    it'll stick around.

    Rob.
    --
    Rob Davison, Jan 17, 2007

  2. Rob Davison

    Craig Guest

    Nice shot. I'm in so. Cal and I wish we had as good a tail as you see.
    I'm guessing You'll be seeing it for a couple of weeks or so visually
    longer through a telescope.
    --
    Remove My_Skin to E-mail me.

    Craig, Jan 18, 2007

  3. Rob Davison

    Matt Ion Guest

    Matt Ion, Jan 18, 2007
  4. Rob Davison

    Pete D Guest

    Pete D, Jan 18, 2007
  5. Rob Davison

    Guest

    Rob Davison wrote:
    > Southern New Zealand last night:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/mapleglen/image/73207025
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea how long it'll be visible in our skies?
    >
    > I've searched the web a bit but can't find any predictions on how long
    > it'll stick around.
    >

    > Rob.
    > --

    That's because no-one knows. It just depends on how much it
    'outgasses'...

    Nice shot, by the way! Beats mine by a country mile.

    As I posted on aus.photo:
    WoW!! It's *nice!* Had a rather hectic race up Mt Tamborine to catch
    it just above a cloudbank - sorry, no fancy backgrounds or careful
    composition, just slapped the S9000 on a tripod and banged off a few
    shots:

    www.marktphoto.com/DSCF0435.JPG

    and the wider view (comet (faint) to left, Venus to right)

    www.marktphoto.com/DSCF0430.JPG

    (Yes, the wind was blowing...)

    Well worth seeing - I definitely recommend finding a good vantage point
    if the next few nights are cloud free in that direction. Look to the
    SW, left of Venus, just after sunset, and you have an hour or so to
    watch before it drops too close to the horizon... Let's hope it
    doesn't fade too quickly.

    Might try to be a little more artistic tomorrow night, weather
    permitting.
    , Jan 18, 2007
  6. Rob Davison

    jmc Guest

    Suddenly, without warning, Rob Davison exclaimed (18-Jan-07 9:20 AM):

    > Southern New Zealand last night:
    >
    > http://www.pbase.com/mapleglen/image/73207025
    >
    > Does anyone have an idea how long it'll be visible in our skies?
    >
    > I've searched the web a bit but can't find any predictions on how long
    > it'll stick around.
    >

    > Rob.

    Wow, that's just great. Unfortunately, we've got a little bit too much
    rain here in Central Australia to see the comet, or anything in the sky
    at all except water :)

    jmc
    jmc, Jan 18, 2007
  7. Hi Rob,
    Lucky you - good pic.
    In Upper Hutt we have had mostly cloudy nights.

    This site has some predictions

    http://www.rasnz.org.nz/Comets/C2006P1

    Cheers,
    Allan

    Allan Sheppard, Jan 18, 2007
  8. Rob Davison

    Rob Davison Guest

    Allan Sheppard wrote:
    > Hi Rob,
    > Lucky you - good pic.
    > In Upper Hutt we have had mostly cloudy nights.
    >
    > This site has some predictions
    >
    > http://www.rasnz.org.nz/Comets/C2006P1

    Just what I was after. Thanks, and thanks for the other replies too.
    Looks like it'll be cloudy here for the next few days. :-(

    ATB,

    Rob.
    Rob Davison, Jan 18, 2007
  9. wrote:
    > Rob Davison wrote:
    >> Southern New Zealand last night:
    >>
    >> http://www.pbase.com/mapleglen/image/73207025
    >>
    >> Does anyone have an idea how long it'll be visible in our skies?
    >>
    >> I've searched the web a bit but can't find any predictions on how long
    >> it'll stick around.
    >>

    >> Rob.
    >> --

    > That's because no-one knows. It just depends on how much it
    > 'outgasses'...
    >
    > Nice shot, by the way! Beats mine by a country mile.
    >
    > As I posted on aus.photo:
    > WoW!! It's *nice!* Had a rather hectic race up Mt Tamborine to catch
    > it just above a cloudbank - sorry, no fancy backgrounds or careful
    > composition, just slapped the S9000 on a tripod and banged off a few
    > shots:
    >
    > www.marktphoto.com/DSCF0435.JPG
    >
    > and the wider view (comet (faint) to left, Venus to right)
    >
    > www.marktphoto.com/DSCF0430.JPG
    >
    > (Yes, the wind was blowing...)
    >
    > Well worth seeing - I definitely recommend finding a good vantage point
    > if the next few nights are cloud free in that direction. Look to the
    > SW, left of Venus, just after sunset, and you have an hour or so to
    > watch before it drops too close to the horizon... Let's hope it
    > doesn't fade too quickly.
    >
    > Might try to be a little more artistic tomorrow night, weather
    > permitting.

    lucky you - I got a telescope at christmas time, and haven't had a clear
    night sky since. wednesday night was moderately clear near sunset,
    except for a big cloud bank in the west :(
    Graham Fountain, Jan 18, 2007
  10. Rob Davison

    Craig Guest

    That is known as the Astronomer's Curse. Don't worry once the comet is
    gone it will clear up.....
    --
    Remove My_Skin to E-mail me.

    Craig, Jan 18, 2007
  11. Rob Davison

    Apteryx Guest

    "Allan Sheppard" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Rob,
    > Lucky you - good pic.
    > In Upper Hutt we have had mostly cloudy nights.
    >
    > This site has some predictions
    >
    > http://www.rasnz.org.nz/Comets/C2006P1

    It might not be high enough yet to see from Upper Hutt. I saw it last night
    from the lookout at Titahi Bay. Very cloudy, with the clouds building up,
    but just as I was thinking of going home, it appeared in a small gap in the
    clouds for about a minute. It looked much brighter than Venus, but I wasn't
    able to see the two together, and I had last seen Venus (in another gap in
    the clouds) about 20 minutes earlier when the sky had been lighter.

    --
    Apteryx
    Apteryx, Jan 19, 2007
  12. Rob Davison

    Guest

    jmc wrote:

    snip

    > Wow, that's just great. Unfortunately, we've got a little bit too much
    > rain here in Central Australia to see the comet, or anything in the sky
    > at all except water :)
    >
    > jmc

    Same way it was here in upstate New York, USA. Except we're in the
    dead middle of winter, so it's snow. At least a lot of folks with
    clear sky were able to get some great shots.
    , Jan 19, 2007