    bonecrusher Guest

    Hi..I am trying to make a bootable CDrom for XP....I have followed
    directions and have everything in a folder and subfolders to be
    Burnt......This Folder is on my D: Drive and named BCD........My CDWriter is
    Drive E.........Below is the final paragraph of instruction......Can
    somebody please explain exactly in easy instruction what I do after entering
    Command Prompt please..cause I do not understand what I have to do...Thanks
    Ron NZ

    bonecrusher, Dec 2, 2004

  2. bonecrusher

    Jerry G. Guest

    This is an interesting question. Maybe what I gave you below, may give you
    some leads. If you figure this one out, I would also like to know the
    answer.

    Your CD burning software is supposed to have an option where when you are
    burning a CD disk, it should create this from your operating system. But, I
    think it will be of an MS-Dos boot. To boot NTSF, this is a secure format,
    and may only be bootable from the installed operating system.

    If your computer is formatted in FAT, you should be able to create a boot
    floppy very easily that will allow you to see the hard disk. There is no
    real security with FAT. Any standard boot CD will work for FAT as long as
    the version number is compatible. Even a Win98 boot floppy will allow an XP
    machine to be booted, if the format is in FAT. Your CD burning software
    should have the option to create a boot CD for you. It has to be properly
    done in the process. You cannot easily place files on to the disk. The BIOS
    start-up files have to be in the proper physical location on the disk. It is
    also important that the computer can do a CD boot in the first place. There
    are many older computers that cannot.

    Below are some sites that are very good to know about.

    XP CD Start-up Information:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...33-7773-4f59-bd90-63cacb89ac4e&DisplayLang=en

    http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Boot-Manager-Disk/Windows-XP-Home-Startup-Disk.shtml

    This site is very good for an explanation about making a boot floppy (this
    is a start):
    http://www.computerhope.com/boot.htm#71

    Very Important!
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];310994

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Dec 2, 2004

  3. bonecrusher wrote:
    > Hi..I am trying to make a bootable CDrom for XP....I have followed
    > directions and have everything in a folder and subfolders to be
    > Burnt......This Folder is on my D: Drive and named BCD........My CDWriter is
    > Drive E.........Below is the final paragraph of instruction......Can
    > somebody please explain exactly in easy instruction what I do after entering
    > Command Prompt please..cause I do not understand what I have to do...Thanks
    > Ron NZ
    >

    >>Open a command prompt, go to the d:\bcd folder and run:
    >>For Windows XP Professional: bcd wxppro.
    >>This will build the (bootable) ISO image and burn it to your recorder

    Apparently you have a program called BCD ( http://www.nu2.nu/bcd/ ) that
    will create the disk for you. Change directory to the bcd folder:

    d:
    cd \bcd

    Then to run the program, type:

    bcd wxppro