    come back with more info if you need it or if someone can help me.

    Thanks for any help
    Al

    a.p.mews, Nov 26, 2004

  2. a.p.mews

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "a.p.mews" <> wrote in message
    news:co8anm$opk$...
    | Hi
    | Got an old'ish pc that works reasonably but can't get it to load software
    | after a reformat. It keeps asking for the: C:\Command Interpreter if I
    | remember correctly.
    | Doesn't matter what I try it always comes back with that message. What
    the
    | heck does that mean please?
    |
    | The computer did work and worked very well but had to reformat because I
    | think it had a virus.
    | Trying to install Windows 98se onto a spare drive I have.
    |
    | I know its a bit vague but trying to get some idea if someone can help
    | before setting it up again or whether its totally cream crackered. Will
    | come back with more info if you need it or if someone can help me.
    |
    | Thanks for any help
    | Al

    Do you have Windows *on* the drive allready? If so, when you see that
    question, answer with c:\windows\command\command.com and press enter.

    Once you get to a DOS prompt, copy (*not* move) that file to c:\

    Toolman Tim, Nov 26, 2004

  3. a.p.mews

    Rob K Guest

    On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 22:29:10 +0000 (UTC), a.p.mews wrote:

    > Hi
    > Got an old'ish pc that works reasonably but can't get it to load software
    > after a reformat. It keeps asking for the: C:\Command Interpreter if I
    > remember correctly.
    > Doesn't matter what I try it always comes back with that message. What the
    > heck does that mean please?
    >
    > The computer did work and worked very well but had to reformat because I
    > think it had a virus.
    > Trying to install Windows 98se onto a spare drive I have.
    >
    > I know its a bit vague but trying to get some idea if someone can help
    > before setting it up again or whether its totally cream crackered. Will
    > come back with more info if you need it or if someone can help me.
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    > Al

    The command interpreter is exactly that : a program that 'understands'
    the commands given - and is able to execute them properly.

    In DOS/Windows 'command.com' is the command interpreter for DOS based
    stuff. Look here:

    http://command.com/
    Here you see how the 'dir' command is 'interpreted'.

    So, if your system complains about a missing command interpreter,
    something went wrong during installation: no DOS, no Windows.

    A Win 98SE 'Clean' installation should be pretty straightforward and
    take care of things like copying io.sys etc to your C: drive.

    What's with installing on the spare drive ?

    Rob K, Nov 26, 2004
  4. a.p.mews

    philo Guest

    "a.p.mews" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Got an old'ish pc that works reasonably but can't get it to load software
    > after a reformat. It keeps asking for the: C:\Command Interpreter if I
    > remember correctly.
    > Doesn't matter what I try it always comes back with that message. What
    > the
    > heck does that mean please?
    >
    > The computer did work and worked very well but had to reformat because I
    > think it had a virus.
    > Trying to install Windows 98se onto a spare drive I have.
    >
    > I know its a bit vague but trying to get some idea if someone can help
    > before setting it up again or whether its totally cream crackered. Will
    > come back with more info if you need it or if someone can help me.

    after you formatted your drive
    you need to install windows
    just set your bios to boot from your cdrom
    then put in your win98 cd and install

    philo, Nov 26, 2004
  5. a.p.mews

    Plato Guest

    a.p.mews wrote:

    > Got an old'ish pc that works reasonably but can't get it to load software
    > after a reformat. It keeps asking for the: C:\Command Interpreter if I

    Chances are all you have to do is boot with a bootdisk and then do a:

    sys c:

    Plato, Nov 27, 2004
  6. a.p.mews

    a.p.mews Guest

    > > Got an old'ish pc that works reasonably but can't get it to load

    software
    > > after a reformat. It keeps asking for the: C:\Command Interpreter if I
    > > remember correctly.
    > > Doesn't matter what I try it always comes back with that message. What

    the
    > > heck does that mean please?
    > >
    > > The computer did work and worked very well but had to reformat because I
    > > think it had a virus.
    > > Trying to install Windows 98se onto a spare drive I have.

    In answer to Rob's question 'what's with the spare drive'. I've got a couple
    of old hard drives that I feel sure work but wanted to make sure before I
    buy a new operating system for it.

    Many thanks for all your help guys
    Al

    a.p.mews, Nov 27, 2004