£50].

    Thanks for the heads-up. Wasn't expecting that sort of problem
    as the sound quality of the SPA-3000's is excellent. Could you
    perhaps be using a low bitrate codec?

    Regards the SPA-941, I saw it mentioned, but couldn't see what
    changes/enhancements it is supposed to have over the 841.

    So, any other suggestions for a SIP/STUN VoIP real phone?

    --
    Andrew Gabriel
    Andrew Gabriel, Dec 15, 2005
  4. Andrew Gabriel

    ale.cx Guest

    Andrew Gabriel wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > alexd <> writes:

    > Thanks for the heads-up. Wasn't expecting that sort of problem
    > as the sound quality of the SPA-3000's is excellent. Could you
    > perhaps be using a low bitrate codec?

    It's not the codec. The problem I get is that the amplitude of the
    received and transmitted audio rapidly goes up and down, so first you
    strain to hear the caller, and then you're deafened. I'm sure it's
    something that could be fixed in firmware, but I'm using the latest
    firmware from Sipura. To be honest, it's a bit of a show-stopper as far
    as a phone goes, so god knows why Sipura haven't got off their arses
    and fixed it yet.

    > Regards the SPA-941, I saw it mentioned, but couldn't see what
    > changes/enhancements it is supposed to have over the 841.

    There's loads of reviews of it on the internet. Apparently the web
    admin interface to it is the same as the SPA3000, if that floats your
    boat :)

    alexd
    ale.cx, Dec 15, 2005
  5. Andrew Gabriel

    Tim Bray Guest

    ale.cx wrote:

    > There's loads of reviews of it on the internet. Apparently the web
    > admin interface to it is the same as the SPA3000, if that floats your
    > boat :)

    The web interface is very similar to all the Sipura adaptors, including
    the SPA-3000.

    The phone plastic seems a lot better than the 841. It looks very much
    like a cisco 7960 - it is actually a lot smaller than the Cisco.

    See:
    http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura_linksys_spa941.html

    The only problem with the 941 at the moment is a shortage of
    availability in europe. Hopefully this will be sorted after christmas.

    Tim
    Tim Bray, Dec 24, 2005