Comments invited...

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Malcolm, Sep 11, 2004.

  1. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi, folks.
    >
    > I've thrown up some new (for me) stuff onto my website.
    >
    > Please have a look and offer your feedback about what it looks like and
    > how it works. Of course you'll need to log in to see and to use parts of
    > it.
    >
    > It's based on myPHPnuke.
    >
    > dubdubdub dot electron incantation dot net dot enzed
    > (of course minus the spaces and with appropriate changes made :eek:)
    >

    > Divine

    Topics link comes up with a 404 error

    ==
    Cheers
    Malcolm

    Malcolm, Sep 11, 2004

  2. Malcolm

    Guest

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 11, 2004

  3. Malcolm

    Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 23:33:13 +1200, Malcolm wrote:

    > Topics link comes up with a 404 error

    Cool - thanks for pointing that out - I've now fixed that.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 11, 2004
  4. Malcolm

    Invisible Guest

    Horizontal scroll bar @ 1024x768

    Invisible, Sep 11, 2004
  5. Malcolm

    Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:22:20 +1200, Invisible wrote:

    > Horizontal scroll bar @ 1024x768

    Cool - thanks for pointing that out - It's been a while since I've used a
    screen res as low as that. ;o)

    I'll look into how to sort that out over the next day or so.

    How much movement is there in the scrollbar?

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 11, 2004
  6. Malcolm

    ~misfit~ Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:22:20 +1200, Invisible wrote:
    >
    >> Horizontal scroll bar @ 1024x768

    > Cool - thanks for pointing that out - It's been a while since I've
    > used a screen res as low as that. ;o)
    >
    > I'll look into how to sort that out over the next day or so.
    >
    > How much movement is there in the scrollbar?

    Most sites are designed for 1024x768 now as it is the most common resolution
    by far. Just happens to be what I use too, any higher on my 17" monitor and
    I'm squinting. The missus has an identical monitor and uses 800x600 as she
    has poor eyesight (well, she is with me). It's a pain for her surfing the
    web, most pages have scroll-bars now at 800x600.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Sep 11, 2004
  7. Malcolm

    Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 01:38:54 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Most sites are designed for 1024x768 now as it is the most common resolution
    > by far. Just happens to be what I use too, any higher on my 17" monitor and
    > I'm squinting. The missus has an identical monitor and uses 800x600 as she
    > has poor eyesight (well, she is with me). It's a pain for her surfing the
    > web, most pages have scroll-bars now at 800x600.

    There shouldn't be a horizontal scrollbar any more. :eek:)

    I tested it with IE this time, as well as with the usual Mozilla,
    Konqueror, etc.

    I had forgotten how badly fonts are rendered in lo-res Windows/IE. :eek:(

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 11, 2004
  8. Malcolm

    Invisible Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:36:48 +1200, ""
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:22:20 +1200, Invisible wrote:
    >
    >> Horizontal scroll bar @ 1024x768

    >Cool - thanks for pointing that out - It's been a while since I've used a
    >screen res as low as that. ;o)
    >
    >I'll look into how to sort that out over the next day or so.
    >
    >How much movement is there in the scrollbar?

    T'was just the search box that needed scrolling to get to.

    Invisible, Sep 11, 2004
  9. Malcolm

    steve Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi, folks.
    >
    > I've thrown up some new (for me) stuff onto my website.
    >
    > Please have a look and offer your feedback about what it looks like and
    > how it works. Of course you'll need to log in to see and to use parts of
    > it.
    >
    > It's based on myPHPnuke.
    >
    > dubdubdub dot electron incantation dot net dot enzed
    > (of course minus the spaces and with appropriate changes made :eek:)
    >

    > Divine

    I think it looks great. Very tidy, well laid out and easy to read.

    --
    "Terrorism is the war of the poor and war is the terrorism of the rich." -
    Peter Ustinov

    steve, Sep 11, 2004
  10. wrote:
    > It's based on myPHPnuke.

    there are a lot better opensource content engines out there.
    If you ever get slashdotted, expect the site to be killed under the
    strain(if using phpnuke), whereas some others are a lot better at
    handling bigger loads.

    other than that, yeah good.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 11, 2004
  11. steve wrote:
    > I think it looks great. Very tidy, well laid out and easy to read.

    I find it a tad too busy, but I like things plain.

    I also find it a pain to have to register to post to forums, but I
    understand why it is done.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 11, 2004
  12. Malcolm

    Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:38:19 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > I also find it a pain to have to register to post to forums, but I
    > understand why it is done.

    Yeah - to keep the Wogers and the Redbaiters of the world at bay. :eek:)

    I agree - simple is better than complex. I've tried to make it as simple
    and as tidy as I could get it without it appearing too "flat".

    It's amazing what one can download. :eek:)

    And in the process I've been learning more about PHP. :eek:)

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 12, 2004
  13. Malcolm

    Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:16:44 +1200, steve wrote:

    > I think it looks great. Very tidy, well laid out and easy to read.

    Cool. Thanks for that.

    I had removed a whole pile of stuff that I thought was just clutter at the
    top of the page, and because I wanted the pages to load faster.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 12, 2004
  14. Malcolm

    Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 10:31:26 +1200, Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > there are a lot better opensource content engines out there.
    > If you ever get slashdotted, expect the site to be killed under the
    > strain(if using phpnuke), whereas some others are a lot better at
    > handling bigger loads.
    >
    > other than that, yeah good.

    Cool!

    I'm not expecting it to get all that busy.

    I set my website up with it because I wanted to get my head around it
    before deploying it as an upgrade to a website that I look after.

    I'm reasonably pleased with how it's worked out so far. I've got a total
    of 4 themes in working order for my website. Registered users can choose
    their own theme. They cannot customise the themes (they can customise
    other stuff tho'), but they do have a choice.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 12, 2004
  15. Malcolm

    Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 09:48:42 +1200, Invisible wrote:

    >>How much movement is there in the scrollbar?

    > T'was just the search box that needed scrolling to get to.

    Cool. Fixed already.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 12, 2004
  16. Malcolm

    Richard Guest

    Richard, Sep 12, 2004
  17. Malcolm

    Bret Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 02:40:11 +1200, ""
    <> wrote:

    >There shouldn't be a horizontal scrollbar any more. :eek:)

    Still there at 1024x768 on Mozilla.

    Bret, Sep 12, 2004
  18. Malcolm

    Guest

    , Sep 12, 2004
  19. Malcolm

    Guest

    On Sun, 12 Sep 2004 12:49:30 +1200, Bret wrote:

    >>There shouldn't be a horizontal scrollbar any more. :eek:)

    > Still there at 1024x768 on Mozilla.

    Nah - that was a new one :eek:) caused by an overlong stretch of a URL, which
    has since been trimmed.

    I've noticed that complex urls need special treatment in these sorts of
    websites, otherwise they don't go through correctly to the browser.

    Divine

    --
    "Even the most fanatical Microsoft supporter has to see that Longhorn has
    become Shorthorn."

    , Sep 12, 2004
  20. Malcolm

    Nik Coughin Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Most sites are designed for 1024x768 now as it is the most common
    > resolution by far. Just happens to be what I use too, any higher on
    > my 17" monitor and I'm squinting. The missus has an identical monitor
    > and uses 800x600 as she has poor eyesight (well, she is with me).
    > It's a pain for her surfing the web, most pages have scroll-bars now
    > at 800x600.

    It's a pity really, because fluid (ie suitable for all resolutions) design
    is actually quite easy.

    Nik Coughin, Sep 12, 2004