    --
    DO NOT reply to - it is simply a spam catch.
    You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"

    R-Slicks, May 5, 2004

  2. R-Slicks

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:23:46 +1200, R-Slicks <>
    wrote:

    >How much would you guys expect to pay for an Asus L8400 laptop,
    >Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 40Gb hard disk, cdrom, no OS ?
    >I can buy one through work, they'll give me a ridiculously high price
    >and I want to go in with a counter offer. I know for a fact that this
    >laptop hasn't been used in around 9 months 'cos its been in the back
    >of my car !
    >Cheers,

    What speed?

    Gavin Tunney, May 5, 2004

  3. R-Slicks

    R-Slicks Guest

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:34:50 +1200, Gavin Tunney <>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:23:46 +1200, R-Slicks <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>How much would you guys expect to pay for an Asus L8400 laptop,
    >>Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 40Gb hard disk, cdrom, no OS ?
    >>I can buy one through work, they'll give me a ridiculously high price
    >>and I want to go in with a counter offer. I know for a fact that this
    >>laptop hasn't been used in around 9 months 'cos its been in the back
    >>of my car !
    >>Cheers,

    >What speed?

    Oh yeah ! 500MHz :)

    R-Slicks, May 5, 2004
  4. R-Slicks

    JJD Guest

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:43:10 +1200, R-Slicks <>
    wrote:

    >>>How much would you guys expect to pay for an Asus L8400 laptop,
    >>>Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 40Gb hard disk, cdrom, no OS ?
    >>>I can buy one through work, they'll give me a ridiculously high price
    >>>and I want to go in with a counter offer. I know for a fact that this
    >>>laptop hasn't been used in around 9 months 'cos its been in the back
    >>>of my car !
    >>>Cheers,

    >>What speed?

    >Oh yeah ! 500MHz :)

    The going price on TradeMe seems to be about $1/MHz, or a little less,
    but when you get down to this level (500Mhz) you need the battery to
    be good and to have it come with an OS license, or these two will add
    up to more than the value of the laptop, if you have to buy them.

    JJD

    JJD, May 5, 2004
  5. R-Slicks

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    wrote:

    >On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:34:50 +1200, Gavin Tunney <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:23:46 +1200, R-Slicks <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>How much would you guys expect to pay for an Asus L8400 laptop,
    >>>Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 40Gb hard disk, cdrom, no OS ?
    >>>I can buy one through work, they'll give me a ridiculously high price
    >>>and I want to go in with a counter offer. I know for a fact that this
    >>>laptop hasn't been used in around 9 months 'cos its been in the back
    >>>of my car !
    >>>Cheers,

    >>What speed?

    >Oh yeah ! 500MHz :)

    I'd agree with around $450-500, that's just a bit less than what the
    similar brand names like Compaq, Dell & IBM fetch at auctions in Auck.
    In my view a lot depends on state of the battery and what the screen
    contrast & brightness is like, but that doesn't seem to matter with
    most punters who buy laptops.... they still pay the same price.
    $300-350 would be good, any more than $550 would be too much IMO.

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, May 5, 2004
  6. R-Slicks

    Dumbkiwi Guest

    On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:43:10 +1200, R-Slicks wrote:

    > On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:34:50 +1200, Gavin Tunney <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:23:46 +1200, R-Slicks <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>How much would you guys expect to pay for an Asus L8400 laptop,
    >>>Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 40Gb hard disk, cdrom, no OS ?
    >>>I can buy one through work, they'll give me a ridiculously high price
    >>>and I want to go in with a counter offer. I know for a fact that this
    >>>laptop hasn't been used in around 9 months 'cos its been in the back
    >>>of my car !
    >>>Cheers,

    >>What speed?

    > Oh yeah ! 500MHz :)

    It'll be in their books at $0.00. So any more than that is a bonus. I'd
    say offer them $300. It'll be too much hassle for them to
    sell it to a third party.

    Matt

    --
    Regards Matt

    Dumbkiwi, May 5, 2004
  7. R-Slicks

    SNOman Guest

    JJD wrote:

    >>>What speed?

    >>Oh yeah ! 500MHz :)

    > The going price on TradeMe seems to be about $1/MHz, or a little less,
    > but when you get down to this level (500Mhz) you need the battery to
    > be good and to have it come with an OS license, or these two will add
    > up to more than the value of the laptop, if you have to buy them.
    >
    > JJD

    Sounds about right. You should hit them up for the OS as well as it
    would have been OEM and they are obliged to pass on the OS as it is
    licensed to that PC

    SNOman, May 6, 2004
  8. R-Slicks

    R-Slicks Guest

    wrote:

    >How much would you guys expect to pay for an Asus L8400 laptop,
    >Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 40Gb hard disk, cdrom, no OS ?
    >I can buy one through work, they'll give me a ridiculously high price
    >and I want to go in with a counter offer. I know for a fact that this
    >laptop hasn't been used in around 9 months 'cos its been in the back
    >of my car !
    >Cheers,

    Cool, thanks guys. I know for a fact that the original OS and recovery
    disks have been long lost. In fact, the sticker that usually has the
    Win2k or WinXP code on it is also missing (I don't ever remember
    seeing it). The battery is still good and so is the screen. Of course,
    they always try to ask for stupid prices so I'll take your advice on
    board, gather some additional info from Trade Me and make them a
    pre-emptive offer.

    I think I'll use the 'round about $500 on Trade Me' argument along
    with the qualifier that it doesn't have an OS, or carry bag, or
    network card (which I will need), etc, etc, offer them, say, $350, and
    see how I get on. Of course, I don't much care if there is an OS or
    not, for myself, but without it'll be a bugger to move on later...

    I'll let you know how I get on :)

    Cheers,

    R-Slicks, May 6, 2004
  9. R-Slicks

    R-Slicks Guest

    wrote:

    >How much would you guys expect to pay for an Asus L8400 laptop,
    >Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 40Gb hard disk, cdrom, no OS ?
    >I can buy one through work, they'll give me a ridiculously high price
    >and I want to go in with a counter offer. I know for a fact that this
    >laptop hasn't been used in around 9 months 'cos its been in the back
    >of my car !
    >Cheers,

    They went for it. $300.
    Asus L8400, Pentium III 500MHz, 128Mb RAM, 40Gb hard disk, built-in
    cdrom, built-in floppy, 2x usb1.1 ports, 3com nic/modem combo card,
    port bar, carry bag, spare battery, 64Mb Asus thumb drive thingy, and
    they reckon they'll be able to dig out the original OS recovery disks
    too (Win2k)...
    Can't grumble at that one now can I ?
    It does mean I 'need' to buy a wireless NIC and access point though...

    R-Slicks, May 12, 2004
  10. R-Slicks

    Dave Taylor Guest

    R-Slicks <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:23:46 +1200, R-Slicks <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>How much would you guys expect to pay for an Asus L8400 laptop,
    >>Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 40Gb hard disk, cdrom, no OS ?
    >>I can buy one through work, they'll give me a ridiculously high price
    >>and I want to go in with a counter offer. I know for a fact that this
    >>laptop hasn't been used in around 9 months 'cos its been in the back
    >>of my car !
    >>Cheers,

    > They went for it. $300.
    > Asus L8400, Pentium III 500MHz, 128Mb RAM, 40Gb hard disk, built-in
    > cdrom, built-in floppy, 2x usb1.1 ports, 3com nic/modem combo card,
    > port bar, carry bag, spare battery, 64Mb Asus thumb drive thingy, and
    > they reckon they'll be able to dig out the original OS recovery disks
    > too (Win2k)...
    > Can't grumble at that one now can I ?
    > It does mean I 'need' to buy a wireless NIC and access point though...
    >
    > --
    > DO NOT reply to - it is simply a spam catch.
    > You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"

    Sounds like a good deal to me, as long as the battery works.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, May 12, 2004
  11. R-Slicks

    R-Slicks Guest

    On Wed, 12 May 2004 11:22:29 GMT, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >R-Slicks <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 05 May 2004 19:23:46 +1200, R-Slicks <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>How much would you guys expect to pay for an Asus L8400 laptop,
    >>>Pentium III, 128Mb RAM, 40Gb hard disk, cdrom, no OS ?
    >>>I can buy one through work, they'll give me a ridiculously high price
    >>>and I want to go in with a counter offer. I know for a fact that this
    >>>laptop hasn't been used in around 9 months 'cos its been in the back
    >>>of my car !
    >>>Cheers,

    >> They went for it. $300.
    >> Asus L8400, Pentium III 500MHz, 128Mb RAM, 40Gb hard disk, built-in
    >> cdrom, built-in floppy, 2x usb1.1 ports, 3com nic/modem combo card,
    >> port bar, carry bag, spare battery, 64Mb Asus thumb drive thingy, and
    >> they reckon they'll be able to dig out the original OS recovery disks
    >> too (Win2k)...
    >> Can't grumble at that one now can I ?
    >> It does mean I 'need' to buy a wireless NIC and access point though...
    >>
    >> --
    >> DO NOT reply to - it is simply a spam catch.
    >> You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"
    >>

    >Sounds like a good deal to me, as long as the battery works.
    >Ciao, Dave

    Battery is absoluetly fine ! So yep, I'm happy !

    R-Slicks, May 13, 2004
  12. R-Slicks

    ~misfit~ Guest

    R-Slicks wrote:
    > On Wed, 12 May 2004 11:22:29 GMT, Dave Taylor
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> R-Slicks <> wrote in

    >>> They went for it. $300.
    >>> Asus L8400, Pentium III 500MHz, 128Mb RAM, 40Gb hard disk, built-in
    >>> cdrom, built-in floppy, 2x usb1.1 ports, 3com nic/modem combo card,
    >>> port bar, carry bag, spare battery, 64Mb Asus thumb drive thingy,
    >>> and they reckon they'll be able to dig out the original OS recovery
    >>> disks too (Win2k)...
    >>> Can't grumble at that one now can I ?
    >>> It does mean I 'need' to buy a wireless NIC and access point
    >>> though...
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> DO NOT reply to - it is simply a spam catch.
    >>> You can, if you wish, try "news .at. preou .dot. com"
    >>>

    >> Sounds like a good deal to me, as long as the battery works.
    >> Ciao, Dave

    > Battery is absoluetly fine ! So yep, I'm happy !

    Cool. Good to see someone get a good deal. Have a great weekend.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, May 14, 2004