    concert, on trademe, are being sold by scalpers who have purchased as many
    tickets as they can. Trademe are then making their cut on the profits too.
    The sooner scalping in NZ is made illegal, the better.

    Max, Dec 5, 2005

  2. Max wrote:
    > I wonder why trademe doesn't take a strict line on people reselling
    > tickets(such as the U2 and Sevens rugby ones) through their website. Even
    > though it is not yet illegal in NZ to scalp tickets(like it is overseas in
    > many 1st world countries) It is almost solely because of trademe (and other
    > NZ online auction sites, which trademe is the only real contender) that
    > people are overbuying tickets, and real fans missing out. It would be pretty
    > safe to say that 99% of teh tickets being sold at the moment for the U2
    > concert, on trademe, are being sold by scalpers who have purchased as many
    > tickets as they can. Trademe are then making their cut on the profits too.
    > The sooner scalping in NZ is made illegal, the better.

    Unless the tickets are purchased under the explicit condition that they
    are not transferable (a bit difficult considering one person usually
    buys all the tickets for groups of people), then reselling for any
    purpose DEFINITELY SHOULD NOT BE ILLEGAL.

    Obviously, the profits are taxable, but that is a completely different
    issue.

    TradeMe has lost a lot of respect from me by setting rules that
    discriminate against a lot of letigimate traders, and for putting up
    fees. If they were to stop people selling concert tickets, for any
    reason, then it would most definitely not be seen favourably by me.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Dec 5, 2005

  3. Max

    Matthew Guest

    "Max" <> wrote in message
    >I wonder why trademe doesn't take a strict line on people reselling
    > tickets(such as the U2 and Sevens rugby ones) through their website. Even
    > though it is not yet illegal in NZ to scalp tickets(like it is overseas in
    > many 1st world countries) It is almost solely because of trademe (and
    > other
    > NZ online auction sites, which trademe is the only real contender) that
    > people are overbuying tickets, and real fans missing out. It would be
    > pretty
    > safe to say that 99% of teh tickets being sold at the moment for the U2
    > concert, on trademe, are being sold by scalpers who have purchased as many
    > tickets as they can. Trademe are then making their cut on the profits too.
    > The sooner scalping in NZ is made illegal, the better.

    Huh - so the person who buys a ticket on Trademe for ~$1000 is not a "real"
    fan?

    Matthew, Dec 5, 2005
  4. Max wrote:
    > I wonder why trademe doesn't take a strict line on people reselling
    > tickets(such as the U2 and Sevens rugby ones) through their website

    Supply and demand. There are more people wanting tickets than there are
    tickets. The price will go up. For some reason, the reseller is capping
    the price, even though the market will obviously stand more. Scalping
    naturally follows. It is no more or less unfair than any way of
    allocating prices in the market.

    No matter how the tickets are sold, there are going to be x happy
    customers and y-x unhappy customers where x is the number of tickets
    available and y is the number of people who want tickets.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Dec 5, 2005
  5. On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:54:34 +1300, Max wrote:

    > I wonder why trademe doesn't take a strict line on people reselling
    > tickets(such as the U2 and Sevens rugby ones) through their website. Even
    > though it is not yet illegal in NZ to scalp tickets(like it is overseas in
    > many 1st world countries) It is almost solely because of trademe (and other
    > NZ online auction sites, which trademe is the only real contender) that
    > people are overbuying tickets, and real fans missing out. It would be pretty
    > safe to say that 99% of teh tickets being sold at the moment for the U2
    > concert, on trademe, are being sold by scalpers who have purchased as many
    > tickets as they can. Trademe are then making their cut on the profits too.
    > The sooner scalping in NZ is made illegal, the better.

    Heh cause for $1000, trademe gets $40...
    Maybe the promotors should sell all tickets by auction ... ;-)

    wogers nemesis, Dec 5, 2005
  6. Max

    Justin Guest

    wogers nemesis wrote:
    > On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:54:34 +1300, Max wrote:
    >

    >>I wonder why trademe doesn't take a strict line on people reselling
    >>tickets(such as the U2 and Sevens rugby ones) through their website. Even
    >>though it is not yet illegal in NZ to scalp tickets(like it is overseas in
    >>many 1st world countries) It is almost solely because of trademe (and other
    >>NZ online auction sites, which trademe is the only real contender) that
    >>people are overbuying tickets, and real fans missing out. It would be pretty
    >>safe to say that 99% of teh tickets being sold at the moment for the U2
    >>concert, on trademe, are being sold by scalpers who have purchased as many
    >>tickets as they can. Trademe are then making their cut on the profits too.
    >>The sooner scalping in NZ is made illegal, the better.

    > Heh cause for $1000, trademe gets $40...
    > Maybe the promotors should sell all tickets by auction ... ;-)

    Best idea I heard all day!

    Justin, Dec 5, 2005
  7. "The Other Guy" <> wrote in message
    > Max wrote:
    >> I wonder why trademe doesn't take a strict line on people reselling
    >> tickets(such as the U2 and Sevens rugby ones) through their website.
    >> Even
    >> though it is not yet illegal in NZ to scalp tickets(like it is overseas
    >> in
    >> many 1st world countries) It is almost solely because of trademe (and
    >> other
    >> NZ online auction sites, which trademe is the only real contender) that
    >> people are overbuying tickets, and real fans missing out. It would be
    >> pretty
    >> safe to say that 99% of teh tickets being sold at the moment for the U2
    >> concert, on trademe, are being sold by scalpers who have purchased as
    >> many
    >> tickets as they can. Trademe are then making their cut on the profits
    >> too.
    >> The sooner scalping in NZ is made illegal, the better.

    > Unless the tickets are purchased under the explicit condition that they
    > are not transferable (a bit difficult considering one person usually buys
    > all the tickets for groups of people), then reselling for any purpose
    > DEFINITELY SHOULD NOT BE ILLEGAL.
    >
    > Obviously, the profits are taxable, but that is a completely different
    > issue.
    >
    > TradeMe has lost a lot of respect from me by setting rules that
    > discriminate against a lot of letigimate traders, and for putting up fees.
    > If they were to stop people selling concert tickets, for any reason, then
    > it would most definitely not be seen favourably by me.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    I have no problem with the ticket thing either. This is something for the
    ticketing agents / show promoters to sort out.

    Lions tickets were for example able to be cancelled because the contract was
    non-transferable.

    Yeah, I like ebays model better , which allows contact between buyer and
    sellers to check goods before purchasing.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Dec 5, 2005
  8. "Justin" <4free.co.nz> wrote in message
    > wogers nemesis wrote:
    >> On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:54:34 +1300, Max wrote:
    >>

    >>>I wonder why trademe doesn't take a strict line on people reselling
    >>>tickets(such as the U2 and Sevens rugby ones) through their website.
    >>>Even
    >>>though it is not yet illegal in NZ to scalp tickets(like it is overseas
    >>>in
    >>>many 1st world countries) It is almost solely because of trademe (and
    >>>other
    >>>NZ online auction sites, which trademe is the only real contender) that
    >>>people are overbuying tickets, and real fans missing out. It would be
    >>>pretty
    >>>safe to say that 99% of teh tickets being sold at the moment for the U2
    >>>concert, on trademe, are being sold by scalpers who have purchased as
    >>>many
    >>>tickets as they can. Trademe are then making their cut on the profits
    >>>too.
    >>>The sooner scalping in NZ is made illegal, the better.

    >> Heh cause for $1000, trademe gets $40...
    >> Maybe the promotors should sell all tickets by auction ... ;-)

    > Best idea I heard all day!

    the prob is that nz are a bunch of techno phobes - this would exclude 3/4
    of the population from the market.

    Although, i do like the idea.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Dec 5, 2005
  9. Max

    Max Guest

    > wogers nemesis wrote:
    > > On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:54:34 +1300, Max wrote:
    > >

    > >>I wonder why trademe doesn't take a strict line on people reselling
    > >>tickets(such as the U2 and Sevens rugby ones) through their website.

    Even
    > >>though it is not yet illegal in NZ to scalp tickets(like it is overseas

    in
    > >>many 1st world countries) It is almost solely because of trademe (and

    other
    > >>NZ online auction sites, which trademe is the only real contender) that
    > >>people are overbuying tickets, and real fans missing out. It would be

    pretty
    > >>safe to say that 99% of teh tickets being sold at the moment for the U2
    > >>concert, on trademe, are being sold by scalpers who have purchased as

    many
    > >>tickets as they can. Trademe are then making their cut on the profits

    too.
    > >>The sooner scalping in NZ is made illegal, the better.

    > > Heh cause for $1000, trademe gets $40...
    > > Maybe the promotors should sell all tickets by auction ... ;-)

    > Best idea I heard all day!

    This idea has merit, and the promoters would definitely cash in if done
    properly. It would also show what a far market price for the tickets is. The
    promoter are also obviously disgruntled by the scalping as reported in the
    media(perhaps partially because they could have made more money, and you
    never know they may be scalping them too). I agree that they should link the
    tickets with the person who is going to use it.
    I was one a few who were one of the first to try and get tickets at a post
    shop for the sevens, and it was sold out before anyone in the postshop could
    even get a ticket. Therefore there was no opportunity whatsoever for me to
    get tickets, and I have been supporting the event since the first
    tournament. This issue happens whenever there is a major event, so the
    ticketing people should do something about it. My issue with trademe, is
    that they are just ignoring it, they should perhaps contact the promoters to
    suggest some form of auctioning system for selling tickets, which would
    counteract these opportunist scalpers.

    Max, Dec 5, 2005
  10. Max

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Mon, 5 Dec 2005 16:54:34 +1300, "Max" <>
    exclaimed:

    >I wonder why trademe doesn't take a strict line on people reselling
    >tickets(such as the U2 and Sevens rugby ones) through their website. Even
    >though it is not yet illegal in NZ to scalp tickets(like it is overseas in
    >many 1st world countries) It is almost solely because of trademe (and other
    >NZ online auction sites, which trademe is the only real contender) that
    >people are overbuying tickets, and real fans missing out. It would be pretty
    >safe to say that 99% of teh tickets being sold at the moment for the U2
    >concert, on trademe, are being sold by scalpers who have purchased as many
    >tickets as they can. Trademe are then making their cut on the profits too.
    >The sooner scalping in NZ is made illegal, the better.

    I really don't have a problem with it.

    If someone wants to camp out all night, why not grab a couple of extra
    tickets and flick them off on TradeMe? Good on them, I say.

    And why should Ticketek be the only ones that make any money from the
    tickets?

    The thing is, nobody is being ripped off, unless they are being forced
    to pay. By that I mean that the market it dictating the price. If
    someone is happy to sell something at a particular price, and someone
    else is happy to buy it at that price, then nobody is being ripped
    off.

    Fred Dagg, Dec 5, 2005
  11. Max wrote:
    > This idea has merit, and the promoters would definitely cash in if done
    > properly. It would also show what a far market price for the tickets is. The
    > promoter are also obviously disgruntled by the scalping as reported in the
    > media(perhaps partially because they could have made more money, and you
    > never know they may be scalping them too). I agree that they should link the
    > tickets with the person who is going to use it.

    Any formal linking tickets to people is a bad idea. Why should you
    necessarily have to decide who is going in your group months in advance?
    What if you want to give the tickets away, or use them in promotions?

    Currently airlines are screwing us over with 'non-transferable' tickets,
    even though they would provide the same service irrespective of who flys
    with them.

    It concert tickets become linked to people, then along with that will
    come 'discounted' tickets which can't be transfered, over-priced tickets
    that can be, and transfer fees. Because tickets are for fixed
    individuals, and there will be a certain number of no-shows who can't
    make it and can't even give their tickets away, tickets for venues will
    exceed capacity by a few percent, preventing ticket holders from even
    getting to see the show because they can't get seats because the venue
    capacity has been exceeded.

    The Other Guy

    The Other Guy, Dec 5, 2005
  12. Max

    Shane Guest

    On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 07:00:09 +1300, The Other Guy wrote:

    > Any formal linking tickets to people is a bad idea. Why should you
    > necessarily have to decide who is going in your group months in advance?
    > What if you want to give the tickets away, or use them in promotions?
    >
    > Currently airlines are screwing us over with 'non-transferable' tickets,
    > even though they would provide the same service irrespective of who flys
    > with them.
    >
    > It concert tickets become linked to people, then along with that will
    > come 'discounted' tickets which can't be transfered, over-priced tickets
    > that can be, and transfer fees. Because tickets are for fixed
    > individuals, and there will be a certain number of no-shows who can't
    > make it and can't even give their tickets away, tickets for venues will
    > exceed capacity by a few percent, preventing ticket holders from even
    > getting to see the show because they can't get seats because the venue
    > capacity has been exceeded.
    >
    > The Other Guy

    I think the issue about scalpers is, they are buying tickets they
    definitely dont need, purely to profit off them.
    Theres a shortage of the tickets, they have bought an amount they only
    want to resell, and people who do want to go missed out on the legitimate
    sale because of their bulk buying

    Shane, Dec 5, 2005
  13. Max

    thing2 Guest

    Max wrote:
    > I wonder why trademe doesn't take a strict line on people reselling
    > tickets(such as the U2 and Sevens rugby ones) through their website. Even
    > though it is not yet illegal in NZ to scalp tickets(like it is overseas in
    > many 1st world countries) It is almost solely because of trademe (and other
    > NZ online auction sites, which trademe is the only real contender) that
    > people are overbuying tickets, and real fans missing out. It would be pretty
    > safe to say that 99% of teh tickets being sold at the moment for the U2
    > concert, on trademe, are being sold by scalpers who have purchased as many
    > tickets as they can. Trademe are then making their cut on the profits too.
    > The sooner scalping in NZ is made illegal, the better.

    I used to find this a lot when I lived in London, if I could get a
    ticket I was lucky, usually the touts bought most leaving me to barter
    at the gate at huge markups or walk away...they did have some pluses
    though, if I had spare tickets I could get there a wee bit early and off
    load then onto the public or the touts and at least get my money back.

    regards

    Thing

    thing2, Dec 5, 2005
  14. Max

    Alan Guest

    "Max" <> wrote in message
    > I wonder why trademe doesn't take a strict line on people reselling
    > tickets(such as the U2 and Sevens rugby ones) through their

    website.
    > Even though it is not yet illegal in NZ to scalp tickets(like it is
    > overseas in many 1st world countries) It is almost solely because of
    > trademe (and other NZ online auction sites, which trademe is the

    only
    > real contender) that people are overbuying tickets, and real fans
    > missing out. It would be pretty safe to say that 99% of teh tickets
    > being sold at the moment for the U2 concert, on trademe, are being
    > sold by scalpers who have purchased as many tickets as they can.
    > Trademe are then making their cut on the profits too. The sooner
    > scalping in NZ is made illegal, the better.

    Surely it is a sign of the health of our 'free system' that when the
    original seller (promotor?) gets their pricing model wrong and leaves
    too much on the table (consumer surplus is that called?), then the
    market allows that to be taken up by those who have the motivation to
    do so?

    The people paying $1,000 for a ticket must (presumably) be happy with
    the price they are paying else why would they choose to pay it.

    Personally, I thought U2 were crap when I saw them at Wembly in early
    90's (Zooropa) - totally failed to engage with the audience. Their
    music is great, but as a live act they sucked and most of the audience
    agreed from the reactions (or lack of) they were getting - I hope for
    the people who bought tickets this time that they have improved in the
    years since.

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Dec 5, 2005
  15. Max

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > On Tue, 06 Dec 2005 07:00:09 +1300, The Other Guy wrote:
    >

    >>Any formal linking tickets to people is a bad idea. Why should you
    >>necessarily have to decide who is going in your group months in advance?
    >>What if you want to give the tickets away, or use them in promotions?
    >>
    >>Currently airlines are screwing us over with 'non-transferable' tickets,
    >>even though they would provide the same service irrespective of who flys
    >>with them.
    >>
    >>It concert tickets become linked to people, then along with that will
    >>come 'discounted' tickets which can't be transfered, over-priced tickets
    >>that can be, and transfer fees. Because tickets are for fixed
    >>individuals, and there will be a certain number of no-shows who can't
    >>make it and can't even give their tickets away, tickets for venues will
    >>exceed capacity by a few percent, preventing ticket holders from even
    >>getting to see the show because they can't get seats because the venue
    >>capacity has been exceeded.
    >>
    >>The Other Guy

    > I think the issue about scalpers is, they are buying tickets they
    > definitely dont need, purely to profit off them.
    > Theres a shortage of the tickets, they have bought an amount they only
    > want to resell, and people who do want to go missed out on the legitimate
    > sale because of their bulk buying

    There has always been scalping to one shape or another, When I last saw
    U2 I could only buy my ticket in a shop the internet was a geek thing
    and the likes of traidme didnot exsist. I think there where ticket sails
    at the front gate (official) And you could buy dogy Knockoffs from shady
    people just arround the corner, Or Jump the gate! It is just now you can
    buy the tickets so much faster and sellemoff just as quick to the slower
    people.

    Robert Cooze, Dec 6, 2005