    solution?
    TIA
    ross

    ross, Jan 23, 2006

  2. ross

    Miggsee Guest

    "ross" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Friends computer (XPProSP2) cannot ping at command prompt.
    > After entering IP address etc and enter the command prompt reappears
    > as if nothing had been entered. Info is there as pressing right arrow
    > key recreates the original ping entry.
    > I've never seen it before, can anyone please explain and offer a
    > solution?
    > TIA
    > ross

    Is your friend running a firewall?

    Miggsee, Jan 23, 2006

  3. ross

    antwine Guest

    Welcome back, Miggsee!

    antwine, Jan 23, 2006
  4. On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 10:37:19 -0700, antwine wrote:

    > Welcome back, Miggsee!

    I didn't even notice! Same from me!

    Gary G. Taylor, Jan 23, 2006
  5. ross

    Miggsee Guest

    "antwine" <> wrote in message
    > Welcome back, Miggsee!

    :)

    Miggsee, Jan 24, 2006
  6. ross

    ross Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 07:27:28 -0500, "Miggsee" <>
    wrote:

    >"ross" <> wrote in message
    >> Friends computer (XPProSP2) cannot ping at command prompt.
    >> After entering IP address etc and enter the command prompt reappears
    >> as if nothing had been entered. Info is there as pressing right arrow
    >> key recreates the original ping entry.
    >> I've never seen it before, can anyone please explain and offer a
    >> solution?
    >> TIA
    >> ross

    >Is your friend running a firewall?

    Yes but ZA is turned off on both desktop and laptop which we are
    trying to network via crossover cable. Laptop times out but desktop
    can't even ping! Would SFC be heading in the right direction?
    ross

    ross, Jan 24, 2006
  7. ross

    Fred Tehbot Guest

    ross <>, drawled in
    <>:

    > Yes but ZA is turned off on both desktop and laptop which we are
    > trying to network via crossover cable.

    Could you please adjust your Clock/Time Zone settings?

    > Laptop times out but desktop can't even ping! Would SFC be heading in
    > the right direction? ross.

    I can't help you there.

    Fred Tehbot, Jan 24, 2006
  8. ross

    ross Guest

    On 23 Jan 2006 19:15:34 -1200, "Fred Tehbot"
    <> wrote:

    >ross <>, drawled in
    ><>:
    >
    >> Yes but ZA is turned off on both desktop and laptop which we are
    >> trying to network via crossover cable.

    >Could you please adjust your Clock/Time Zone settings?
    >
    >> Laptop times out but desktop can't even ping! Would SFC be heading in
    >> the right direction? ross.

    >I can't help you there.

    My clock is spot on. GMT +10 24 Jan- whats your beef
    ross

    ross, Jan 24, 2006
  9. ross

    Fred Tehbot Guest

    ross <>, balked in
    <>:

    > My clock is spot on.

    I wouldn't.

    > GMT +10 24 Jan- whats your beef ross.

    What are you, a phoney?

    Fred Tehbot, Jan 24, 2006
  10. ross

    Donald Guest

    Your friend may have not allowed ICMP in windows security firewall

    Donald, Jan 24, 2006
  11. ross

    Keme Guest

    ross wrote:
    > Friends computer (XPProSP2) cannot ping at command prompt.
    > After entering IP address etc and enter the command prompt reappears
    > as if nothing had been entered. Info is there as pressing right arrow
    > key recreates the original ping entry.
    > I've never seen it before, can anyone please explain and offer a
    > solution?
    > TIA
    > ross

    You type something like
    ping 192.168.1.1

    And no error message or anything?

    Strange. Could be your ping.exe or networking setup is faulty
    (virus/malware attacking the IP protocol drivers). May be a batch file.
    (If there's a batch file and a program with the same name, the batch
    file is run when typing the name on the command line.)

    - Search for "ping.bat" and "ping.exe"
    (the bat should not exist, only the exe)

    - Give the "exe" extension when attempting to ping:
    ping.exe <ip-address>

    Keme, Jan 25, 2006
  12. ross

    ross Guest

    On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 05:00:44 +0100, Keme <>
    wrote:

    >ross wrote:
    >> Friends computer (XPProSP2) cannot ping at command prompt.
    >> After entering IP address etc and enter the command prompt reappears
    >> as if nothing had been entered. Info is there as pressing right arrow
    >> key recreates the original ping entry.
    >> I've never seen it before, can anyone please explain and offer a
    >> solution?
    >> TIA
    >> ross

    >You type something like
    >ping 192.168.1.1
    >
    >And no error message or anything?
    >
    >Strange. Could be your ping.exe or networking setup is faulty
    >(virus/malware attacking the IP protocol drivers). May be a batch file.
    >(If there's a batch file and a program with the same name, the batch
    >file is run when typing the name on the command line.)
    >
    >- Search for "ping.bat" and "ping.exe"
    >(the bat should not exist, only the exe)
    >
    >- Give the "exe" extension when attempting to ping:
    >ping.exe <ip-address>

    thanks keme
    wont see him for a day or two so i'll do as you suggest.
    ross

    ross, Jan 25, 2006