    to look for help desk work? Should I try to get at least SOME experience
    before I continue on up to an MCSE?

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    dogray77, Oct 25, 2006

  2. "dogray77" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I was wondering if anyone might be able to give me advice about landing

    that
    > first IT-related job. I just passed the 291 test and now possess the
    > following: Net+, 270, 290, 291. I have a Bachelor's Degree in English and

    no
    > relevant IT experience. The majority of the job postings I've looked at

    so
    > far typically mention an MCSA in ADDITION to 2+ years experience in

    customer
    > service. I have none. Nor have I received any replies from resume
    > submissions. Am I completely wasting my time? Should I go back and get

    an
    > A+ certificate and try to find work as a PC repair tech before I even

    bother
    > to look for help desk work? Should I try to get at least SOME experience
    > before I continue on up to an MCSE?
    >
    > Any advice would be appreciated.

    Yes, you should get experience WHILE you pursue the MCSE. Have you applied
    to basic tech support/phone support jobs? They should hire you if you have
    some basic certs AND knowledge. A+ might not hurt...

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Roberts, Oct 26, 2006

  3. dogray77

    dogray77 Guest

    Jonathan, Thanks for the reply. But do you think my chances are any better
    of getting one of these tech support / phone support jobs if I get the A+
    immediately in order to obtain the MCSA or if I continue on with the third
    course in the MCSE core requirements (293)? Which looks better on a resume?
    In retrospect I probably should have gotten the A+ before I started the Net+
    Any thoughts?

    dogray77, Oct 26, 2006
  4. "dogray77" <> wrote in message
    > Jonathan, Thanks for the reply. But do you think my chances are any

    better
    > of getting one of these tech support / phone support jobs if I get the A+
    > immediately in order to obtain the MCSA or if I continue on with the third
    > course in the MCSE core requirements (293)? Which looks better on a

    resume?
    > In retrospect I probably should have gotten the A+ before I started the

    Net+
    > Any thoughts?

    I would go for the A+ to land that first job. An MCSE won't really help
    until you have some experience to go with it, in my opinion.

    Jonathan Roberts, Oct 26, 2006
  5. dogray77

    Blackmetal Guest

    I agree with Jonathan,

    Even if you pass your exams but without experience, it will be really hard
    to get a top position, and don't feel bad about it, most of us, had to start
    somewhere at the IT food chain and then we've been scalating positions.

    With the Net+ and A+ you can get a good start up, and as you gain
    experience, you will be able to aspire for better positions, but go ahead,
    do what you have to do and don't discourage yourself.

    Blackmetal, Oct 27, 2006
  6. dogray77

    dogray77 Guest

    At this point, I've decided to hold off on the A+ until after the new year
    because apparently the test will be changed to meet the demands of newer
    hardware technologies to be used with Vista / Longhorn OS systems. I guess
    it's better to have the most recent exam, but I still wish I had STARTED with
    the A+. A friend of mine who has an A+ & N+ but fewer Microsoft exam certs
    than I do was just offered a good position with HP. ugh!

    dogray77, Nov 17, 2006