Commands and Metrics! Help!

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by RBot, Feb 16, 2007.

  1. RBot

    RBot Guest

    I posted in regards to this before, and got all of the way to what I
    need to do to resolve my issue, but not how to actually do it.

    What I want to do:

    I am trying to find the best way to failover my internet connections.
    I have two networks that both have an internet connection (completely
    different ISPs for redundancy). At each location we have a Cisco 2801
    Router connected to the internet, and a Cisco 2601 connected to the
    frame. We currently do not use the internet connection at our second
    location (want to get it up and running as soon as we can), and the
    only way that location gets to the internet is over our T1 frame.

    My question was, how can I setup the Cisco 2801 as the primary route
    for our internet connection (as already setup at our first location)
    but failover to the Cisco 2600 on the frame if the internet goes down
    at either location? We currently use static routes, and wonder if
    setting up dynamic routing is the ONLY option. Also, if I have to use
    dynamic routes, is there a way to setup which path is the primary
    path, and which is the backup or failover?

    Here is a basic layout of our network:

    Cisco 2600---Network A
    | \
    | Cisco 2801
    | \
    Frame| Internet
    | /
    | Cisco 2801
    | /
    Cisco 2600---Network B

    The answer I received is as follows:

    What you can do would be to setup a backup default route w/ a lower
    metric that point out the frame (you would do this on both routers on
    the frame) so that should the internet connection go down, there would
    be a route that allows you to go out through the Frame {ie- ip route
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Serial0/0 (Frame) 200 (metric) }

    To have your network traffic go across the internet, you would
    essentially need to do the same thing as above (with a backup route),
    but would need to setup an IPSEC tunnel between the two routers "in
    the event of..."

    My new questions is:

    It was said that we should set up a backup default route with a lower
    metric that points out the frame. Is there a command for backup
    default ip routes? Would the 200 metric used in the previous example
    be the correct metric to use? I don't know if there is even a metric
    setup for the default route. I'm sorry for my lack of knowledge and
    experience. This is the first time I have actually implemented any
    configuration like this and just want it to work correctly.

    Thank you for your help. It is very appreciated!
    RBot, Feb 16, 2007