    that's the way things have always been, doesn't mean that's the
    things always have to be.

    There are plenty of troubleshooting groups for these guys to post to.
    Tmack, Aug 10, 2005

  2. Tmack

    Pat Guest

    Tmack wrote:
    > The reason I made that post is because I have the notification
    > subscription so every time I get the notification via email, I head on
    > over to the group to check things out.

    So it's everyone else's problem that you're too fucking stupid to
    disable this feature, or use a real newsreader?

    > I don't want to be notified of someone's PC problems. I'll sign
    > up for notification on a troubleshooting group if I want that.

    Then turn off the "auto-notification"! This should not be difficult.

    > I don't think it's unreasonable for me to ask that people use this
    > group for what it was originally intended for. And just because
    > that's the way things have always been, doesn't mean that's the
    > things always have to be.'

    It is unreasonable for you to expect everyone to adapt to the way you
    think a group should operate when you've been posting here a grand total
    of a month. I know of no active group in the alt.* hierarchy that
    doesn't venture slightly off-topic from time-to-time. The fact that you
    are auto-notified every time a response is posted is *your* problem, not
    mine. I couldn't care less about it.
    Pat, Aug 10, 2005

  3. Tmack

    Tmack Guest

    Then why such a childish response? Seems that the lady protest too much.
    Tmack, Aug 10, 2005
  4. Tmack

    Pat Guest

    Seems like you're permanantly going into my killfile. **** off.
    Pat, Aug 10, 2005
  5. Tmack

    Tmack Guest

    I'm honored!
    Tmack, Aug 10, 2005
  6. Tmack

    Pat Guest

    Thumper wrote:

    > I've been on this group for a long time but rarely post. If things
    > other than the same 20 A+ questions were not allowed no one would
    > bother with this group. It would die. Many who come here are not only
    > trying to pass the A+ test but are trying to learn more about
    > computers. Question help us all learn. If you notice most
    > troubleshooting questions are the type that help you learn, not just
    > fix a computer.
    > Thumper

    Very well said. You hit on the points that I wanted to, but did so
    without gratuitous use of the f-word (unlike me) ;)
    Pat, Aug 11, 2005
  7. Tmack

    mike Guest

    if this group were ONLY about the 2 tests and not also about issues related
    to the subject of the tests then there would be fewer & less interesting
    posts and not much reason for those who have already passed the tests to
    hang around & answer test-related questions

    mike, Aug 11, 2005
  8. Tmack

    Unknown Guest

    "Tmack" <> wrote in news:1123707056.859208.94220
    @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

    > I don't want to be notified of someone's PC problems. I'll sign
    > up for notification on a troubleshooting group if I want that.

    There's one thing that irritates me more than OTP...and that's self-
    appointed newsgroup police.

    MYOB, STFU and ignore the posts you don't want to read.
    Unknown, Aug 12, 2005
  9. "Unknown" <parts@unknown> wrote in message
    > "Tmack" <> wrote in news:1123707056.859208.94220
    > @g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > I don't want to be notified of someone's PC problems. I'll sign
    > > up for notification on a troubleshooting group if I want that.

    > There's one thing that irritates me more than OTP...and that's self-
    > appointed newsgroup police.
    >
    > MYOB, STFU and ignore the posts you don't want to read.

    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAmen!
    Paul in Australia, Aug 13, 2005
  10. Tmack

    Linker3000 Guest

    Tmack wrote:
    > The reason I made that post is because I have the notification
    > subscription so every time I get the notification via email, I head on
    > over to the group to check things out.
    >
    > I don't want to be notified of someone's PC problems. I'll sign
    > up for notification on a troubleshooting group if I want that.
    >
    > I don't think it's unreasonable for me to ask that people use this
    > group for what it was originally intended for. And just because
    > that's the way things have always been, doesn't mean that's the
    > things always have to be.
    >
    > There are plenty of troubleshooting groups for these guys to post to.

    I see you got a lot of flak for your post!!

    I've been on this group for many years under a couple of nicknames and I
    do have some empathy with your comments, but I also see some sense in
    what others have said - mind you, I do not agree with some of the
    off topic stuff here for those who have passed A+ but would not
    otherwise stick around due to sheer boredom is stretching a point. What
    might become 'old hat' to those who have passed their cert will always
    be fresh to those who are just starting out - it's a revolving door
    thing - those who think otherwise should consider my position:

    I have written four sets of books on A+ (and two on N+, plus other
    training material). In fact I wrote the first ever set used in the UK
    for A+ training so if you are in the UK and have taken a classroom-based
    A+ course it is highly likely that the material you used comes from a
    set originally written by me, although I have not worked with the
    publishers for about 5 years and what they have done with it since my
    time is..well..another story!). I have also taught A+, N+, i-Net+,
    Netware Administration and a host of other technical topics in the
    classroom - I know the subjects inside and out and also worked with some
    of the people who helped write the A+ syllabuses, so every time I
    started a course I knew exactly what I was going to teach - in effect,
    my whole time in the classroom was spent going over stuff I could do in
    my sleep, but for every group of students it was new and interesting and
    I had to make sure my presentations were likewise - if I started to
    wander off topic or descend into monotone because the syllabus stuff was
    'boring' for me then I'd end up with a whole class asleep, confused, and
    unable to sit the tests.

    Looking at some of the posts in these here parts over the last year or
    so, many are way off A+ topic (reminder: this IS a newsgroup for A+
    certification and nothing else) and I would not be surprised if someone
    wandering over here to gain more knowledge on the A+ tests or syllabus
    was put off by some of topics thinking that they needed to know much
    more than the syllabus required but, hey, they know the folks in here
    are keen and are likely to offer help - even if it starts with the
    wonderful sentiment 'I've no experience of this but I'll offer some
    advice anyway...'

    If I had my way (unlikely!) I would encourage A+ 'graduates' to stick
    around and help others with the syllabus BUT also lurk in other
    technical groups to offer advice as appropriate AND encourage off-topic
    posters to move their queries elsewhere, but I doubt it will happen.

    If I was you I'd turn off the auto-notification!

    L3K
    Linker3000, Aug 15, 2005